[Project] (Alpha 8) Stone to Steel

Started by ItchyFlea, April 25, 2014, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Duncan on October 05, 2014, 08:37:30 AM
Good to see some progress. I still feel like weapons are not the best solution though as I feel like a pawn should be able to carry an axe and still fight with a bow, but I think it is probably best to go ahead with what you are doing and refactor it later. As Tynan says in his blog, it is better to iterate fast and not care about making it perfect.
I agree. However I do not know of a way to have both equipped at the same time, and the secondary equipment tag within save files is gone.
But yeah, once all the content is in, we can then look at making it fit together properly with some semi-realism. :)

EDIT:
Making progress. Download here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3303.0;attach=4101 (Have not tested Iron/Steel additions, but they should work.)
Added:

• Stone, Copper, Bronze, Iron and Steel Hand Axes. (And recipes to craft them. Still all at the butchery table.)
  • Iron and Steel Pickaxes. (And recipes to craft them. Still all at the butchery table.)
  • All stone/rock/ores have 10x more health than normal. This is to make mining much slower, and to make higher tier tools desirable. Mining copper with a deer antler takes about a day in-game. The higher the tier of tool used, the quicker it goes.
  • Made tin (required for bronze) more common. On at least one mountain map only a single vein spawned.
  • Added carbon. Made from wood at the butcher table.
  • Renamed metal to Iron.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

New Build Attached.

Added:
Copper Ore, Tin Ore, Iron Ore.
Table for smelting ore into usable ingots (no cost to build it).
Changed:
Graphics used by ingots.
Mineable ores drop ore, not ingots.
Most power using buildings now require wire. (Crafted at butcher table for now) (Forgot to change power-producing buildings... :-[ Whoops.)
Removed:
Efficiency stat from tool making definitions. Now only 1 tool per bill, instead of multiple tools for high level crafters.

Other:
Internal mod changes, moved definitions around and made things make a little more sense.

Probably did other things. Wasn't really making notes this time. Everything seems to work in-game though. Gave a quick test.

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

ItchyFlea

New Build Attached

Added/Changed:
Tables for building tools. Now certain tools require certain tables.
Ore smelting. Certain ores require certain tables.

Probably added other things as well. This update had parts added to it over a few days, and I wasn't able to make notes of what was added. Everything should work and there should be the beginnings technological advancement.

ItchyFlea

Sorry for the lack of updates. My free time no longer exists. :-\
I'll still try to get something done this weekend.

To those who have been playing the dev builds: What are your thoughts on how this is developing?

Cala13er

Quote from: ItchyFlea on October 24, 2014, 12:15:12 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates. My free time no longer exists. :-\
I'll still try to get something done this weekend.

To those who have been playing the dev builds: What are your thoughts on how this is developing?

Me, loving it so far :)

ItchyFlea

Working on an update. Adding something I like: Medieval weapons and armour. Chainmail, Platemail, Longswords, probably more as I add each item. ;D

EDIT: Goodbye OP metal at start of game. You still exist, but are now useless. :)
EDIT2: Oh god, I need textures.... I think I'll "borrow" the game's normal textures for now.

EDIT3: Added new build.

Changes/Additions:
Metal that you start the game with is almost entirely useless. Everything (except floors) now requires iron ingots instead of metal to be built.
Neolithic melee weapons are craftable at a new crafting table.
Added longsword. Crafted at same table. Check bill recipes to see the required materials for each craftable weapon.
Chainmail armour can be crafted. Also at a new table. Provides a high defence bonus against blunt weapons. Made from rings.

Fixes:
Fixed bug with iron ore smelter that effectively crashed the game when it was built.

ItchyFlea

New build available.

This one fixes flooring so it uses iron instead of useless metal. It also adds craftable platemail armour.
Textures given by Shinzy have been added. Those textures are for all handaxes, all pickaxes and all ingots. (Well, technically only 1 ingot, but recolouring took all of about a minute, so yeah.)
I've also modifed power armour textures so that chainmail and platemail have their own textures. They don't look all that great, but it's better than nothing. :)

The build is attached below.

EDIT: Next build removes the starting weapons. Early-game hunting now comes with risks, as only melee weapons are craftable. :)

«Temple»

I would love to help with this but I am not super good at modding :P

ItchyFlea

When I get home tonight I'll release what I've been working on. It doesn't add much as I haven't had the time, but it does do 2 things:

1) Removes the lee-enfield and pistols that you get at the start of the game.
Those 3 guns almost negate the point of having to make your own weapons.

2) Removes growing zones.
Yep. They're gone. Eventually I'll get my plantable sapling code (from my long-dead wood economy mod) working again and you'll be able to plant crops. (For now you'll have to rely on pre-existing food crops and/or hunt for food.)
The growing time of crops will be increased (probably by x5), but they'll also be made to be permanent, like pre-existing food sources available on the map. (Raspberries, Agave, etc) so you won't have to replant them everytime they're harvested. I'll also make seeds craftable and purchasable.

For my own reference, and for you guys to see what I'm thinking about adding to future releases (In no particular order. No guarantee any of these will make it into the mod.):
Craftable seeds. (Craft from harvested foodstuffs)
Purchasable seeds. (Probably come in packets of 10, and at a price above the threshold for resource pod crashes so you don't get them too early in-game.)
Possibly more plants that can be used for multiple purposes, such as making simple bandages...
Make beds require cotton before they can be made. Add an inbetween bed type to help alleviate the 'slept on ground' debuff while waiting for cotton plants to grow.
Remove research requirement for tailoring.
Make more types of clothing craftable. (Tribal-wear FTW ;D)
Add plants that can be used for making ranged neolithic weapons. (Bows.)
Add cross-bows.
Add ballista as a mortar building. (accurate, low-damage, no blast radius, so directhit = injury/death, miss = nothing)
Add trebuchet as a mortar building. (Will require an attached hopper loaded with rocks.)
Change existing mortar's to require an attached hopper loaded with shells. (Well, technically add new mortars, so that AI siegers can still use their own mortar buildings.)
Change thickroofs in such a way that they can eventually be removed. (Even possible?) (Multiple collapses required to actually remove it.)
Add a sandbag variant that can be made with chunkrocks.
Give useless metal a use. (But what? Flooring material? Ammo for trebuchet?)
Make simple guns craftable. (IE: Musket.)

Other things that I think of while adding coding the mod.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Hunter00064 on October 30, 2014, 01:50:03 AM
I would love to help with this but I am not super good at modding :P
Sure. Grab the mod when I release it tonight and add anything you think would work or add something from the list above.
Try to make new .xml files rather than edit the existing ones. That'll make it easier for me to incorporate your code into the mod.
PM any changes/additions you've made to me and I'll incorporate them into the mod for the next release.
Don't worry about making good-looking textures at this stage. Once the mod is more fleshed out and moved to the releases section then we can worry about making everything look pretty. To me, something that works but looks ugly is far more useful than something that looks pretty but doesn't work. :)

ItchyFlea

New build attached.

This one removes the starting weapons (they've been replaced with grass that dies off almost immediately) and also removes the growing zone. You'll have to rely on pre-existing food crops and hunting as a source for food.

I haven't play tested this build, but it should be alright.
I recommend starting a new colony for this build. Existing colonies may not like the changes I had to make to pistols and lee-enfields to remove them from the list of things you start with.

mrofa

Maybe you could add some Bend Pod Metal Pice as a starting weapon.
All i do is clutter all around.

ItchyFlea

Got "buildable" plants without the need of a .DLL.
Well, at the very least my modified potato plant was buildable and worked as if it had been planted in a growing zone.

Next update will be out either later on tonight, or more likely in about 24 hours. The next update will contain, at least, a new tab containing all the plants that you can "build", along with the ability to purchase seeds from passing traders.
This update may also mark the point where this mod gets moved into the Releases section, depending on how it works once the next update is done.

EDIT:
Yep. It'll be done tomorrow sometime.
But before I head to bed, here's a teaser:

Image: Building a raspberry bush...

EDIT2:
Getting closer to a release. About 6 hours from now. Still got a few things to add that I couldn't add right now.

Changes/Additions:

• Metal now has a description that explains why it's useless.
  • Seed Packets for the following plants:
    Potato, Strawberry, Cotton, Devilstrand, Rose, Daylily, Agave, Raspberry, TreeCecropia, TreeOak, TreePoplar.
  • Plant lives have been extended greatly. They are also not destroyed when you harvest food from them. Meaning that once they are planted, you can repeatedly harvest food from them.
  • Growing times increased for food crops. Now takes about 20 in-game days to grow. (Devilstrand was not modified, it's already long enough.)
  • Seed Packets can be purchased from the food trader. Each packet contains enough seeds to plant 10 plants of that specific type. (The price for a packet of seeds is around 100 silver)

ItchyFlea

ItchyFlea

First version for Alpha 8 can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/45qtl36l20ry5hr/Stone_to_Steel_Mod.7z

This is a hugely stripped down version. While a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff is there, the ability to access those things are not.
This version does work, although you probably won't get very far.