A17, 2 things. Sedation of addicts to recovery and wooden floor incendiary traps

Started by Rafe009, May 28, 2017, 10:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe009

Started a new game and havn't had much time to play around with these things but i was curious about what people thought of the potential of these two things.

1. Now when we have addicts rather than allow them to wander about in a continuous fowl mood we can sedate/anesthetize them with healroot and essentially allow their addition to wane while they don't stomp about having tantrums and potentially threatening to go on another drug binge and reset or back-peddle their addiction rate.  Havn't played around with the possibilities of this as i'm not even past my first winter yet nor do i have any drugs or chemically interested people.  What do you guys think about this in terms of efficacy and even balance?

I guess we can euthanize people liek this by giving them a healroot sedative, then some smokeleaf and then some beer, it would drop their consciousness low enough to descend into death. Or maybe anesthesia stacks? - havn't tested.

2. With wooden floors could incendiary proximity mines be a better option for dealing with raiders? Lure them into interior chambers that are specially layered with wooden flooring and detonate or even molotov. Rather than building beds plant pots and chairs and stacking them in a single room we can make incendiary traps much quicker possibly for cutting off escape or incinerating a mass of raiders at an opportune time.

Any body play around with these concepts?

ITypedThis

I've set up incendiary IEDs on 5x5 wooden floors here and there around my base, but so far nothing's triggered them.

They seem extremely underwhelming by themselves though, if there's nothing around to burn. I had one trigger on plain sand and dirt patch in my base while some man-eating foxes were roaming about. After stepping on the thing about fifty times it finally set off, and it only set one of the four or five foxes around it on fire.

I get that it's probably not meant to be used against animals, but I would have at least expected the whole blast area to be a blaze of glory, like a really big Molotov with fuel puddles to sustain the fire for a bit. Maybe the wooden floors will let the fire spear a little more. Otherwise, why not just use a regular IED?

EDIT: The wooden floors don't do too much. A few squares catch fire, but unless you build the IED & floors in a tight chokepoint you'd be better off with even just a deadfall trap, if not an explosive IED.

Rafe009

Quote from: ITypedThis on May 28, 2017, 11:37:39 PM
I've set up incendiary IEDs on 5x5 wooden floors here and there around my base, but so far nothing's triggered them.

They seem extremely underwhelming by themselves though, if there's nothing around to burn.

EDIT: The wooden floors don't do too much. A few squares catch fire, but unless you build the IED & floors in a tight chokepoint you'd be better off with even just a deadfall trap, if not an explosive IED.

I was think that this would more or less be a system employed for a raiders. A small room that opens from your kill box to the exterior so they must enter it to get into your base proper.

Another system i'm considering is paneled flooring that they run over and then i would ignite that with a Molotov as they attempt a retreat so their paths is blocked by fire.

ITypedThis

Quote from: Rafe009 on May 30, 2017, 09:22:03 PM
Quote from: ITypedThis on May 28, 2017, 11:37:39 PMSnip snip!

I was think that this would more or less be a system employed for a raiders. A small room that opens from your kill box to the exterior so they must enter it to get into your base proper.

Another system i'm considering is paneled flooring that they run over and then i would ignite that with a Molotov as they attempt a retreat so their paths is blocked by fire.

The fires they start are extremely small, I don't think just a small room would have much of an effect on incoming raiders.

An idea I've thought of is to have a long, thin corridor with wooden floors and IEDs at the front and end. Ideally, the IEDs would explode as the first pawn went though and again when the same pawn leaves. Anything else would hopefully be caught between two growing flames travelling along the wood towards them. I haven't gotten to test this idea at all, but that'd be one of the only ways to make a practical use of an incendiary IED, in my opinion.

Otherwise, they at most distract and stall a few raiders for a couple seconds. They might even down a wimp. :P

Serenity

I usually lock people in prison to detox them. They will still freak out, but it contains the damage. Will check out sedation though :)

Limdood

was thinking about how to make the wood floor fire trap work.

What i came up with was a 7x7 room with 1 granite door leading into your base, and TWO doors leading outside.  The 7x7 room would be the only entrance, and one of the two "outside" doors would be "held open" with incendiary traps just inside of it.  The other door would be closed and untrapped (this way your colonists have a trap-free path and won't trip the incendiary, but raiders will still path over it).

Since the room IS enclosed, but just has an open door, it will still retain heat (whereas a room with a destroyed door is considered "outside" and is temp locked), and with fires spreading, it will retain enough heat to be lethal even with an open door.  The granite door on the other side will slow down raider attempts to break out of the room, but another buffer room is still probably a good idea.

I may try to build this in dev mode and see how it fares

Wanderer_joins

I don't think the wooden floor would do much. The temperature would not rise since they destroy doors/ walls on their way, and they already deal realtively easily with burning floors (like when they ignite your crops). You can certainely use them in a killzone, but i doubt they would be very efficient.

I've been using the incendiary traps for bugs. 300+ days in my A17 game, infestations have been among the most dangerous threats when i tried to kite them. So I decided i would deal with them asap, with fire: http://imgur.com/rOljSeP

drunetovich

Sedation is crazy powerful, not only drug addictions can be easily managed by putting pawns to forced sleep, but any personal issue really.
Husband died? Sedation.
Bonded animal death? Sedation.
Felling bad for no apparent reason? Sedation.
Saw one too many corpses just now? Sedation.
All temporary de-buffs keep ticking down while pawn peacefully knocked out with harmless non-addictive herbal.

8roads

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on May 31, 2017, 01:01:24 PM
I don't think the wooden floor would do much. The temperature would not rise since they destroy doors/ walls on their way, and they already deal realtively easily with burning floors (like when they ignite your crops). You can certainely use them in a killzone, but i doubt they would be very efficient.

1. Raiders will no longer compulsively attack doors now. ( such good news
2. We don't have to complete building wooden floors to make wood flammable, just leave enough stacks of 2-3 to make fire big and angry :P

8roads

Quote from: Limdood on May 31, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
was thinking about how to make the wood floor fire trap work.

What i came up with was a 7x7 room with 1 granite door leading into your base, and TWO doors leading outside.  The 7x7 room would be the only entrance, and one of the two "outside" doors would be "held open" with incendiary traps just inside of it.  The other door would be closed and untrapped (this way your colonists have a trap-free path and won't trip the incendiary, but raiders will still path over it).

Since the room IS enclosed, but just has an open door, it will still retain heat (whereas a room with a destroyed door is considered "outside" and is temp locked), and with fires spreading, it will retain enough heat to be lethal even with an open door.  The granite door on the other side will slow down raider attempts to break out of the room, but another buffer room is still probably a good idea.

I may try to build this in dev mode and see how it fares

you might need a larger maze
and more doors.
victims must be exposed to extreme temperature long enough to be incapacitated.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: drunetovich on June 02, 2017, 05:16:48 AM
Sedation is crazy powerful, not only drug addictions can be easily managed by putting pawns to forced sleep, but any personal issue really.
Husband died? Sedation.
Bonded animal death? Sedation.
Felling bad for no apparent reason? Sedation.
Saw one too many corpses just now? Sedation.
All temporary de-buffs keep ticking down while pawn peacefully knocked out with harmless non-addictive herbal.
Maybe sedatives ought to be addictive?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

TheMeInTeam

I'm not so sure, since you're losing a ton of potential pawn time to it.  It's like a long-term mental break.  Couldn't you get a similar result just walling someone into a room with a paste dispenser and a bed and letting them berserk about pointlessly?

Rafe009

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on June 02, 2017, 03:40:32 PM
I'm not so sure, since you're losing a ton of potential pawn time to it.  It's like a long-term mental break.  Couldn't you get a similar result just walling someone into a room with a paste dispenser and a bed and letting them berserk about pointlessly?

I'm not totally sure yet. If you're swimming in healroot you can still arrest and imprison your upset colonists but does this strain social relations for a long period after catharsis? Also you risk the chance of the pawn retaliating when arrested ( i think i have, in the middle of combat, accidentally clicked arrest colonist rather than "go here" and caused a tantrum while charge lances and inferno cannons were firing over two of my fellow colonist's heads that were now fighting each other behind the sandbags rather than the mechanoids). You can arrest and imprison or you can sedate and let them sleep off the potential psychotic state, either situation pawns are unavailable for productive labor or fighting - in the later case they come out of their unusable state WITHOUT the debufs of ate insect meat nutrient paste meal and are tremendously rested and ready for work.

Perhaps that itself is an imbalance and a pawn who exits sedation should be lethargic and have reduced consciousness for a significant period of the following day

Rafe009

Quote from: drunetovich on June 02, 2017, 05:16:48 AM
Sedation is crazy powerful, not only drug addictions can be easily managed by putting pawns to forced sleep

I think it should also be noted that this  MIGHT be a substitute for a luciferium addicted pawn. Back in a16 I had really robust prison with a platesteal door. I deliberately infected a prisoner with luciferium and then let him go into withdrawal assuming the withdrawal symptoms were lethal, they weren't. This surprised me as i though luciferium was lethal but i didn't test this past 2 seasons.

What happened was the addicted simply went into a bezerk rage and proceeded to smash his hands against the platesteal door continuously for weeks. He would only stop for starvation - and actually ate from the paste dispenser - or exhaustion. When he finished eating or awoke after having passed out on the floor he would return to the platesteel door and begin smashing his knuckles against it continuously. I had to repair it daily and forbid cleaning within the prison during his boarding.

Whatever the case if you have somebody addicted to Luci yet don't have cyrosleep caskets and lack available luci another way to buy some time might be sedation - or a really nice platesteel door and a solitary room.

Surprisingly the berserk luciferium prisoner did not beat his paralyzed roommate to death. Also I really expected the bastards hands to be pulped DF style after smashing his fists into plate steel for over a season.