The many-guns problem

Started by Tynan, October 22, 2013, 12:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDemonic

Going along the line of having weapons degrade, you could mark certain guns to be broken down into spare parts. To allow other guns to be repaired from said spare parts.
Or you can have the guns be broken down and added as metal to your inventory. It would have to be a small amount of metal to make sure it doesn't get exploited somehow. Maybe 10 metal per pistol, 20 for M-16s, 30 for M-24s and so on.

mumblemumble

Another simple idea is have guns expire after x amount of time....but these are all extreme cases I think, in the pictures, I only have a few gun racks, and I just sell my guns to a trader when I can. Plus items being everywhere is a problem other games have, fallout for instance...only difference is they eventually expire, AND you dont hang around 1 spot all the time.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Workload

The guns you get off the raiders should have missing hp. Durability affecting the price with trades pretty sure that's been said already. If someone on your team has a low durability gun a little pistol picture, big as the ! pops up over there head or if there's the same gun somewhere on a rack with higher durability but only at 50% they well look for a better gun and it has to be much greater. To stop them from looping.

Grenades should also lose 34 durability per toss making them 3 shots or go for even 25 per toss.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Workload on November 12, 2013, 03:47:58 PM
The guns you get off the raiders should have missing hp. Durability affecting the price with trades pretty sure that's been said already. If someone on your team has a low durability gun a little pistol picture, big as the ! pops up over there head or if there's the same gun somewhere on a rack with higher durability but only at 50% they well look for a better gun and it has to be much greater. To stop them from looping.

Grenades should also lose 34 durability per toss making them 3 shots or go for even 25 per toss.

This would only be acceptable if grenades were a secondary device. Having five throws before you're down to your fists wouldn't work unless your fighting position was backed by an armory full of grenades/Molotovs. Which, you know, is fine for the defenders! But the raiders might have a problem with it. (Then again, I wouldn't have a problem with the raiders being so limited.)

Grenades should probably lose 20 durability/throw, Molotovs should lose 34. It's easier to carry pineapple grenades on a belt than it is to carry whiskey bottles full of alcohol and flaming rags.
Raiders must die!

Kregoth

I don't think the too many guns is an issue, in fact I think having a crap ton of guns you can't use is better. Ammo is what should be a huge issue, specially for different calibers. After all what use is a gun with no ammunition? Ammo should be hard to make, and hard to obtain in large quantities.

I think that the rarer the gun, the rarer it is to find good ammo, maybe we can make some but they would be less accurate, and has a higher chance to cause a blow back and/or jam. We get ton's of pistols, that's a lot of pistol ammo... great! A lot of ammo for pistols and perhaps uzi, but nothing else benefits from it.

I think buying new guns should be very expensive, they are in good condition and not used, selling ours would be treated very cheaply, usually worth more to scrap for the metal than to sell it for cash.

Workload

I agree 100% with ya ShadowDragon

lt_halle

I'm with the guy who suggested the huge thing on gun parts and tech trees.

That seems like a really cool feature to me that solves all points nicely.

Morrigi

Quote from: lt_halle on November 12, 2013, 06:49:14 PM
I'm with the guy who suggested the huge thing on gun parts and tech trees.

That seems like a really cool feature to me that solves all points nicely.
This. And it adds depth to the game, which is sorely lacking at the moment.

Stickle

Quote from: GC13 on October 22, 2013, 01:32:48 PM
1) Reason to limit the number of colonists in combat. This will allow you to dial down the number of raiders. I recommend making is so combat skills not only make you more likely to hit an enemy, but less likely to be hit. If my four hardcore combatants, who have low colony-growth skills, can handle the five raiders and probably won't be seriously hurt, why would I risk the eight people who keep my colony running and are far more likely to be seriously hurt without doing much?

I love this. It also makes colonists like assassins less useless; having dedicated fighters who can pretty much do nothing else is suddenly a lot more reasonable, and we get fewer weapons showered on us.

I would vote for a combination of this, and being able to salvage weapons for scrap metal and/or spare parts (if some kind of crafting is eventually implemented).

Even if we can manage to sell off most of our guns to traders, the only reason I do it is to save space in my armory... After a couple hours I never get slave traders, and the only thing I ever buy from traders is metal. And there's never enough available to make a dent in my mountain of money accumulated from selling guns.

Merry76

Tinkering with weapons could also be a science thing: Scientists need some use after you got the research done they are pretty useless (My scientists have higher growing and construction skills after a while, simply because there is so little Science to do, and so much to grow/repair).

Tinkering/recalibrating weapons is a at least partly scientific. That, and researching vaccines for all kinds of new diseases and ailments...

GC13

I worry that if we are allowed to recycle guns into scrap metal that we'd be faced with one of two circumstances: guns either give an unrealistic amount of metal (remember how cheap very large objects are for material), or people complain that their gun yields less than one tenth of the metal that they could have sold it for. Guns aren't valuable for their raw material though, they're valuable for the machining that's gone into them. It's akin to melting your car down: you'll get a lot less metal out of it than if you had sold it (even to a scrap yard, but preferably to someone who wanted to drive it) and used the proceeds to buy metal.

Workload

Just adding to this how about, and this if just a if.

New race of raiders were to be made they could have guns that your people can't use at all so should be less guns.

One race could use bio weapons so they are part of them or a race that very high tech and when they die there guns blow up so no one can use them.
Sorry if this is off topic but I'm just thinking ahead and hoping there will be more then 1 type of enemy.
Still down for the mods,repairs, and so on :)

windruf

Quote from: Noxmutagen on October 22, 2013, 02:50:25 AM
Oh I'm HOPING he has a inventory system planned. Much like Dwarf Fortress, that was sick. Backpacks, etc.
never played dwarf fortress, but gnomoria: right boot, left boot,...
one piece of clothing is ok, 2-4 perfect, 10 way to much ;)

and to our guns: may-be there should be a "S-Bay Trading Company" that buys everything for 1/10 of normal price.

SpecOpSniper

Weapons: Possibly make a resource for Ammunition... Not per weapon but in the top left... Whenever a weapon is fired, and maybe Molotov and frags take 2 "ammo" per throw, your ammo goes down... then when you get weapons and put them into a rack for the first time, you gain a certain amount of ammo... Or random ammo drops and eventually you get to Combat Suppliers and sell weapons to them to buy ammo... Since near-end game they become useless other than to fence your weapons. This would allow Ammo into the game without micro-management of ammo for each individual weapon.

Also maybe some sort of Forge, Melt down weapons for metal at an expensive rate (not money but weapon cost -20%, avg metal cost +20%, conversion). so say R-4 Rifle is $1300, avg Metal is $10 (20 expensive) but we will say 130 metal for $1300. you can melt an R-4 Rifle for (-20%cost, +20% expense) approx 78 metal... You get deducted massively... but you do not have to buy and sell multiple traders just for metal. This can work the same for emergency ammunition. whatever a balance ammunition would be and same conversion.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Workload on November 13, 2013, 02:50:04 PMJust adding to this how about, and this if just a if.

New race of raiders were to be made they could have guns that your people can't use at all so should be less guns.

Bugger that. Bugger that right up the jacksie with an overvolted cattle prod.
Raiders must die!