[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 24, 2017, 09:57:30 AM
Something to mitigate: Having sandbag been able to be made from any fabrics (leather anybody?) not just cloth. For it to be accessible a bit earlier.

Folks could still use chunks in the meantime (for cover, not clothing :p )

PS: I've just made a mini mod for making sandbag movable  ;D   IMHO it is something you should add to yours for mitigate the heavier cost than in vanilla, maybe (it's just a matter of adding a MinifiedDef tag)

Leatherbags ! YES !! ..
Make them movable is a great Idea.
Then I was thinking, why not make Sandbags a construcion resource like bricks .. and deconstruct sandbags without loss ..
then it hit me :
the perfect simulation of a sandbag would be to make it a kind of chunk.
repairing a bag of sand is unrealistic.
but if you produce them and then haul them to a designated stockpile, like chunks, it becomes like real sandbags.
Large, unwieldy bags of sand, that are cheap, still can be moved easiely but need a lot of space at the same time.

The difference between clothing production and bag construction is that clothing production produces more waste, because
forms are cut out of square sheets. While bags are square sheets sewn together.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Schwartz

Canute: Unless Rainbeau's embrasures work very differently than ED's embrasures, they don't fill the same role as sandbags at all. Sandbags are waist-high cover that can be climbed over. Embrasures are walls that let projectiles pass through.

I think 1 sand is fine as it is. You need 1 unit of terrain for most terraforming jobs, too.

dburgdorf

Canute: Don't forget that you can obtain sand without too much difficulty on most maps even if you don't have deserts or beaches, just by "separating" dirt into sand and clay. No rock mill or stonecutting table needed.

SpaceDorf: I don't plan to completely revise how sandbags work, however much sense it actually makes for sandbags to be movable. But I will be lowering the cloth cost and allowing leather to be used as an alternative.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 24, 2017, 03:02:57 PM
SpaceDorf: I don't plan to completely revise how sandbags work, however much sense it actually makes for sandbags to be movable. But I will be lowering the cloth cost and allowing leather to be used as an alternative.

No worries I got carried away again .. but you have to admit the idea is sound.
Now go and work on dynamic traits  ;D

moonra

I can't make brick statues anymore, is that intended?

dburgdorf

Quote from: moonra on July 24, 2017, 08:00:38 PMI can't make brick statues anymore, is that intended?

Well, it wasn't *specifically* intended, since it had never occurred to me that anyone would make statues out of bricks, anyway. ;)

But, yeah, in order to give brick walls a unique appearance, I had to make bricks a different type of "stuff" than stone blocks.

But that new type of stuff could certainly be added to the definitions of other items that can be made from stone blocks, so they can again be made from bricks, as well.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

moonra

It made for some pretty interesting sculptures with that blood red color.

Also, I've been getting this every once in a while on the debug log:

Tried to place thing RottedMush877563 in a null map.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.GenPlace:TryPlaceThing(Thing, IntVec3, Map, ThingPlaceMode, Thing&, Action`2)
Verse.GenPlace:TryPlaceThing(Thing, IntVec3, Map, ThingPlaceMode, Action`2)
RFF_Code.CompRottable_CompTickRare:Postfix(CompRottable, State&)
RimWorld.CompRottable:CompTickRare_Patch2(Object)
Verse.ThingWithComps:TickRare()
Verse.ThingOwner:ThingOwnerTickRare(Boolean)
Verse.Pawn_InventoryTracker:InventoryTrackerTickRare()
Verse.Pawn:TickRare()
Verse.Pawn:Tick()
RimWorld.Planet.WorldPawns:WorldPawnsTick()
RimWorld.Planet.World:WorldTick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

dburgdorf

Fertile Fields has suffered another update. Sorry, SpaceDorf. :D

- Sandbags now require less cloth (10 instead of 50), and can be constructed with leather if cloth's not available.

- Sandbags can now be minified and moved. Which makes sense, since sandbags are by definition not "permanent" fixtures.

- Most non-wall items that can be built from stone blocks can now again be built from bricks, as well.

(The errors Moonra reported should also be gone again.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

moonra

Many thanks for the always speedy updates!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 25, 2017, 12:01:18 AM
Fertile Fields has suffered another update. Sorry, SpaceDorf. :D

I have to sleep sometimes .. but thank you :)

Mitsael

Thanks for this mod, it is very nice to see the concrete floor with real concrete .. Although I think that you abuse the hit points of the walls, only the commands of the mod "Glitter Tech" are a challenge for them

SpaceDorf

Someone who feels they are overpowered could ask for a ressource change ...

like the normal concrete walls are steel enforced ( which normal german concrete walls are in general .. )
and the second tier is plasteel enforced ..

dburgdorf

Quote from: Mitsael on July 25, 2017, 02:27:29 PMAlthough I think that you abuse the hit points of the walls, only the commands of the mod "Glitter Tech" are a challenge for them

Originally, the reinforced concrete walls were not nearly so tough, but I immediately had to deal with people complaining that they were "too weak" to serve as bunker walls, and pointing to other mods that add concrete and allow construction of much stronger walls. So I upped the walls' strength to put them more on a par with the walls from those other mods.

I suppose I could make the walls' strength configurable....

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

Might be better for your own sanity ;)

dburgdorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 25, 2017, 04:00:42 PMMight be better for your own sanity ;)

What is this "sanity" you speak of? :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?