[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Concrete has been updated:

- Reinforced concrete has been renamed "steel-reinforced concrete," and plasticrete is now "plasteel-reinforced concrete."

- Steel-reinforced walls now require "Machining" to have been researched. (I realize there's no direct correlation between machining and bunker wall construction, but I didn't want to add a brand-new tech just for this, and machining seems to represent about the right technological competence and conceptual research focus, and it's something that nobody starts the game with.) Plasteel-reinforced walls additionally require "Microelectronics Basics" research.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Flimflamshabam

I don't suppose a Fertile Fields Lite is likely? One with just the fertilizer, and not all the dirt and sand and crushed rocks etc. I've been playing with it but the grind of getting all the soils and fertilizer is just very annoying.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on September 24, 2017, 05:27:42 PMI don't suppose a Fertile Fields Lite is likely? One with just the fertilizer, and not all the dirt and sand and crushed rocks etc. I've been playing with it but the grind of getting all the soils and fertilizer is just very annoying.

If all you want to do is make fertilizer and turn regular soil into rich soil, but leave anything else on the map alone, you're welcome to do so. The more advanced terraforming options aren't mandatory; in fact, if you don't bother to research the mod's techs, most of them won't even be available to you.

I'm afraid I don't see what the point of a "Lite" version of FF would be.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Sylph

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on September 24, 2017, 05:27:42 PM
I don't suppose a Fertile Fields Lite is likely? One with just the fertilizer, and not all the dirt and sand and crushed rocks etc. I've been playing with it but the grind of getting all the soils and fertilizer is just very annoying.

Annoying? I think it's perfectly executed, and incredibly useful. Also considering it might sound overpowered (fertile mountain farms, for instance), it actually in practice ends up feeling very well balanced (though I stay away from deep water creation). Terraforming under a mountain is a very long term goal.

Also... if something is annoying you (getting soils), which is unnecessary to achieving your end goals (something to do with fertiliser?), then just... don't do it. No-one is forcing you to even research terraforming.

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 24, 2017, 03:19:38 PM
Concrete has been updated:

- Reinforced concrete has been renamed "steel-reinforced concrete," and plasticrete is now "plasteel-reinforced concrete."

- Steel-reinforced walls now require "Machining" to have been researched. (I realize there's no direct correlation between machining and bunker wall construction, but I didn't want to add a brand-new tech just for this, and machining seems to represent about the right technological competence and conceptual research focus, and it's something that nobody starts the game with.) Plasteel-reinforced walls additionally require "Microelectronics Basics" research.

My, what perfectly named building materials! ;) Thanks for the update!

Flimflamshabam

I just don't like having to wait for like 3 years or pay ~1000 silver for another caravan to roll around only for them to not have any dirt, or only have like 200 when I need 2000. The cost per tile is small sure but when you're aiming for even minor scale operations in otherwise impossible environments it's a bit too much to deal with, I also dislike the rotted foods stuff I would prefer just to make compost without needing part meat and part vegetable, takes alot of effort to keep meat in stock in rimworld if you aren't cannibaling it up and Hunting always comes with the risk of pissing off an entire herd and without a kill box that's the end of the colony.

I'm not interested in under mountain farming, and if I do I can settle for hydroponics or simple layered soil, but I still want the option to turn at least marsh, sand, and gravel into soil, and vice versa without it being a year long process to just get the materials.

SpaceDorf

How is it you don't have 2000 dirt lying around ?

just reduce every ground you are building on to rocky dirt.

and you can burn corpses to get compost. the one bit where I cheat a little is using Kaptain_Kaverns Campfire can burn Corpses mod which gives me instant access to tons of fertilizer which is always my bottleneck.

Hunt small stuff .. burn it to fertilizer.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

I do agree with @Flimflamshabam on one point though - why does compost need meat? As far as I know it can be made without any meat just as successfully... Early game, when meat is plenty, you usually don't really do much terraforming and late game when its time to change some land - meat is damn scarse, not even enough to have sufficiently provide fine meals for 20 guy colony.

Only bright spot is those nice raider guys, willingly jumping in heaps into crematorium just to give me some rich soil later...

dburgdorf

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on September 25, 2017, 02:16:35 PMI also dislike the rotted foods stuff I would prefer just to make compost without needing part meat and part vegetable....

This, I'm already planning to change. I'm getting really tired of one user after another on the mod's Steam thread posting "the compost recipe doesn't work!" when the problem is nothing more than that they have a stockpile of veggies but no meat. :P

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is, there are other mods available that allow "magical" transformation of one terrain into another. ("Tilled Soil" and "Buildable Terrain" both come immediately to mind, and of course, dev mode is always an option.) The genesis of "Fertile Fields" was in response to those mods. It is my attempt, however imperfect, to introduce terraforming to RimWorld in a "realistic" (using the term, admittedly, a bit loosely) and balanced manner. I really can't see myself creating an "easy mode" version of FF, when such a thing would likely end up being nothing more than a copy of the mods I didn't like, that led me to create FF in the first place. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

So will you be getting rid of rotten meat then? I really hope so. I mean I do like it very much that even rotting meat can actually be used for something, not just dissapears magically. But on the other hand my hauler-dog squad seem to prefer eating it over everything else, as result they part haul, part barf everywhere, turning whole place into one big stinky compost bin... If not get rid of it, at least modify it, so no animal is stupid enough to give itself food posioning over and over again on it :))

Flimflamshabam

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 25, 2017, 02:30:40 PM
How is it you don't have 2000 dirt lying around ?
well I was doing a sheet ice run. But even on a normal map there's always mud, or marsh, or sand that I need turned to usable soil and it's somewhat and without trashing terrain elsewhere which still doesn't give me all the soil I need it takes forever to get done, inbetween the already micromanagy regular gameplay. Its amazing how even with like 10 pawns with no disabled work shit still manages to not get done.

It would be nice to at least be able to revert fertile soil to regular soil for I guess a chance for some fertilizer, also maybe remove deteriorating without a roof for, well everything, aside from soil blowing away in the wind it just doesn't make much sense and makes me force my pawns to haul dirt over cooking or building to keep the dirt from being lost.

sirgzu

is it safe to add this mod half way through a game?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: sirgzu on September 25, 2017, 06:33:19 PM
is it safe to add this mod half way through a game?

Absolutely.
But like all mods that add stuff, removal might be impossible.

Sylph

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on September 25, 2017, 02:16:35 PM
I just don't like having to wait for like 3 years or pay ~1000 silver for another caravan to roll around only for them to not have any dirt, or only have like 200 when I need 2000. The cost per tile is small sure but when you're aiming for even minor scale operations in otherwise impossible environments it's a bit too much to deal with, I also dislike the rotted foods stuff I would prefer just to make compost without needing part meat and part vegetable, takes alot of effort to keep meat in stock in rimworld if you aren't cannibaling it up and Hunting always comes with the risk of pissing off an entire herd and without a kill box that's the end of the colony.

I'm not interested in under mountain farming, and if I do I can settle for hydroponics or simple layered soil, but I still want the option to turn at least marsh, sand, and gravel into soil, and vice versa without it being a year long process to just get the materials.

I play exclusively on ice sheets (the coldest mountainous tile on any world, thank you to Prepare Carefully's search function!) so I appreciate where you are coming from, but I enjoy the extra difficulty in finding resources (be it those as simple as dirt) there... it's why I play there. I take for granted the fact I'll need to research cremation and turn dead raiders into compost to get a supply of fertiliser, just as I take for granted there will be no trees, etc. You can also make your own dirt, after researching terraforming and building a rock mill to make it practicable. Also you can travel off the ice sheet and dig up dirt elsewhere (A17 is awesome!), and send it back. Same way I get limestone for concrete if I'm unlucky enough that the coldest mountain tile on a map doesn't have native limestone. (My current colony has slate and marble... yay...)

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 25, 2017, 03:01:18 PM
Quote from: Flimflamshabam on September 25, 2017, 02:16:35 PMI also dislike the rotted foods stuff I would prefer just to make compost without needing part meat and part vegetable....

This, I'm already planning to change. I'm getting really tired of one user after another on the mod's Steam thread posting "the compost recipe doesn't work!" when the problem is nothing more than that they have a stockpile of veggies but no meat. :P

Might I suggest that you retain rotten meat/meat as an ingredient in compost, in a recipe that combines plant and animal matter, and offers a higher yield of compost per unit of nutrients and work than the purely-plant matter compost you'll add? This would be in keeping with the vanilla gameplay rewarding players who can source both plant and animal matter (fine, lavish meals requiring both, offering bigger mood bonuses).

Also I don't anyone should feel obligated to design anything for the few dimwits who cannot read instructions (or in this case, the required resources for a recipe in Rimworld, given quite plainly on the interface for selecting products).

SpaceDorf

Rainbeau,

I just have to say Fertile Fields is one awesome tool to God-Mode terraform testing grounds for Mods

greetings,
SpaceDorf.

sirgzu

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 28, 2017, 04:19:19 PMI just have to say Fertile Fields is one awesome tool to God-Mode terraform testing grounds for Mods
Lol I agree, that's why I started using this mod in the first place.. then i realise there actually is a dev mode menu to edit terrain