[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: Madman666 on October 03, 2017, 03:15:00 PMOne thing I've noticed playing with RFF - not all terraforming related jobs give construction experience to pawns.

It's not intentional, but I haven't yet bothered to dig deep enough into the code to figure out a way around it. Basically, the game's code assumes that only "insta-build" items, like crafting spots, don't require materials, and so only awards experience to pawns when they're building something that has a material cost. It doesn't allow experience for items which are built with no requirement beyond work time. That's a perfectly reasonable assumption in the vanilla game, but unfortunately, isn't quite so reasonable where FF is concerned. And so terraforming jobs that require materials will reward pawns with XP, but those which don't require materials, won't.

Quote from: Ncates1234 on October 02, 2017, 01:13:47 AMI tend to use sandbags as early as possible and not live in deserts, gathering sand is hard. Steel is much better.

I'll admit I have trouble imagining any context in which requiring steel instead of sand for construction of sandbags is "better." It makes no more sense than the use of steel to create concrete floors. It just seems like Tynan throws steel in as an ingredient whenever he needs a "quick fix" until he can add proper materials to the game. ;)

And... "gathering sand is hard"? I take it you're overlooking the fact that all you need to do is dig up some dirt and separate it into clay and sand at a crafting spot....
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wedekit

I've been a happy camper since I've installed this and upgraded my soil up to tilled. However, I'll say it feels a bit like cheating since I'm constantly harvesting now. Blight events are hardly something to be scared of anymore.

A feature I would enjoy is to have the tilled soil degrade back down to fertile after a certain amount of time or harvests, enforcing a necessary time sink if you want to keep 180% fertile soil.

Also, I think making the tilling part something that falls under sowing would be a bit more logical. Getting a hoe and tilling soil into rows isn't building, dismantling, repairing, or performing maintenance. Construction is already an overburdened job compared to many of the others. But I understand that this may not be feasible regarding the code.

Madman666

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 03, 2017, 03:52:37 PM
Quote from: Madman666 on October 03, 2017, 03:15:00 PMOne thing I've noticed playing with RFF - not all terraforming related jobs give construction experience to pawns.

It's not intentional, but I haven't yet bothered to dig deep enough into the code to figure out a way around it. Basically, the game's code assumes that only "insta-build" items, like crafting spots, don't require materials, and so only awards experience to pawns when they're building something that has a material cost. It doesn't allow experience for items which are built with no requirement beyond work time. That's a perfectly reasonable assumption in the vanilla game, but unfortunately, isn't quite so reasonable where FF is concerned. And so terraforming jobs that require materials will reward pawns with XP, but those which don't require materials, won't.

Very interesting, i wasn't aware of this side of job EXP gain mechanics. Thanks for the information!

Ncates1234

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 03, 2017, 03:52:37 PM
And... "gathering sand is hard"? I take it you're overlooking the fact that all you need to do is dig up some dirt and separate it into clay and sand at a crafting spot....
Oh shoot. You can do that? I need to look at everything I can do...
Makes more sense too now.

Sorry for the late reply do. Rarely visit forums of any type :/

tertium

Is there a way to automatically forbid rotted mush when it forms? Or make them inherit the forbid status of the corpse that they came from? My pawns keep rushing off to the other end of the map to haul that stuff in.

Canute

hmm rotted mush from corpse ? I never encounter this.
I only geting rotted from meat/veggies/meals. My corpse dessicate over time.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on October 12, 2017, 03:29:56 AM
hmm rotted mush from corpse ? I never encounter this.
I only geting rotted from meat/veggies/meals. My corpse dessicate over time.

Me neither, getting rotten mush from corpses requires butchering.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: tertium on October 11, 2017, 06:47:14 PMIs there a way to automatically forbid rotted mush when it forms? Or make them inherit the forbid status of the corpse that they came from? My pawns keep rushing off to the other end of the map to haul that stuff in.

As noted by others, only meat, veggies and meals deteriorate into rotted mush or rotted meat.  Corpses do not.  So if you're seeing pawns run across the map to retrieve rotted mush or rotted meat, that suggests that you've been ignoring viable food that should have been hauled long before it had a chance to rot.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 12, 2017, 09:35:35 AM
Quote from: tertium on October 11, 2017, 06:47:14 PMIs there a way to automatically forbid rotted mush when it forms? Or make them inherit the forbid status of the corpse that they came from? My pawns keep rushing off to the other end of the map to haul that stuff in.

As noted by others, only meat, veggies and meals deteriorate into rotted mush or rotted meat.  Corpses do not.  So if you're seeing pawns run across the map to retrieve rotted mush or rotted meat, that suggests that you've been ignoring viable food that should have been hauled long before it had a chance to rot.  ;)

Yeah but who wants to divert energy into every drop pod that gets thrown your way. Yes I could divert a pawn to spend a whole day marching through the jungle past the panthers and cobras to pick up 62 rat meat. Why though?

Just make sure you uncheck the rotted mush box on your storage areas stockpiles.

Does anyone use rotted mush actively in their game? I have very large areas of ploughed rich soil and ignore all rotted. I get all my fertiliser from raiders or trade for it if I am being impatient.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

tertium

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 12, 2017, 09:35:35 AM
As noted by others, only meat, veggies and meals deteriorate into rotted mush or rotted meat.  Corpses do not.

Alright, thank you. I'll change the stockpile settings.

But in that case I have no idea where the rotted mush is coming from. Every five days or so there would be a single stack of 2-3 appearing somewhere on the map. I'm fairly sure it's not food dropped from a downed visitor/raider nor from cargo pods. Nor due to colonists dropping their meals they were eating when I interrupted them because the mush is often in really remote parts of the map. Berry bushes don't drop their berries when they die or get eaten by wildlife, do they? Are wild muffalos milking themselves...?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Beathrus on October 12, 2017, 06:43:48 PMSo I sorta have a problem, I'm not sure if its your mod; not completely. But could you take a look at this, or can someone?

You posted a link to a 2,500 line log file (which doesn't, at first glance, appear to show any terminal errors), and asked for someone to look at it, without even providing a clue as to what we're supposed to be looking for.

So, um... no.

What's the error you're encountering, and what makes you think it's related to "Fertile Fields"?

Give me something to work with, here.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Beathrus on October 12, 2017, 06:43:48 PM
So I sorta have a problem, I'm not sure if its your mod; not completely. But could you take a look at this, or can someone?

https://gist.github.com/feaf79d103fd462802c236b0176c78fe

First of : Which Language are you playing in ?
The FF errors are mostly about translation files.

reading from Line 291 ..

There might be a slight misunderstanding between Medieval Times and Aparello, but I don't think thats a problem.

A real problem might be " VG - Cupro Drinks " since I did not see Vegetable Garden in your Loaded List at the beginning.
It introduces or expects VG definitions, which can't be met and also clash with Medival Times and Fertile Fields because of missing fueltypes and building defs ...

Beathrus

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 12, 2017, 11:23:08 PM
Quote from: Beathrus on October 12, 2017, 06:43:48 PMSo I sorta have a problem, I'm not sure if its your mod; not completely. But could you take a look at this, or can someone?

You posted a link to a 2,500 line log file (which doesn't, at first glance, appear to show any terminal errors), and asked for someone to look at it, without even providing a clue as to what we're supposed to be looking for.

So, um... no.

What's the error you're encountering, and what makes you think it's related to "Fertile Fields"?

Give me something to work with, here.

Sorry! I wasn't thinking, I fixed that a while ago. It was Small Worlds causing the error I had.

But I do have a question now, about the Compost Barrel. Does it get filled Automatically by growers or crafters? Or is it something that needs to be monitored and manually done?

Vlad0mi3r

Haulers fill the barrels I believe.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Beathrus on October 18, 2017, 10:47:52 PM

But I do have a question now, about the Compost Barrel. Does it get filled Automatically by growers or crafters? Or is it something that needs to be monitored and manually done?

Same as Brewing .. Compost Barrels get filled and cleared by haulers.
Hauling Animals are not able to do it ( Minions, Slaves .. included )
Misc. Robots on the other hand are able to fill the Barrels.