Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcanise

Hello everyone, i guess to start it off ill bullet my background a bit

-6 year veteran of the USMC
-Quality assurance lead for platoon studios
-7 years experience as a computer tech from hardware to software networks and servers
-Youtuber that makes tutorial videos for kerbal space program and soon other games

found out about this game from scott manley, and now im waiting for my pre-alpha download link......hope to see you guys around and cant wait to make a mega city!

Thubin

Thank you for your service Arcanise.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

UNAgamer

I'm a bonafide nerd, the kind that gets lost reading about physics and mathematics concepts on wikipedia when I should be working on an invoice, loves "hard" sci-fi, and has numberphile on my youtube channel subscription list. Even worse, I find testing software fun (!) and have been doing so for a couple years on my free time. For a profession I consult on, design, construct and service automated industrial lubrication systems. I have previously worked (and originaly studied for) as a journalist - specifically I reviewed PC games and held a monthly column (if you're very young - think the print version of an opinion blog :D ).

Found out about Rimworld through watching Scott Manley, who I (surprise) watch for Kerbal Space Program stuff. Being an avid fan of strategy games in general (Civ, Starcraft, Wargame, Capitalism - though not a fan of the sequel) and definitely management games - though not sports management, since the only sports I watch is e-sport - see the thing about being a nerd. (And there's a thought - someone should make a team management game centered on e-sport rather than football.) Couple of lets-plays later and here I am.

Favourite game of all time is probably Frontier: Elite 2, though I confess that it now is probably some two or three years since I last played it. Some pseudo-remakes like EVE Online has pushed it aside for a while, but that game is where my heart is at. That thing was at least half of my childhood on the Amiga.

Most embarrassing game incident would be back in elementary school - I think I was 13 or 14. We were having a Quake tournament (my social sciences teacher snuck us in after school hours) and in the semifinals I was facing one of my best friends. The other semi had just finished, and our biggest rival had won that one. My friend figured I had the best odds of beating him in the final, so he propsed to lose the match on purpose. I agreed, and the game commenced... only to have me completely lose my game to the point of ending up in the lava so much that I actually lost to a player that was actively trying to lose... Ooooh man... 17 years later and he still reminds me about that. >.<

Breakfast? What's that? Well, if I do have it, it's usually a boiled egg and a bowl of youghurt with Müsli. And 2-3 cups of coffee. I don't do mornings.

Vilhelm

Hulloooo,

New here, be kind please : ]

Love this game.....this isn't my first post 0.o

- Will

cappie

knowledge-addicted nerd here with a strong love for creating things.. especially when those things create other things themselves.. I love sci-fi, genetic algorythms, agent-based AI, strategy games.

Also: Scott Manley introduced me to RimWorld.. I love the idea of this entire setup, but I would love to see some more Isaac Asimov's Foundation poured in there :)

Pandenutyun

Hello,
       Well i normally go by the name of Pandenutyun on Steam/Wow/Origin/PSN/XBL.
I originally heard of Rimworld by a crazy friend on mumble, he told me to go on kickstarter and from there the video hooked me and before finishing the whole video i knew this game was for me. So i backed it!
Something magical about this game hooked me from the combat the gathering resources the game style, the base building it all looks amazing. I still have not gotten my copy of the game but i have spent this whole week just browsing through information of the game and videos and i cant wait!
My Favorite games would have to be Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. World of Warcraft, Age of Empires and Arma 2 are also of my other liked games.
Best breakfast cereal has to be Lucky Charms hands down. "I'm Feeling lucky!"~Gav
Hopefully i get to write more and be active in the community and testing the alpha builds of the game.
This is actually my first forum i have ever gone onto to talk about a game that I'm anticipating, just wanted to share that to show my excitement towards this game.

JEBWrench

Hello, I'm Jeb! I'm really excited for Rimworld, and I decided I ought to join the forums.

As for the four questions:
I was introduced to Rimworld thanks to a Twitch stream.
My favourite other game is Thomas Was Alone (maybe Gone Home - depends on when you ask me)
My most embarassing gaming-related story... Well, I accidentally sent a small spacecraft sailing off into space today in Space Engineers.
And the best breakfast cereal: Flutie Flakes.

enystrom8734

Welcome to all new RimWorlders! Enjoy the forums!

I'd give out cookies but someone stole them! *cough* Semmy *cough*

Well anyways, enjoy!
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Stiffneck

Hi Everyone  ;)

My name is Stiffneck and i`m from Germany

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
A Friend send me a link and told me to look at it. I did and i really loved what i`ve seen,because i like these kind of games where you have to use your brain,thinking about tactics and plans to win/survive - So here i am  ;D

-What's your favorite other game?
1. Mount and Blade Warband Napoleonic wars, damn i played this game for so long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=borbQU4tHU0
2.Star Citizen  8)

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
In Napoleonic wars ,I was leading 30 guys in a Line, stood on a Hill and was looking for enemys with my spyglass .My Guys told me that i`ll get shot if won`t take some cover.I turned around to say something funny ,when a cannonball came by and hit me in the back-  and while laughing their asses of,the whole regiment came and teabaged me - i deserved it  ;D

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cornflakes ftw

Carfunf

Greetings and Salutations!

I am Carfunf and I have an addiction to rim world, I know I know I've only had it for less than 4 hours but I literally just stopped playing and had to sign up to the forums! This game... Holy hell its amazing! I had one successful colony.. and then 6 raiders showed up and blasted my defense out the waters.. Epically awesome!

TheSpaceMan

Jonas Pettersson.
Sweden.
Game Developer/ Consultant.

Working on my own game projects.

NoSoAna

Quote-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Found on a blog Towns - played it a lot for half a year. Then I switched to Gnomoria, a year and a half ago. And even though there were some other games in between, I poored a lot of time into Gomoria. Sadly, right now it is a bit stale, and I need a fresh challenge. Now when I saw this game at kickstarter...

Quote-What's your favorite other game?
Gnomoria

Quote-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Uhhmm... maybe the time when I lost orientation in DieVerdammten, a Browsergame. Not only I was in the middle of the desert with no energy left, a few others who followed as well...

Quote-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cereal? None of them. I prefer toast. Buttered with jam.

Pendryn

Figured I'd go ahead and do this...

I love these kinds of games. I found out about this one from the Stonehearth forums, another game I cheerfully backed.

You ask this like there could be only one? Hmm, let's name a few. Minecraft, Hearthstone (not to be confused with Stonehearth wich I am sure will join this list), Dungeon of Dredmore, FFXIV, Civ 5, and on and on and on...

Hmm, I guess it would have to be during Wrath of the Lich King in WoW. I was the guilds main tank and we had just started a fresh days attempt on the King himself. Well, there was a trinket in the game that I adored that basically allowed you to shoot a rainbow from your chest to your target for minor damage but holy geez a giant rainbow. And, well, I still had it on when I pulled. Ah well, nothing like being best rainbow pals with Arthas.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Other fun info about me y'all can frolic about with. I am a native Texan, probably won't leave. I work, usually as a set designer and builder for theaters, the the one I was at for the last three years recently closed down and I now spend my skills distributing petroleum to pay the bills. Also dogs. And cats. Amazing.
Reticulating all the splines.

Wopian

Hey guys and girls, i'm Wopian (Wuh-pe-an). I'm a graphics designer that's focused on logo design and illustrations (posters etc).

Scot Manley from YouTube (video. Also because it was a strategy game with a space theme I guess.

Project CARS or Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

I have no idea :(

Chocolate Shreddies & Cornflakes of course.

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

Kent Lang

Congratulations on a successful kickstart, Tynan and Ludeon Studios! I'm incredibly impressed with the launch and the most recent build of the game!

- What introduced you to RimWorld?
I saw RimWorld on the Steam Greenlight page and I greenlit it there, then I decided to fund the kickstarter. I hadn't gotten my eyes up for it if it wasn't for the Prison Architect-esque graphics that it currently have. I love Dwarf Fortress and all similar games, so I just had to jump on the boat on this game too.

How does it fare against Dwarf Fortress, Towns, Prison Architect and all other similar games? Pretty well I'd say. Already it's a fantastically solid game and I'm very optimistic to the development of the title.

- Favorite Other game
I would say Dwarf Fortress. Deus Ex is an amazing classic though.

Other than that I'm just a regular everyday Dwarf Fortress enthusiast.

Good luck with the development!