[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkedone02

So comparing this with tilled soil mod, does this mod give off a higher fertile soil then tilled soil mod or is this a bit weaker/balanced?

Canute

The best soil give 180% fert., compare it self.

dburgdorf

Quote from: darkedone02 on July 01, 2017, 05:00:10 AMSo comparing this with tilled soil mod, does this mod give off a higher fertile soil then tilled soil mod or is this a bit weaker/balanced?

I'd certainly like to think that "Fertile Fields" is more balanced, as that was my original purpose in creating it and remains one of my driving motivations in developing it.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but as I recall, with "Tilled Soil," you can upgrade almost any terrain tile to 200% fertility with very little effort and with no expenditure of resources. With "Fertile Fields," on the other hand, the best you can do without hydroponics is 180%, but that requires research, some effort on the part of your pawns, and the usage of resources (at the very least, fertilizer, which has to be purchased or created).
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Eluxor

Hey Dburgdorf I really love all your mods, they are a must for me now. I just wanted to ask you something, as you already added the 'remove packed dirt to create soil' can you make packed dirt buildeable? Like for making paths. I saw that the rainforest mod has it, but it has conflicts with some of my mods. I think that it will be a fine addition to yours.

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Eluxor on July 01, 2017, 11:01:57 AM
Hey Dburgdorf I really love all your mods, they are a must for me now. I just wanted to ask you something, as you already added the 'remove packed dirt to create soil' can you make packed dirt buildeable? Like for making paths. I saw that the rainforest mod has it, but it has conflicts with some of my mods. I think that it will be a fine addition to yours.

Dirt path for my tribal colony! ;D ;D ;D
Bleeeee. . . . .

Canute

Nameing bug:
You got 2 "Deep water" terraforms, but the 1. should be named as "Shallow water" because the result is shallow water.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Eluxor on July 01, 2017, 11:01:57 AMI just wanted to ask you something, as you already added the 'remove packed dirt to create soil' can you make packed dirt buildeable?

Already done. You can create packed dirt from soil, just as you can create soil from packed dirt.

Quote from: Canute on July 01, 2017, 12:06:49 PMYou got 2 "Deep water" terraforms, but the 1. should be named as "Shallow water" because the result is shallow water.

Yeah, I'd already spotted that one. It'll be corrected in the next update. Thanks, though. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Eluxor

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 01, 2017, 12:42:26 PM
Quote from: Eluxor on July 01, 2017, 11:01:57 AMI just wanted to ask you something, as you already added the 'remove packed dirt to create soil' can you make packed dirt buildeable?

Already done. You can create packed dirt from soil, just as you can create soil from packed dirt.

Uh... I dont see it, in what option it is? Because I dont really see it.

Canute

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 01, 2017, 12:42:26 PM

I think that is not was Eluxor wanted.
Like i reported early, Packed dirt from the other mod is a Floor, while your packed dirt is a terrain.
Eluxor, just wanted a Packed dirt floor, that is build like smooth floor to prevent flora regrowth on that spot.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Eluxor on July 01, 2017, 03:09:35 PMUh... I dont see it, in what option it is? Because I dont really see it.

It's right on the "Terraform" menu, in between the options to create gravel and the options to create soil. Doesn't even require any research to unlock it. Been there since the last update.

Have you perhaps not updated since the latest version came out on the 18th?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on June 30, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
If I rename my modded floor to be called exactly like yours and mention to load your mod last; there is a way for me to make something like you did for yours and VG, in terms of integration?

I just responded on your mod's thread, but I'll respond here, too.

First, don't bother changing your floor's defName; doing so would risk breaking saves for anyone who's already got it on a map. ;)

Second, I can very easily handle the compatibility from my end, anyway. The next version of "Fertile Fields" will make sure that any attempt to turn packed dirt to soil will work on either type of packed dirt (either the vanilla road surface or your custom floor), and will also patch your packed dirt so it can't be directly constructed, so that packed dirt floors/paths/whatever will have to be constructed via my mod's terraform soil to packed dirt option.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

dburgdorf,
just a question. I though you and dismar worked together so fertile fields overwrite/inject the stuff from VG.
Shouldn't then serveral item from VG disapear ?
Pile of dirt/Pile of Dirt
Fertilizer/Fertilizer
I don't think compost starter could be removed since it isn't needed.

FF is loaded after VG like you suggest.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on July 02, 2017, 04:42:42 AMjust a question. I though you and dismar worked together so fertile fields overwrite/inject the stuff from VG.

Dismar and I haven't "worked together" on it; honestly, I'm not sure he's more than passingly aware that my mod even exists. ;) But otherwise, your statement is correct. If "Vegetable Garden" is loaded before "Fertile Fields," then duplicate items and functionality will be removed so that only the "Fertile Fields" versions remain.  There will be only one version of "Pile of dirt" and one version of "Fertilizer," for example, and you'll only be able to obtain/create them in the ways defined by "Fertile Fields."

And I just confirmed again, with the newest version of "Vegetable Garden," that all of that is working exactly as it's supposed to.

That said, though....

I haven't had a chance to look into it, but I've been told that the "Help Tab" mod re-adds some of the recipes from "Vegetable Garden" that should be deleted. It's possible that other mods interfere with my attempt to clean up the overlap, as well. So if you're seeing things from "Vegetable Garden" in your game that shouldn't still be there (recipes, items, or whatever), letting me know what they are and what other mods you're using that might be impacting things, could be helpful.

Thanks!

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wwWraith

A sudden thought just came to my mind: why the dirt, sand and clay are deterioratable? :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

dburgdorf

Quote from: wwWraith on July 02, 2017, 09:44:43 AMA sudden thought just came to my mind: why the dirt, sand and clay are deterioratable? :)

They originally weren't, but someone pointed out that they ought to be, and I agreed.  Think about it....

If you leave a pile of sand outside untended, and come back a week later....

Are you likely to still have a pile of sand?  :)

Rain and wind.  :D

(Granted, really large piles are more durable, but even so, they can suffer attrition over time. And clay's probably less likely to be affected by the elements than dirt, and dirt less so than sand, but I do have to make *some* effort to keep things simple.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?