[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faltonico

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 19, 2017, 11:58:14 PM
Quote from: faltonico on June 19, 2017, 11:32:47 PM
I liked the idea of the floors and the integration with your other mods, but after a little bit of playtest i think i better stick with the mods i have been using.

Feedback on balance and other issues is always welcome, so if you have specific suggestions or observations -- whether you plan to use the mod going forward or not -- please let me know! ;)
I would end up asking you to make copies of the other mods i'm using so i thought it wouldn't be fair for you =s

Edit: You can make the smelter make the product faster compared to the fueled smithy... That would make a lot of sense.
Edit 2: i couldn't help to keep discussing that xD

wwWraith

I'll probably double the number of bricks you get when you fire clay, and as noted above, the beauty of brick walls and floors will probably be increased. That should help to make brick more worthwhile as an alternative to stone.
Look at some brick wall irl - is it particularly beautiful? I think it would not be logical to add them more beauty ingame, it is ok comparable to stone blocks. The main benefits of using bricks irl are that they are easier to get and to use (and temperature/sound isolation properties that have no matter ingame atm), so increasing their output numbers looks like a good idea. And may be you should also consider to decreasing WorkToBuild for them.

Allowing a "passive" method of making bricks by allowing them just to dry over time in the open isn't something I'd considered, but is certainly reasonable (and realistic).
It's a good way to low-tech colonies, but for more industrious ones may be more appropriate yet to add some sort of oven that should be loaded with bigger quantities of clay and left to dry it automatically while pawns do their other deeds?

I don't plan to add any sort of "digging spot," though. I've tried very hard to maintain a "zero sum game" approach to dirt and related resources in "Fertile Fields."
Yeah, this "zero sum" is the thing that makes me feel somehow uncomfortable ;D I just used to rely mostly on renewable resources. But I completely understand and respect your approach, I can fight my greediness :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

hoaxdream

when i enable this mod together with vegetable garden, the digging spot in vegetable garden wont show up in the game, bug?

Antaios

Quote from: hoaxdream on June 24, 2017, 05:01:43 AM
when i enable this mod together with vegetable garden, the digging spot in vegetable garden wont show up in the game, bug?

It's part of the Fertile Fields vegetable garden compatibility stuff, which replaces digging in one spot for dirt with actually digging up dirt across the map.

Speaking of the Vegetable garden compatibility stuff, Dburgdorf, I think you missed some of the fertilizer recipes, specifically:
Butcher table: Make compost starter, Make fertilizer
Crematorium: Cermate into fertilizer
Campfire: Cremate into fertilizer

hoaxdream

Canute

Quote from: Antaios on June 24, 2017, 06:08:40 AM
Speaking of the Vegetable garden compatibility stuff, Dburgdorf, I think you missed some of the fertilizer recipes, specifically:
Don't forget Fertile Fields goes and different way to made his own Fertilizer.
Butcher: you can made raw compost -> Fertilizer at the bin or barrel.
Campfire/Crema: same

dburgdorf

If you're loading VG before FF, then none of those recipes should still be showing up in the game. And if you're loading VG *after* FF, well, those recipes aren't the only aspects of the mods' overlap that aren't being handled correctly.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

Hello dburgdorf,
First I love the mod and how you have implemented features.

Then I would like to ask your permission for using your mod as a dependency for another mod I'm making. It will overhaul a lot of the crafting aspect of the game and for some key features I intend to use some already existing mods like yours or powerless by Cupropanda instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Link to the project : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27252.0

dburgdorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on June 26, 2017, 08:20:31 PM
I would like to ask your permission for using your mod as a dependency for another mod I'm making.

Absolutely! I'll be very interested in seeing what you come up with. I've always been a sucker for good crafting systems. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

Thank you  ;D

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 26, 2017, 08:48:41 PM
I'll be very interested in seeing what you come up with. I've always been a sucker for good crafting systems. :)
Oh, it will mostly be like the old "Superior Crafting" mod that was all the rage a couple of alphas back. The mod was at the core of EVERY mod packs I've seen. So I'm thinking the whole "modding scene" will benefit from it being updated/adapted.

Antaios

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 26, 2017, 07:22:13 PM
Speaking of the Vegetable garden compatibility stuff, Dburgdorf, I think you missed some of the fertilizer recipes
If you're loading VG before FF, then none of those recipes should still be showing up in the game. And if you're loading VG *after* FF, well, those recipes aren't the only aspects of the mods' overlap that aren't being handled correctly.

After spending quite a while enabling and disabling random mods, I finally figured this out.
HelpTab is re-adding the recipes, I'm not exactly sure why yet, but it seems to do it by accident when it builds it's help database.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Antaios on June 26, 2017, 10:47:45 PMHelpTab is re-adding the recipes, I'm not exactly sure why yet, but it seems to do it by accident when it builds it's help database.

OK. Well, thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

leeadriancatfox

VG's fertilizers, compost, soil, etc. shares the same name file with your mod- the only solution that i can think of is renaming some of your ingredients, just to coexist with it. Your Fertilizers and VG's Fertilizers are two different items yet shared the same name. So every time I attempt to create your fertilizers or dig up some soil i end up making the VG's version product.

dburgdorf

Quote from: leeadriancatfox on June 27, 2017, 01:52:31 AM
VG's fertilizers, compost, soil, etc. shares the same name file with your mod- the only solution that i can think of is renaming some of your ingredients, just to coexist with it. Your Fertilizers and VG's Fertilizers are two different items yet shared the same name. So every time I attempt to create your fertilizers or dig up some soil i end up making the VG's version product.

As I note in the "Compatibility" section of this mod's description, if you're using "Fertile Fields" and "Vegetable Garden" together, you need to make sure that "Vegetable Garden" loads first. That will allow "Fertile Fields" to overwrite the terraforming options in "Vegetable Garden," cleaning up the area where the two mods overlap.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

jackarbiter

Unless you've fixed this recently, I think the removing sand near shallow water is not properly giving piles of sand.

Great job otherwise, love the mod.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles