Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribbits

Hello all!
I'm Ribbits, and I'm a gamer/hobby enthusiast from the U.S.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I was browsing Kickstarter when I came across it, and I was hooked as soon as I read the words 'Dwarf Fortress' and 'Firefly' in the same sentence. So far, I have not been disappointed!

-What's your favorite other game?
That's a tough one... Probably Team Fortress 2 and the Total War series.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Probably any time I've tried to play an RTS online. There is a silver platter made just for serving me my own backside.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Another tough one. I think I'd have to go with Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.

DarkMyau

Hi. I'm Torgaddon

I found this game by accident (someone was complaining that it ripped off Prison Architect) and have wanted it ever since.

After watching Cristonians lets play (and raging at his small bedrooms) I decided to buy

I just bought the game and love it. Look forward to seeing what's next.

Cologan

o/ m8s,

i am Cologan, and as most here i love playing games. I learned about the game more by accident, i was searching for Dwarf fortress after i started playing Spacebase DF-9 . It took me 2 minutes of a youtube video to buy the rimwars. I am astonished how good it is already playable, i am used to alphas that you can barely launch without crashing.

I am student by day, eve online industrial lordling and freighter ganker by night. What i wish the most for the game is a multiplayer, because lets face it, everything is better when playing with or against friends.

Ashigaru

Howdy I'm Ashi (Ed IRL but you know, forum handle etc).

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:
  A friend recommended it the other night. We all jumped on board immediately.    It's great

League of Legends or BF4 currently.

Breaking a window when I threw a mouse mid counter strike match. I've learnt a lot since then...

Peanut Butter & Butter on toast (trust me on this).

I'd also like to formally complain that this is far more enjoyable for some reason than Battlefield 4. Looking forward to updates!!

Halley

Hey, I'm Halley (pronounced hay-lee).

I found RimWorld while browsing Kickstarter. It is the first project I backed that actually made it!

The Dwarf Fortress influence is what got me interested. My interest in DF goes way, way backâ€"years before I actually knew how to play it. I used to play a text-based, permadeath MMO (yes, I know that sounds crazy) called Cantr II, and a lot of the people I played with talked about Dwarf Fortress in the forums. I looked it up and became quite obsessed with the idea, but it was a long time before I actually learned how to play. The process of learning to play Dwarf Fortress was a long and interesting journey that involved online dating, moving to the other side of the world, and changing career paths. It was worth it, though.

Anyway, long story short, games that take their influence from Dwarf Fortress are of great interest to me, and I'd like to encourage game developers to work in that direction. I grew up on computer games like SimAnt and Creatures, and I couldn't wait to see what technological advances would bring to the world of simulation games. But then something happened: the PC gaming industry drastically changed its trajectory and abandoned the simulation niche in favor of marvelous 3D graphics and console-like gameplay.

I backed RimWorld as a show of support for this branch of gaming that has so long been neglected. I want developers to know that there is an interest in this kind of thing. If I end up loving RimWorld, too, that's a bonus.

As for my favorite other game, it's hard to settle on just one. I'd say Crusader Kings II probably clocks the most hours from me these days, though.

EtaBetaPi

Hi! I found out about Rimworld via browsing Kickstarter, and very much liked the idea. I feel it's a shame city-building games haven't seen that much focus in recent years, and that space colonisation games seem to be almost non-existant. I played Outpost many years ago and have often wished someone would make a better game along similar lines. And yes, I have played Dwarf Fortress and it is quite amazing.

My favourite game is Starcraft, for its considerable strategic depth and the sheer amount of excitement and tension present in each game. I also loved Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment for storytelling and the depth of the world they created. And... well, I've played lots of games, so the list of ones I like is quite long.

Theotenai

Hi there,
I'm Ludo from France. I discovered Rimwolrd from Das24680 Youtube channel.
My favorites games are probably X3, Distant Worlds, Deus Ex series, Anno series and Crusader Kings II (the only one not in a Sci-Fi genre ^^).
For me the main goal for a game is to create a good story (I really don't like competitive games like fast STR, MOBA and such, maybe because I'm incredibly bad at them ^^) so obviously Rimworld is quite the game I was waiting for !

Oh, and no cereal at breakfast, bread, jam, or bacon, eggs, but cereal ? Never !

Jelly

Heyo, I'm Jelly. I am an average gamer, playing games pretty much everyday but I'm also interested on how video games work, even since I was younger. It inspired me to learn a coding language as well, so I started to learn in Java, I dabble a bit in there but i'm nowhere near a professional yet!

I got introduced by Scott Manley on one of his videos, Signed up for a Kickstarter account and backed right away!

Possibly Kerbal Space Program, or Blockland, heck maybe even Spacebase DF-9. You know what, I can't make up my mind; I love them all!

I probably forgot all of them for a reason.

I don't eat breakfast!

Anyways, I hope to be here for a long time, possibly make some new friends, and watch RimWorld grow!

Ric

Hey everyone,

Ric here. Long time gamer, massive city builder/simulation fan. Been playing games since the late 80's & will continue to do so until the day I die :P

Noticed it on Steam's Greenlight a while ago & lit it up. Also saw a post about it on the Prison architect forums. I back a lot of Indie Alphas as they usually deliver the richest gaming experience in a lot of cases(I detest generic shooters, dumbed down games, etc...)& this one looked like it had a real promise. I've not been dissapointed so far!

All time favorite game is Simcity 4 with the rush hour expansion. I've lost more hours to that beast than I care to mention. Anything with a simulation/builder aspect I probably own. :P

When I first started playing Team Fortress 2 I equipped the persian persuader(not knowing it's effects) & continued to play with it for 6 months & getting no ammo pickups before I realised my mistake..lol! Good thing I main soldier(for anyone not familiar with the weapon, it changes all ammo pickups into health) It was an embarrassing find to say the least, lol!

Hard question....Love a lot of cereal. Country crisp is awesome when i'm feeling grown up. Frosties/sugar puffs when I'm not.

Nice to meet everyone!

TheEisbaer

Hi, I really like the game so far :D It's just awesome

Scott Manley did, but I also like Space/Strategy games in general^^
Kerbal Space Program. But this one is my most favorite game :D
All colonist left in my first game because I got everthing in one room :D

Danceresort

Hi Im Dave ageing gamer from back in the DOS days (What? You need 600kb Base mem and EMS?)

Saw it somewhere a while back and forgot to follow, then a guy from my work pointed out the kickstarter. I pulled a version from Pirate bay (yeah, I know, but I like to try before I buy), played for 2 hours and went and instantly bought it. Im a big fan of XCOM and Sim style games.

-What's your favourite other game?

The one I have put most time in to is WoW and the F1 series games from Codemasters. I would have to say the old Xcom or Sam and Max games would rank as my Fav's tho. I also have to rank Earth and Beyond up there, my 1st MMO.

Tanking with Red gear, or Mass fearing whelps in BWL trap room (old school WoW players will only know what that causes)

Granola in yoghurt and fresh raspberry's for me! (or Bacon ofc)

Showoff

Whatup, I'm Showoff. Not to be confused with a showoff.

-What introduced you to RimWorld?
Saw a first general thread for RimWorld on a certain site. I checked out an upload on TPB two days ago and ended up playing the entire day. I was super impressed that a pre-alpha was so polished so I looked up some info on the game and found out there was a kickstarter that I missed. Bought it off the main site last night, and now I'm here.

Dark Cloud 1 & 2, it's like a storylined dungeon crawler rpg with some city building. Warcraft 3 and Stronghold 2 are some favorites as well.

Not sure about most embarrassing, but I was rigging up traps on a friend in Terraria a few weeks ago and ended up blowing myself up...

Lucky Charms, they're magically delicious

Rex705

Hey Rex here I got the pirate class on kickstarter. I was just looking up and down the game section of kickstarter one day and clicked on RimWorld. The game looked and sounded awesome and I have always wanted a game like this. When I play RTS games I always like to build cool towns and defend them so RimWorld is everything I was looking for.

I have been gaming for most of my 28 years and I like all kinds of games mostly shooters and RPG's. Some of my favorite games are Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Ratchet & Clank and many more.

Col_Jessep

I found his game through Youtube, specifically Scott Manley, read the FAQs and joined the party.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Ludov

Hello Ludovsky here, or Ludovic by my real name. French canuck from the cold wastes of Quebec, I like to doodle art in my free time

I actually came upon the game after someone mentionned it in Gnomoria's forums, notably praising the random events the game's storytellers can spring on you. As that was something that I'd been looking for in the many sandbox managament games that take inspiration from DF, this instantly perked my interest.

I enjoy management games, but also those of the 4x genre a lot. I'm a fairly diverse gamer in anyways however.
Hard to say, there's probably a fair amount from bundles I made in various games ^^;
Oatmeal squares >.>; <.<;

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.
I do not have pictures of myself, but I doth have this little doodle I did from a  year ago: