Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enystrom8734

Quote from: Ogaburan on September 19, 2013, 06:27:00 PM
-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Saw it on RPS and decided to dig some more information on my own...

-What's your favorite other game?
I will define myself as a turn based strategy fan, but not a fanatic. I enjoy good games.
Best games on my list:
1. Baldurs Gate
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. Civilization 4 (With mods! Vanilla alone wont deserve this spot)
4. Dominions 3 (4 is too alpha to judge but looks promising.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
(on teamspeak)
Recently I joined an Arma-II/III clan, and they asked me how old I was...
I thought them somewhat immature while we were playing.
It was more "chaotic" then i was used to form the milsims, and much more drama.
But only then I realized I was playing with a bunch of 15yo... with really deep voices!

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
You take a corn flake and put it on a cheeseburger.
DELISH!

Just one flake? Is it a special treat when you find it? :P
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Ogaburan

Just one... dont want to get fat now do we?

Jimbo_Gee

Hi there. i stumbled across this game while looking for a Dwarf Fortress alternative. I really like the idea of where this game could go. Anyways decided to sign up and see what happens. I really hope you decide to put this through steam. Can't wait for a demo.

Yarkista

Quote from: Jimbo_Gee on September 22, 2013, 03:06:20 PM
Hi there. i stumbled across this game while looking for a Dwarf Fortress alternative. I really like the idea of where this game could go. Anyways decided to sign up and see what happens. I really hope you decide to put this through steam. Can't wait for a demo.

Welcome to the forums.

Jakadasnake

I enjoy Indie games and definitely found myself very immersed in the world of FTL, so this just sounds great. Games like FTL and Sid Meier's Civ are definitely part of the reason I'm so fascinated with RimWorld.

Have to go with Dragon Age: Origins. Completely honest here, that game blew my mind more than when I first played Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Some of the greatest in-game storytelling I've ever experienced. And the characters! Great stories are told with great characters, and I found myself talking to these guys just to hear what their responses would be. Normally NPCs are a means to an end, but I grew attached to my team with Dragon Age. Granted, this happens with plenty of games (Planescape: Torment, anyone?) but DA:O was just my cup of tea I guess.
That being said, I play a LOT of games. Seeing just the one pick can be misleading.

Played a lot of World of Warcraft back in the day. On a particularly soggy day when I was in college, I had just broken up with my girlfriend and decided it would be a great idea to break out that handle of tequila I had in the cupboard to cope while I did some questing and talking with old friends on Ventrilo. There were probably 10 of my closest guild-mates that could, on that day, attest to me starting to get very loud and yelling a lot before disappearing entirely - without logging out. The next day I told them this story:
I came home, told my roommate I was getting drunk, and grabbed some tequila and beer before heading off to my room (master bedroom, so I had the bathroom and shower in there to myself). My roommate (let's call him Tom) was just happy I broke up with her and sort of shrugged off my declaration to get smashed. I tended to talk big back then. This time, it wasn't all talk. Probably an hour later, he went to Wal-Mart. Tom was there for 30 minutes tops. As he pulls into our apartment complex parking lot on his way home he notices an unusual ruckus - plenty of fire trucks and police vehicles. That's when he realizes someone messed up pretty bad. Doesn't think too much of it until he nears our apartment and sees that it is the source of all the commotion. Probably about 15 firemen/policemen in that tiny space, and my screaming (ex) girlfriend. He promptly left and went back to his car. He just sat in his car for 15 minutes before checking out the scene.
Here's what happened (and I remember snippets, but most of this is pieced together from other peoples' accounts): I got drunk and tried to take a shower. Of this I am certain. I blacked out somewhere between destroying my toilet tank (the bowl survived!) and calling my freshly-broken-up-with ex-girlfriend to remark about how much blood was in my bathroom. When I came to, I was in the hospital trying to console her while marveling at how large the gash in my arm was.

IHOP the morning after.

edits: grammar

Yarkista

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 24, 2013, 12:38:02 AM
I enjoy Indie games and definitely found myself very immersed in the world of FTL, so this just sounds great. Games like FTL and Sid Meier's Civ are definitely part of the reason I'm so fascinated with RimWorld.

Have to go with Dragon Age: Origins. Completely honest here, that game blew my mind more than when I first played Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Some of the greatest in-game storytelling I've ever experienced. And the characters! Great stories are told with great characters, and I found myself talking to these guys just to hear what their responses would be. Normally NPCs are a means to an end, but I grew attached to my team with Dragon Age. Granted, this happens with plenty of games (Planescape: Torment, anyone?) but DA:O was just my cup of tea I guess.
That being said, I play a LOT of games. Seeing just the one pick can be misleading.

Played a lot of World of Warcraft back in the day. On a particularly soggy day when I was in college, I had just broken up with my girlfriend and decided it would be a great idea to break out that handle of tequila I had in the cupboard to cope while I did some questing and talking with old friends on Ventrilo. There were probably 10 of my closest guild-mates that could, on that day, attest to me starting to get very loud and yelling a lot before disappearing entirely - without logging out. The next day I told them this story:
I came home, told my roommate I was getting drunk, and grabbed some tequila and beer before heading off to my room (master bedroom, so I had the bathroom and shower in there to myself). My roommate (let's call him Tom) was just happy I broke up with her and sort of shrugged off my declaration to get smashed. I tended to talk big back then. This time, it wasn't all talk. Probably an hour later, he went to Wal-Mart. Tom was there for 30 minutes tops. As he pulls into our apartment complex parking lot on his way home he notices an unusual ruckus - plenty of fire trucks and police vehicles. That's when he realizes someone messed up pretty bad. Doesn't think too much of it until he nears our apartment and sees that it is the source of all the commotion. Probably about 15 firemen/policemen in that tiny space, and my screaming (ex) girlfriend. He promptly left and went back to his car. He just sat in his car for 15 minutes before checking out the scene.
Here's what happened (and I remember snippets, but most of this is pieced together from other peoples' accounts): I got drunk and tried to take a shower. Of this I am certain. I blacked out somewhere between destroying my toilet tank (the bowl survived!) and calling my freshly-broken-up-with ex-girlfriend to remark about how much blood was in my bathroom. When I came to, I was in the hospital trying to console her while marveling at how large the gash in my arm was.

IHOP the morning after.

edits: grammar

Good to see you here Jaka, welcome.

Phazey

Hi there!

I'm Phazey. One of the older gamers, i'm guessing. Great, great fan of dwarf fortress... so much so that i'll surely get this game.

Great expectations! :D

My favorite games? Oh dear... so many to mention.

Shooters: Doom, Quake, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Battlefield, Left 4 Dead, Natural Selection, Day Z, etc.

Melee: Mount & Blade: Warband - cRPG, Chivalry - Medieval Warfare

Strategy: Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation (can't wait)

Building and creativity: Minecraft (Armadacraft hunger games anyone?), Starmade (...and Terraria i guess)

Misc: Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, Orcs Must Die, Reus

Anyhoo... i could go on listing games i like and played for hours. Let's talk about Rimworld instead. I like games that are difficult to master. I like complexity and well made mid- and endgame gameplay.

So i'm hoping Rimworld will take a page out of the Dwarf Fortress book and be unrealisticly ambitious, yet churn out some great gameplay mechanics. :)

Also, i love games that use procedurally generate worlds. You know, roguelike games that randomly generate levels. Or minecraft that creates terrain and biomes. Or dwarf fortress that simulates a whole world with civilizations and trade and such. Doesn't actually have to be that detailed, but just the suggestion that there's a bigger world out there is great.

I also have a soft spot for post apocalyptic and dark, grimey games that have a survivalist theme. You know, games that are grim. Worlds where bad stuff has harsh consequences. MMO's with full loot. Games with perma death. Think Fallout theme.

Do you know Rust? It's a game in developement, very alpha still. Bit of a Day Z with crafting and building. Stuff like that. Raiding other players, stealing their resources, getting raided and dying, losing stuff and rebuilding.

But i'm trailing off here. I'm hoping RimWorld will be difficult and will shamelessly borrow all that is good from Dwarf Fortress.

Put the emphasis on plenty of interesting challenges, random events and wave after wave of alien scum, hostile human pirates, weird and dangerous creatures and, of course, the means to face these baddies with intricate defensive structures and a well trained 'army'.

So be inspired by roguelike games, games that generate enviroments and worlds, management and strategy games and tower defence style games.

Good luck!

Jakadasnake

Hey there, welcome! Sounds like you have some pretty decent taste in video games.

Phazey

Why thank you Jake!  ;D Note that i didn't mention the hundreds of bad and mediocre games though.  ::)

And i probably failed to mention a few very important games, like the Civilization series and perhaps quite a few indie game gems like FTL... oh, and The Ship! (dead game from outerlight, was a true gem but never reached a big enough audience to prosper). Anyways, looking forward to tracking RimWorld's developement. Cheers!

enystrom8734

Welcome! I being new as well look forward to the future community this game can have :D
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Yarkista

Hello, welcome to the forums eny!

Alderon

Hello all! Names Alderon.  I don't post to Forums much but I am really looking forward to this game.
SO i found out about this game through another game forum (x-rebirth).  I have so many games that i can consider FAV's its like Answering what one of your kids you love the most.  :) I am a gamer what can i say. The most embarrassing game related story?  Well years ago I payed 25$ for a Cruiser, on a ebay like transfer, in eve online. I then went strait for a High risk sector with no back up or insurance. :( well that was BAD.  Now when it comes to cereal that is easy.  LUCKY CHARMS.  I am looking forward to loosing a great many nights sleep with this game.  Best of luck to you DEV AND By all means Hurry UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY... CHEERS.

Tynan

Quote from: Alderon on September 25, 2013, 09:31:01 PM
Hello all! Names Alderon.  I don't post to Forums much but I am really looking forward to this game.
SO i found out about this game through another game forum (x-rebirth).  I have so many games that i can consider FAV's its like Answering what one of your kids you love the most.  :) I am a gamer what can i say. The most embarrassing game related story?  Well years ago I payed 25$ for a Cruiser, on a ebay like transfer, in eve online. I then went strait for a High risk sector with no back up or insurance. :( well that was BAD.  Now when it comes to cereal that is easy.  LUCKY CHARMS.  I am looking forward to loosing a great many nights sleep with this game.  Best of luck to you DEV AND By all means Hurry UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY... CHEERS.

Oh? Where's the X-Rebirth thread about RimWorld? I'm curious.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jakadasnake

Quote from: Alderon on September 25, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

Cheers m8!

nomadseifer

Hello from Texas.  I'm a gamer who doesn't play that many different games.  I usually find a game I like and play that for a while.  I'm married, have a kid, and am in graduate school so when I have time to play I like to jump into a familiar and rewarding experience.  I've recently been researching to find that next Great game and came across Rim World.  It really looks up my alley so I'm hoping I get a chance to try it out soon. (Kickstarter Alpha access I assume?)

RPS Article.  FTL is the first and only rogue-like game I've played and I think its fantastic.

Fallout 2, Minecraft, Transport Tycoon, Civilization, Final Fantasy Tactics, Agricola, Crokinole. 

When I was 10, I sold my top-loading NES and all my games to my friend for $20....

Classic Frosted Flakes.

Heres a photo of my son. 

Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW