[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headshotkill

There should be a system where ground fertility lowers the more you use it for agriculture, forcing you to periodically compost it, like once a year or something.

Schwartz

That would require a crazy amount of fertilizer (it's also the most difficult to get component of the whole process). I think what would be fair is if harvesting off tilled soil turned it back into rich soil, requiring it to be tilled again for the next batch. But unless that happened automatically it would be a pain to manage.

Hydromancerx

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 16, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
Quote from: Hydromancerx on August 16, 2017, 02:36:49 AMIs there a low tech way to get clay and/or sand without having to use the Rock Mill?

You can split dirt into sand and clay at a crafting station, as Canute mentioned. No fertilizer is required. Fertilizer is only required if you're combining sand and clay to create dirt.

(And thank you, Canute, for pointing out that blatant violation of my "zero sum game" principle. Not sure how I missed that. It'll definitely be fixed in the next release.)

Ok and how do you get dirt?

dburgdorf

- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Hydromancerx

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 16, 2017, 01:33:05 PM
Quote from: Hydromancerx on August 16, 2017, 12:45:30 PMOk and how do you get dirt?

... By digging it up.

I should have been more specific. How do i get "Pile of Dirt"? In the past there use to be a "Digging Spot" but I cannot find it anymore. In the Vegetable Garden thread they said it should be under the "Garden Tools " tab but I have no such tab. The only tabs related to all this are; Farming and 2 Terraform tabs. One of the Terrafrom tabs is for the Fishing Mod while the other I think is for this mod. While the Farming tab I guess is for Vegetable Garden. Inside them are ...

Farming
Planter Box, Modular Planter Box, Modular Flower Area, Flower Area 2x2, Topsoil, Fertilized Topsoil, Rich Soil, Plowed Soil, Compost Bin

Terraform
Fish Feeding Box, Foundation Base, Platform, Dig up Water, Shallow Water, Deep Water, Marsh

Terraform
Stone, Rocky Dirt, Sand, Gravel, Packed Dirt, Soil, Mud, Marshy Soil, Marsh, Shallow Water, Deep Water

So yeah how do you "dig it up?"

kaptain_kavern

When you use the terraform tools on natural terrains it gives you differents output.

Example: turning a soil terrain to rocky terrain will yield you several piles of dirt IIRC // Turning gravels to rocky terrain give you dirt + rocks and such

edit: Seeing your post in VG thread: I'm pretty sure RFF remove the digging spot indeed

Hydromancerx

Ah ok no wonder I was so confused!  :o

Thanks for explaining it to me. I feel so stupid. It was so simple compared to the old way!

Mitsael

Hydromancerx!
You must use Terraform options if you want dirt. Yes! At first it is difficult to determine which is which, but believe me, in the previous alpha was more difficult, now updated icons and are more illustrative.

Look at the colors, example: https://ibb.co/b3yVNF

In the image below, you see a red box that indicates the best terrain to get more dirt, you place the pointer over it and it will appear something like that;

Place on: Fertile soil <--- Place it on
Result: rocky Dirt <--- The terrain will be like this
Gain: Three pile of dirt <--- You get

The top icon is the terrain where you place that option and the lower icon of that same box is what the terrain is transformed into.

kaptain_kavern

It took me quite some time to understand how it was working as well. But now I find it just perfect. The only reasonable way of making all those resources finite.

I'm even a bit jealous I haven't got the idea by myself ;-)

dburgdorf

Quote from: Hydromancerx on August 16, 2017, 02:00:07 PMIn the past there use to be a "Digging Spot"....

I think you may be confusing "Fertile Fields" with "Vegetable Garden." VG has "digging spots," but FF never did. (It did once have "soil pits" which worked similarly as infinite sources of dirt, but those were eliminated back in February.)

In any event, I'd strongly recommend, if you're new to "Fertile Fields," reading the "getting started" document in the mod's "About" folder. It'll clarify a lot of how the mod works. :D

And I do apologize for the confusion. I try to keep everything simple and intuitive, but the mod's kind of grown beyond my ability to do so anywhere near as well as I'd like. (And of course, what seems obvious to me might be a complete "head-scratcher" for someone else.) ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Mitsael

Without this mod, the only way to get several terrains is with the creative mode or dev (I think that's how they call it) I call it the GOD mode  8)

Madman666

One of the nicer features VG has - is an ability to place soil on any constructed floors, which works especially nice with TiberiumRim mod, that can corrupt soils, permanently damaging its fertility to a useless level. I like playing with tiberium, but since that mod's terrain types can't interact with this mod's terraforming options - can you add an expensive ability to convert constructed floors back into normal soil?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Madman666 on August 19, 2017, 01:21:25 PMCan you add an expensive ability to convert constructed floors back into normal soil?

I'm afraid you've lost me completely. What need is there to convert floors to soil -- a "conversion" which doesn't seem to make much sense, anyway -- when floors can be easily deconstructed to reveal the soil beneath them, anyway?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 19, 2017, 02:17:19 PM
Quote from: Madman666 on August 19, 2017, 01:21:25 PMCan you add an expensive ability to convert constructed floors back into normal soil?

I'm afraid you've lost me completely. What need is there to convert floors to soil -- a "conversion" which doesn't seem to make much sense, anyway -- when floors can be easily deconstructed to reveal the soil beneath them, anyway?

I said it wrong, I guess. Not conversion, but ability place new layer of soil over constructed tiles, the way it works in VG. Tiberium from TiberiumRim mod corrupts the land so that it can't be interacted with by any of the tools terraforming in your mod offers and can't be used for farming. So even if you still can say place some wooden flooring over it, you can't ever use it for growing anymore unless you use some hydroponics. If we could construct some flooring over corrupted tiles, and then place some soil over it - we could really reclaim that land back. Maybe its too much to ask, since your mod doesn't really have any connection to TiberiumRim) Forgive me a moment of selfishness.

SpaceDorf

I understood what the Madman wants :) ( to good, not to use )

== EDIT ==

Damn, Ninjad by the Madman himself :)

========

Turning ANY construced floor into soil would allow him to reclaim soil damaged or destroyed by other mods, which FF is not able to. Or putting soil on it, like you do with smooth rock.

His example is Soil destroyed by Tiberium. In addtion the Shipgenerator of the "Crashlanding Mod", and the "Quarry" Mod both generate a damaged soiltype not known to FF. ( I guess there may be more )

So creating soil from constructed floor would circumvent the percieved inability of FF to reclaim "unknown" soiltypes. 

The only other solution I can think of would be for FF to create another recipe .. buildable on any unknown, unfertile, not stony ground on which floor can be constructed which turns it into Rocky Dirt. Using the same basic recipe that turns rock floor into soil .. or which places soil onto rock ..

Based on this a question : if a mod adds new Rocktypes and Rock Floors .. does FF recognize them to build on ?

@Madman666 .. Did I get it right ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.