A little suggestion for technology system

Started by Machilus, May 29, 2017, 05:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machilus

Hi there.

An idea pumped up suddenly when I was reading the A17 update log. To be more precise, it's the sentence below that spurred my little whim:

"Sun lamps now turn themselves off when plants are resting."

I was excited when I saw the complete-buff modification on sunlamps, for it solved a problem that sunlamps occupy too much electricity even when plants are dormant. However, on second thought, "is there any problem on this modification?", I asked myself.

Of course there isn't, because it's just a simple adjustment and nothing special. Nevertheless, could the little adjustment be more remarkable? Yes, it definitely could. So, here comes my little whim----

What if we can research the same technology to unlock new functions?

For example, in the case of sunlamp technology, I've designed 4 levels for it.

Sunlamp Level 1 - Unlock sunlamp
Sunlamp Level 2 - Reduce the eletricity cost of sunlamps by 10%
Sunlamp Level 3 - Increase the illumination range of sunlamps by 10%
Sunlamp Level 4 - Sunlamps can automaticly turned off when plants are rest.

You can see, on the last level of sunlamp, players can finally unlock the new function which is given directly to us in A17. I think this kind of progressive research mechanic is more more joyful and realistic.

And so do auto-doors.

Auto-door Level 1 - Unlock auto-door
Auto-door Level 2 - Reduce the eletricity cost of auto-doors by 10%
Auto-door Level 3 - Increase the efficiency of auto-door by 20%(just an example)
Auto-door Level 4 - Reduce the material cost by 10%
Auto-door Level 5 - Increase flammability of door by 10%, up to 100%

Still, personally, I think the current technology system is a little bit too simple and lacking bonds to other parts of the game. What players have to do is just to assign their characters onto the researching table and the results are guaranteed. What about, providing blueprints in game and players have to collect the right blueprints to unlock/accelerate the specific technology they want? For that case, we have to trade with the interstellar merchants, go deep into the pirate base or make friends with other factions(blueprints as a gift of high relationship). Sometimes, we can also find a mystery blueprint from assault enemies.

Above all, the core concepts of my suggestion are them:
1. Add-on functions can be unlock by keep researching on the same topic.
2. It could be better if technology system has a stronger connection with other system in the game.

O Negative

+1 from me.

The current research system is bland and unrewarding. There used to be a research that increased the burst shot of auto turrets from 3->4. I loved that research option, and was hoping for more like it in the future. Instead, it was removed :p