[Project] (Alpha 8) Stone to Steel

Started by ItchyFlea, April 25, 2014, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Stone to Steel

Preamble:
Crash-landing on an unknown RimWorld after using escape pods from your ship isn't exactly the most efficient way of colonising a new world. As such, your colonists have been basically thrown back into the stone age. I'm considering allowing a colony to advance up a tech-tree of sorts, moving from Stone Age to Copper Age then to Bronze Age and possibly beyond.

From what I've seen in the changelog for A7, it looks like the game will have what I want to be able to fully develop this mod. (Melee weapons (See Sept 5) Making things out of different stuff (See Aug 27) and a few other things that have been added since I first announced this project back in A3.)

Project Goal:
To build a mod that prevents the player from immediately being able to build technological things from the get go, but rather makes them advance up a tech tree. Starting with simple stone tools, and slowly advancing up the tech tree until metalworking becomes accessible.

Current Status:
Shelved

Mod Team:
ItchyFlea
Duncan
Shinzy

Things planned/considered:
Mineable resources (Flint, Copper, Clay)
Growable resources (Flax for fibre)
New crafting items.
Actions require tools (IE: Can't cut down a tree without an axe equipped.)

Things to note:
This will be a core replacement mod.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

Reserved for future use.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Xeewon

Looking forward to the future of this! Seems very cool.

Cala13er

It would appear everyone is releasing their plans for full conversion mods. Time to reveal mine. :P

Also, the muffalo and cookpot have a value of 0. RimWorld doesn't like this ;)

ItchyFlea

I had initially planned to keep this secret until it was mostly finished, but keeping things secret doesn't really help. By releasing early, I can get feedback and incorporate that into the finished product.  :)

As for the item values, oops.

Cala13er

Quote from: ItchyFlea on April 25, 2014, 03:05:06 AM
I had initially planned to keep this secret until it was mostly finished, but keeping things secret doesn't really help. By releasing early, I can get feedback and incorporate that into the finished product.  :)

As for the item values, oops.

Well considering I don't have anything better to do and I have the least amount of motivation to improve Industrial RIM as I'm not proud of it at all. If you're looking for a mod team, I need something to dedicate whatever free time I get nowadays on. If so, sign me up. If not I will forever test your mod and give feed back (Not that I wouldn't do that if I was part of the team)

And hahaha :) And no don't change it, I've always wanted tons and tons of cookpots :P It seems to be the most advanced thing in this mod.

ItchyFlea

A few things I was going to add much later on all require .dll's to work correctly. If you're up for it, here's a list of things that would use .dll's, in no particular order. (This also works as a spoiler for future features.) :D

Deer-like creature that has antlers. When attacked, will charge and attack whoever is trying to kill it.
Harvestable plants able to drop more than 1 item when harvested. (Food and seeds) Goes with the growzone change.
Growzones require seeds for planting new crops.
Only a colonist equipped with an antler pick is able to mine rock. (Also used as makeshift hand-to-hand weapon.)
"Mineable" ground terrain, for a pottery system. (Would mostly only add aesthetic things.)
Buildable roofs. A self-constructing metal roof is a little unrealistic for a neolithic colony.

Other things I've thought about will depend on how Tynan implements future features.

Cala13er

Just wondering Itchy, Are you still developing this? I've found a way to make the buildable roofs. So will get it back to you if you need.

ItchyFlea

Yip.  :)
I've been focusing on the map generators lately as a lot of what I learn there will be applied to this.

ItchyFlea

In case anyone is wondering, this is still being worked on, albeit quite slowly.
Maybe committing myself to releasing an update by the end of the week will help motivate me to spend some quality time on this.

Yep. That's what I'll do. I will (hopefully) have a decent update ready for this by the end of the week. Won't be anywhere near finished, but it'll be progress. :)

mrofa

Are they will be stranded in that tribal era or are you planing some advencements, and i dont mean going up to plasma plant destroyers, something more like tribal/steampunk with more steam than electricity :D
All i do is clutter all around.

ItchyFlea

They won't be able to go past the Chalcolithic period.
So despite being called a Neolithic mod, I decided to include the copper age if I can get colonists to only mine copper ore when they are equipped with an antler pick.

Cala13er

How come you're stopping at the Chalcolithic period? Why not any further?

ItchyFlea

The colonists simply won't have the ability to advance any further, due to a lack of materials and a lack of technology. A group of real people would be in the same situation. If you or I were placed on an island, despite all our knowledge, we wouldn't be able to achieve certain things.

I'm a computer technician. I know how to build one, and how to fix one, but if you were to place me on an island, all the time in the world would not be enough for me to be able to build a computer.
I'm also a medieval combat reenactor. (Not currently. Long story) I know how to make medieval armour, medieval tools and weapons, and how to fight using them (Some, not all). You stick me on an island, with enough time, I could make rudimentary versions of those tools.

For those interested, this is what a friendly match looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icpp02oJ1as
And this is what a not as friendly match looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnG30HmSxQ
At the 25 second mark in the second video, the weight stated (40kg) is equal to 88 pounds.

mrofa

You can make radio from bits of metal, some wood and some organic matter(prafably dead one). You can produce decent amouts of electricity from 2 diffrent types of metal and some bio matter.
Then just call for trader to bring you other stuff that you need, like schematic, rare materials.
With proper knowledge you dont really need much.

But then again i would like to see my colonist engage in meele combat with some tribals, especialy now with the dresser mod you could canibalize it abit and make various armors, like light skin armors for archers to move faster and heavy armors for meele :D

I did play abit with melee weapons and i think you could use range 2 on them to prevent going in normal hand 2 hand combat.
All i do is clutter all around.