[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Yep, exactly. Basically, what I want is a tool to sort of "repair" any type of terrain added by other mods and not recognized by terraforming options of RFF to normal soil type, so that it can be worked with RFF's terraforming tools. Most easily that can be achieved by letting us place soil on any constructed floors, as most modded terrain type allow for building on them.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Madman666 on August 19, 2017, 03:14:22 PM
Yep, exactly. Basically, what I want is a tool to sort of "repair" any type of terrain added by other mods and not recognized by terraforming options of RFF to normal soil type, so that it can be worked with RFF's terraforming tools. Most easily that can be achieved by letting us place soil on any constructed floors, as most modded terrain type allow for building on them.

Thats my suggestion in the end .. create a soiltype similiar to constructed floor and skip that step of building a floor at all ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to allow for "reclamation" of terrain types introduced by other mods into soil, if I know what they are. (The "night soil" introduced by Dub's "Hygiene" mod can already be converted to regular soil.) But I'd have to specifically allow for them.  This would honestly be my preferred option, even though it would require the most work, as it would be the most easily balanced.

A more general "turn any terrain that doesn't match a vanilla type into soil" conversion could be introduced, but I'd by extremely wary of adding such a thing, as it would put something in the mod that I'd literally have no idea what it might actually do.

I will *not* be adding a "convert floor tiling into soil" option, though, as such a thing just makes no in-game sense at all.  :D
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

I think i mention before in the past.
Terraform to soil based on fert. of the terrain.

Madman666

So, no way to reclaim terrain damaged\occupied by some terrain types from other mods... At least for now. Too bad. I guess I'll have to dig around the code and allow doing it for my own plays. Well, thanks for answers)

Canute

At last not with this mod, you still can do it with VG mechanic, but not with VG+FF.

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on August 20, 2017, 06:01:52 AM
At last not with this mod, you still can do it with VG mechanic, but not with VG+FF.

Yeah, I know, that RFF disables that feature from VG, I am playing with VG for a long time now, but wanted to try some real terraforming. Maybe I'll be able to cancel the patch that removes this feature from VG for my run)

Canute

Just try to change the modload order.
Make sure that "Fertile Fields" appears before "Vegetable Garden", maybe that give you some VG options. But not sure about this.

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on August 20, 2017, 06:14:12 AM
Just try to change the modload order.
Make sure that "Fertile Fields" appears before "Vegetable Garden", maybe that give you some VG options. But not sure about this.

I know a bit about how it works, even if changing the order does let me use VG options, it'll also create a mess, since terrain placement isn't the only thing RFF changes in VG. I'll have to experiment with that, but I don't think I'll have a clean playthrough without some xml editing. Letting one of existing RFF terrain placement options work on constructed floor shouldn't be too hard.

dburgdorf

First, Canute, please don't recommend that anyone switch the load order of VG and FF. Loading FF before VG won't accomplish anything beneficial, and could result in duplicated items and/or half-functional options.  (I'm actually not sure just how much of a mess it would be now that most of the overrides are done via patch rather than code, but still, it wouldn't be pretty.)

As regards modded-in terrains, as I said last night, a generic conversion option would probably be the easiest "fix" to implement, though I'm not wild about the idea. I'd prefer to be able to tailor conversion requirements for specific terrains based on what those terrains actually are and how they're described in the mods that introduce them. That said, though, I may throw together such a patch today just to get it out there. (Maybe a pair of options, one to turn any unknown but nearly-fertile terrain into soil, and the other to turn any unknown and non-fertile soil to rocky dirt.)

I'm still confused about the constant return in this discussion to the idea of allowing constructed floors to be turned into soil. It doesn't actually address the issue at the core of the problem, it makes no sense from a conceptual angle, and it would be far too easy to abuse.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 20, 2017, 08:56:49 AM
I'm still confused about the constant return in this discussion to the idea of allowing constructed floors to be turned into soil. It doesn't actually address the issue at the core of the problem, it makes no sense from a conceptual angle, and it would be far too easy to abuse.

The patch allowing to do that would be awesome. And if what I want could be achieved through several steps (modded non-fertile terrain -> rocky dirt (or other  low fertility terrain) -> gravel -> eventually normal soil - that kind of expensive and slow progression towards the goal of reclaiming land that been corrupted sound even better than placing soil over constructed floors to "cover" corrupted terrain. Placing soil over constructed floors is just easiest way to implement ability to reclaim land without actually delving into other mods contens to adjust your terraforming tools to each and every one of those, that have custom terrain types. I am in no way insisting on "soil over constructed floor", I just want ot have a way to combat any type of possible terrain damage\corruption given enough time and resources =)

ChJees

Could we have a low tech way of creating crushed rocks and sand? Find it odd that we need electricity to smash rocks into smaller rocks :P. Mainly a concern since i use the Concrete add-on and would be nice to have a way, though slow to do it before you invest the 2700 research needed to do it with electricity.
Also cobblestone flooring and walls would be neat :D.

dburgdorf

Quote from: ChJees on August 20, 2017, 10:50:58 AMCould we have a low tech way of creating crushed rocks and sand?

You can already get sand by separating dirt into clay and sand at a crafting spot. Hadn't actually thought much about crushed rocks, but adding a recipe to crack stone chunks into crushed rocks at a crafting spot, as well, would certainly make sense.

Quote from: ChJees on August 20, 2017, 10:50:58 AMAlso cobblestone flooring and walls would be neat :D.

Yeah, they would. Probably won't make it into today's update, since they'll require new graphics, but I'll definitely add them to my "to do" list.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 20, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: ChJees on August 20, 2017, 10:50:58 AMCould we have a low tech way of creating crushed rocks and sand?

You can already get sand by separating dirt into clay and sand at a crafting spot. Hadn't actually thought much about crushed rocks, but adding a recipe to crack stone chunks into crushed rocks at a crafting spot, as well, would certainly make sense.
I would vote for the stonecutter bench.
But since there is not mashine power just pure muscle hammer power, stone blocks instead of chunks.
1 block -> crushed rocks
crushed rocks -> sand

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on August 20, 2017, 12:09:06 PMI would vote for the stonecutter bench. But since there is not mashine power just pure muscle hammer power, stone blocks instead of chunks. 1 block -> crushed rocks crushed rocks -> sand

I can see using the stonecutting bench, and I might as well add a crushed rock to sand recipe, though without power, it'd obviously require a lot of work.

BUT....

I won't be adding a blocks to crushed rocks recipe, as that'd totally screw up the current balance. Or had you forgotten that one stone chunk produces 20 blocks? So instead of the current one chunk = 2 crushed rocks, you'd end up with one chunk = 20 blocks = 20 crushed rocks.

(And in any event, there's no reason at all that I can see to require stone chunks to be carefully cut into blocks before allowing them to be hammered apart into small rocks.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?