[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Why does a pile of dirt deteriorate ? :-) Once you have a pile, then some wind blow and you have a smaller pile. Some visitor walks over it, the pile geting even smaler because their feets carry the dirt into your rooms. Some animal need some dirt for their nest/hive place and puff the pile is gone.

What is your modload order, is VG before or after Fertile fields ?

Vlad0mi3r

Love the Mod it is now part of my standard play setup.

My only suggestion would be to make it so that you needed to re-plough a tile after harvesting a crop from it. More labour intensive but the reward is certainly there. Maybe a plough earth button similar to the forbid sowing button.

Anyway just a thought. 
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

dburgdorf

OK, finally, after far too long, Fertile Fields has been updated again:

- Sandbags are now made from sand and cloth instead of from steel.

- It is now possible to convert ice to shallow water.

- Brick walls and floors now have unique textures with white mortar, so they actually look more like real brick walls. The color has also been "toned down" a bit. (Note that brick walls constructed prior to this upgrade will retain the old, standard block wall texture.)

- Brick walls and floors now cost slightly less to build than their stone block counterparts, both in terms of resources and in terms of effort.

- The recipe to cremate a corpse for compost now actually defaults to allow humanlike (and only humanlike) corpses to be used, as it should have all along.

- The compost yield from cremating corpses has been cut about in half.

- The mod's custom soil and rich soil textures are now less overpoweringly reddish in color.

- Dirt, fertilizer, compost and sand piles now deteriorate more slowly.

- If Fluffy's "ArchitectSense" mod is installed, the Terraform menu will be more compact and easier to navigate, utilizing submenus. Otherwise, the Terraform menu will be unchanged from the previous version.

- The mod now treats the packed dirt terrain added by "TropiCKAPP" (a rainforest mod) exactly the same as it treats vanilla packed dirt.

- If Dub's "Hygiene" mod is in use, "night soil" can be terraformed with the same options that can terraform marshy soil.

- The code related to terraforming has been streamlined, as per suggestions made by Notfood. As a side effect, terraforming functions are now fully configurable from within the XML defs of the relevant "buildings."

- Finally replaced the detour of the CompRottable method with a Harmony patch. Thanks again to Notfood for showing me how!

- Added German language translation files provided by Ryder32x.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

notfood

Nice.

<ThingDef ParentName="RFF_TerraformBase">
<defName>RockyDirt-Stone</defName>
<label>rough stone from rocky dirt</label>
<Description>PLACE ON: Rocky Dirt.\nRESULT: Rough Stone.</Description>
<modExtensions>
<li Class="RFF_Code.Terrain">
<above>
<li>RockySoil</li>
</above>
<result>Granite_Rough</result> <!-- map-appropriate rough stone type -->
</li>
</modExtensions>
<statBases>
<WorkToBuild>5000</WorkToBuild>
</statBases>
<researchPrerequisites><li>RFF_Terraforming</li></researchPrerequisites>
<CostList>
<CrushedRocks>1</CrushedRocks>
</CostList>
<uiIconPath>Icons/RockyDirt-Stone</uiIconPath>
</ThingDef>

Any reason you didn't like the use of <resultSpecial>Natural</resultSpecial> ?
The method I used checked for the perlin noise of the map to get the natural stone at the location instead of getting a random one.

Canute

Quote- The compost yield from cremating corpses has been cut about in half.
I don't think you can made this dynamic, based on the bodysize/mass ?

dburgdorf

Quote from: notfood on July 22, 2017, 12:53:15 AMThe method I used checked for the perlin noise of the map to get the natural stone at the location instead of getting a random one.

I played with your method a bit, but didn't really like it. The problem is, there's no "set" grid of natural stone underlying a map. Each time your routine was called, it seemed to generate a new random map of natural stone types. So the end result of converting a large area to stone was an erratic patchwork of stone types, rather than large areas of consistent stone. And worse, if that stone was covered with soil and then converted back, it would produce a *different* patchwork pattern.

My random system actually produces more consistent and less patchy results.  :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on July 22, 2017, 12:55:46 AMI don't think you can made this dynamic, based on the bodysize/mass ?

So far as I'm aware, there's no way to set a recipe to have variable output depending upon the ingredients used.

(That said, I'd love to be proven wrong, as it would be great if compost from cremation could be based on body mass.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on July 22, 2017, 12:55:46 AM
Quote- The compost yield from cremating corpses has been cut about in half.
I don't think you can made this dynamic, based on the bodysize/mass ?

Aaaaawww .. no more rat-farming for compost :)
But wait .. halved means it is still effective .. especially early on with KaptainKaverns Campfire Cremation.

Based on 15 rotten mush get me one compost .. so everything below 75 meat got me more compost than the lengthy process.

Halved means, 37, which are still most of the tiny critters :) yai .. with the added bonus that no leather is created ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 22, 2017, 02:28:03 AM
Halved means, 37, which are still most of the tiny critters :) yai .. with the added bonus that no leather is created ..

You apparently missed the other cremation-related update note:

"- The recipe to cremate a corpse for compost now actually defaults to allow humanlike (and only humanlike) corpses to be used."

I realize now that the wording is a bit misleading. It's not just that the recipe defaults this way; it's that the recipe only ever works this way. There's no more animal cremation for compost, specifically to stop cremation of tiny critters for huge gain. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

SpaceDorf, i think you will agree with me that we roast dburgdorf over some campfire until he find a way to cremate animal for raw compost by bodysize ! :-))

dburgdorf

Hmm. Well, I don't fancy being roasted, so let me see what I can do. I've got an idea that might work. I just have a new (somewhat silly) mod to finish up and release first. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

=== EDIT ===

the dorf got ninjad by not A dorf  ..

but if you are not a dorf, has the dorf been ninjad then ?

=====

I hope you have VG installed .. we will need apples for this.

But I read "defaults to " as humans are now activated fromt he start instead of the only option, and I was so busy turning rotten mush into chemfuel that I did not notice ...

and I wanted to complain about suggest something completely different.

I took Fertile Field to the Jungel for the first time.
Green Hell .. Pah, try growing on rocky dirt.
What I noticed though, was that there is a bottleneck between marsh and marshy soil.
Coming from the water side of things, marshy soil is the first to support buildings and a huge step up in fertility.
Which is nice, if I wanted to farm there, create soil and shit, but if I want to build I have to pave the shit over or turn
it into rocky dirt which even gives me two dirt instead of one dirt and one compost ..

So I was thinking there should be an industrial solution to marshes, instead of putting soil and fertilizer in the ground to make it more fertile but even more swampy .. lets put sand and gravel on top of it and make it less fertile but more stable.

In comparison from marsh to rocky dirt via marshy soil costs me one fertilizer and gains me one dirt.
from marshy soil to soil would cost me only another fertilizer and 2 dirt.
while the cost from rocky dirt to soil is : 3 dirt, 1 fertilizer and 1 gravel  given that fertilizer is the only thing I can create from "nothing " and the backward gain from soil to dirt is again only 3 dirt and no gravel ..
And I totally lost myself there, because this has nothing more to do with what I actually wanted which is simple :

marsh + 2 gravel,  1 sand/dirt = rocky dirt  ... with the new gui there is room for more recipes   ;D
which is awesome because it leads back to the beginning .. I don't have to burn critters for ungodly amounts of compost or sell my colonists on that appeasing the great earth mother bullshit.  ( btw. the best fertilizer comes from fresh cthulhu meat )

==== 2nd Edit ====

just add a recipe to the concrete add-on .. one bag of concrete for marshy soil, two bags of concrete for marsh and three bags for shallow water ... after that 7 cloth for green carpet  ;D ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 22, 2017, 09:59:52 AM
Hmm. Well, I don't fancy being roasted, so let me see what I can do. I've got an idea that might work. I just have a new (somewhat silly) mod to finish up and release first. ;)

Thats all  i wanted to read, but in case i will grow some apples ! :-)

Mufflamingo

How about you just make different recipes for cremation.

Cremate small creatures.
Cremate medium sized cretures.
Cremate large creatures.
Cremate huge creatures.
Cremate humans.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Canute

And for any mod that add new animals a comp. patch ?
I think there should be a better solution.

When i point at mending mod.
You got a recycle appearal feauture too. The tailor reduce the the durability of the appearal and geting for each step some resources until it is gone.
Maybe something similar for corpses, the worker reduce the mass or nutri of the corpse and gain raw fertizizer.