[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notfood

Load Help Tab last so it gets a chance to calculate the recipe changes after LongEventHandler.

wwWraith

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 02, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
If you leave a pile of sand outside untended, and come back a week later....

Hmm, my experience says that I'll definitely find it as I left it. Maybe after a year... And with this point pretty much everything should be made deteriorating: steel, stones, buildings... So probably it's the matter of the speed of these processes irl, and 5/5/1 rates for sand/dirt/clay seem a way too fast. Maybe 2/1/1... Anyway, you are the boss, I wrote it just to be sure that it wasn't accidental :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Antaios

Quote from: notfood on July 02, 2017, 10:30:04 AM
Load Help Tab last so it gets a chance to calculate the recipe changes after LongEventHandler.

If this is with regards to the VG fertiliser recipes, the load order didn't matter, just tested with helptab last aswell...

Canute

Aye, just put it at the last spot too, nothing change.
The recipes are all ok, no VG active, but 3 resource items.
Pile of dirt/Pile of Dirt     
Fertilizer/Fertilizer       
compost starter

At the first one i think its a matter of capital letter. I think something similar for Fertilizer maybe.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on July 02, 2017, 12:06:14 PM3 resource items.

I'm going to assume that you're using the most recent versions of both "Fertile Fields" and "Vegetable Garden." If not, well, you need to update your mods. ;)

If you load the game with just "Fertile Fields" and "Vegetable Garden" installed (with FF loading after VG), you will find that you have only one item called "pile of dirt" (regardless of capitalization), only one item called "fertilizer," and no item called "compost starter." So as I said earlier, presumably, something else in your mod list is somehow adding back VG's items. As a shot in the dark, I'd assume it's because that other mod is patching those items for some reason.

If you can narrow down which mod seems to be responsible, I can take a look and see about dealing with it. ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 02, 2017, 12:57:58 PM
If you can narrow down which mod seems to be responsible, I can take a look and see about dealing with it. ;)
Since this is no real worse thing, i am to lazy to play around with the modlist. I just tried at last to move FF and VG at the end of the modlist, but that didn't change any. Maybe i find it on accident. :-)

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on July 02, 2017, 05:28:27 PMSince this is no real worse thing, i am to lazy to play around with the modlist. I just tried at last to move FF and VG at the end of the modlist, but that didn't change any. Maybe i find it on accident. :-)

Fair enough. If you (or someone else) happens to figure out which mod seems to be involved, I'll certainly look into it, but in the meantime, as you said, it's not really a big deal, anyway.  :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

notfood

dburgdorf, is the source folder offered in the workshop/dropbox updated? Seems to be for A16.

dburgdorf

Quote from: notfood on July 02, 2017, 06:50:32 PM
dburgdorf, is the source folder offered in the workshop/dropbox updated? Seems to be for A16.

Yes, the source folder matches the release. I couldn't release an old version of the source even if I wanted to, as I don't *have* old source. I only have a single version of each of my mods on my computer. (Yeah, I know, it's a bad habit to live so dangerously.) What makes you think it's for a16?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

notfood

Oh... the ThingCategoryDef.AnimalProductRaw confused me since it wasn't available for A17. You overwrote the whole ThingCategoryDef, I didn't notice.

notfood

By the way, I made this.

https://gist.github.com/notfood/2192e87c4a10c467887e734eff055149

Your detour method was too invasive. I used harmony to make a friendlier patch.

dburgdorf

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

notfood

dburgdorf, I made more things...

Hm. It's a lot to share so I'll post the mod.

Download

I'm basically adapting the mod to HardcoreSK pack since we like your mod so much. I'm mixing FertileFields, Basic Bridges, SAL automation and Universal Fermenter.

When I was trying to adapt Fertile Fields I found that way too many things are hardcoded or searching for substrings, which made it impossible to add cleanly. So I decided to rewrite a portion of the mod... which required me to rewrite more and more. In the end I rewrote a lot, from the PatchOperations to the core ThingClasses you use, including the Defs.

You should really take a look at FertileFields.PlaceWorker_Dynamic and FertileFields.Building_Terraform at least.

Here is an example of the syntax they use:
<ThingDef ParentName="RFF_TerraformBasicBase">
  <defName>SoilF-Sand</defName>
  <label>sand</label>
  <description>PLACE ON: Fertile Soil.\nRESULT: Sand.\nGAIN: Two Piles of Dirt.</description>
  <uiIconPath>Icons/SoilF-Sand</uiIconPath>
  <modExtensions>
    <li Class="FertileFields.Terrain">
      <above>
        <li>Soil</li>
        <li>SoilRich</li>
        <li>MossyTerrain</li>
      </above>
      <result>Sand</result>
      <products>
        <Dirt>2</Dirt>
      </products>
    </li>
  </modExtensions>
  <statBases>
    <WorkToBuild>1250</WorkToBuild>
  </statBases>
</ThingDef>

Here is another example:

<ThingDef ParentName="RFF_TerraformAdvancedBase">
  <defName>Sand-WaterShallow</defName>
  <label>shallow water</label>
  <description>PLACE ON: Sand (near water).\nRESULT: Shallow Water.\nGAIN: Five Piles of Sand.</description>
  <uiIconPath>Icons/Sand-WaterShallow</uiIconPath>
  <modExtensions>
    <li Class="FertileFields.Terrain">
      <above>
        <li>Sand</li>
      </above>
      <near>
        <li>WaterShallow</li>
        <li>WaterMovingShallow</li>
        <li>WaterOceanShallow</li>
      </near>
      <result>WaterShallow</result>
      <products>
        <Sand>5</Sand>
      </products>
    </li>
  </modExtensions>
  <statBases>
    <WorkToBuild>1500</WorkToBuild>
  </statBases>
</ThingDef>

It's very flexible and it'd benefit you a lot. If I can convince you to use these methods I'll be happy. I personally like your mod a lot and I'd like to see it improve.

kaptain_kavern

Entirely xml configurable? It's beautiful ! ^^

dburgdorf

Quote from: notfood on July 04, 2017, 07:53:01 PMdburgdorf, I made more things...

My wife and I have been out pretty much all day with friends, I just got home, it's late, and I'm tired, so I haven't had a chance to look at what you've done except very quickly just now, and I'm more interested at the moment in going to bed than in thinking. :D

I'm certainly willing to (and fully intend to) look it over more carefully, and assume I'll be able to make more sense of it when I take the time to do so, but any additional info you could provide about exactly what you've done would probably be helpful in getting me oriented, so to speak.  A private message would be fine.  ;)

The one thing I did notice is that it looks like some of your changes introduce mandatory dependencies. If that's the case, I'll be honest, it's going to be a hard sell. I understand that it's not really a big deal, but even so, the idea of requiring that a player install some other mod before they're able to use mine just doesn't sit well. I prefer that my mods remain independent of anything beyond the base game.

(OK, yeah, I utilize Harmony, but that's different, since it's directly included with the mods.)

Please understand, though, that these comments are the ramblings of a tired brain that hasn't even really looked at what you've offered yet. Everything may change tomorrow. :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?