[1.2] Better Workbench Management (QoL mod)

Started by falconne, May 30, 2017, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconne

Let me know here if anyone's had a chance to try the new version above and how it went.

aleido58

Work wonders for me!
No problems at all with the version change, and the changes you made works as intended, even with modded worbenches or modded bills, etc...
Thank you very much!

The one thing I've noticed is that when the bills are linked if you "suspend" or "delete" that bill only affects the workbench you are at. I imagine this work as intended.
Maybe if they are linked they should suspend and delete all linked, and if you "break" the link only affect that workbench? (I don't know if it's even possible...)

I think I'm going overboard with the recuests, and you deliver big time until now.  ;D

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

falconne

Quote from: aleido58 on June 19, 2017, 07:32:22 PM

Work wonders for me!
No problems at all with the version change, and the changes you made works as intended, even with modded worbenches or modded bills, etc...
Thank you very much!

The one thing I've noticed is that when the bills are linked if you "suspend" or "delete" that bill only affects the workbench you are at. I imagine this work as intended.
Maybe if they are linked they should suspend and delete all linked, and if you "break" the link only affect that workbench? (I don't know if it's even possible...)

I think I'm going overboard with the recuests, and you deliver big time until now.  ;D

Thanks for the testing. Yeah I did briefly think about linking the Suspend action but thought there might be use cases where you want to suspend them individually. Now that I think about it properly that's probably the exception rather than the rule. I'll change that in the next update.

More feature requests are good, I need ideas for future changes :)

Also I've been thinking of changing the name as the mod does more than filters now. Anyone have any ideas?

wwWraith

Quote from: falconne on June 20, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
I did briefly think about linking the Suspend action but thought there might be use cases where you want to suspend them individually. Now that I think about it properly that's probably the exception rather than the rule. I'll change that in the next update.
Can't agree. Individual Suspend still allows to suspend all linked bills manually, but with synchronized suspending you will completely deny the choice. May be it would be worth to implement both actions, like individual suspending with simple click on Suspend button and synchronized - with Shift+click. And I think there are need for some way to find out which bills are linked, may be in a hint when holding mouse cursor on that link button.

More feature requests are good, I need ideas for future changes :)
I don't know is it realizable, but I really missing the option to not only "Drop on floor" or "Take to best stockpile", but "Take to the nearest stockpile". I dream about chain logistics, ideally not only with workbenches, but also in farming and all other jobs.

One more, how about copying/pasting for only materials filter sets? It could be very useful when you want to craft various items from similar materials, for example, selecting only leathers with good insulation stats to make a set of apparel.

And a little suggestion: make default name to appear in the edit field when first time renaming the bill, because probably player wants to only add some label and not to retype it.

Also I've been thinking of changing the name as the mod does more than filters now. Anyone have any ideas?
"The Workbench Bills As They Should Be, The Mightest, Smartest, And Thoroughly Greatest!" ;D
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

AngleWyrm

Yet Another Workbench Improvement
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

DariusWolfe

Zero notable errors on a new colony (former colony went to shit just before you updated) though I keep forgetting about the naming feature. Digging the auto-open. Seemed a weirdly unnecessary extra click before.

aleido58

Maybe something like "Bills Revamped!"  8)

SpaceDorf

Feature Request : select drop/stockpile in the overview for the bill in addition to the details setting.

Name Suggestions : Improved Workbench Bills ; Improved Workbench Configuration ; Improved Bill Configuration

falconne

Thanks for the testing guys. I've updated the first post and Steam Workshop. I've changed the name as well.

I've noted all the suggestions, some good points there for future updates. I'll leave the independent suspending of linked jobs in but see if I can make Shift-Click suspend all.

MisterVertigo

Quote from: wwWraith on June 20, 2017, 06:34:29 PM
And a little suggestion: make default name to appear in the edit field when first time renaming the bill, because probably player wants to only add some label and not to retype it.

I'd like to second this. I've had limited testing with your new version as my current colony is still pretty new (I don't have multiple benches to copy bills to yet!), but this is something I noticed right away at my cooking stove.

Keep up the great work! I love this mod!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

BlackSmokeDMax

Damn impressive piece of work.

The only thing I'm noticing Enhanced Crafting has that this doesn't is the extra buttons for setting the resume level on a "Do Until you have..." bill. I'm not sure I miss them as long as you have the +/- 1 button. Vanilla is definitely missing that!

Guess it also doesn't have these:
- Worker and transportation settings can be set in the bill overview window by icon
- Minimum stock threshold settings

Don't think that I've ever used those, so I'm not missing them yet!

Am I missing anything else that Enchanced Crafting does that this does not?

I would like to second the couple other calls for keeping the original name of a bill rather than clearing it. Like most others, I tend to just tack on another little bit of info to the original bill title.

falconne

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll make the mod display the generated title by default in the rename box in the next update. I don't know why that slipped my mind before.

I don't really want to duplicate too much functionality from Enhanced Crafting as maybe the mods can be combined in the future. I've just emulated the parts of it that I felt were essential.

Keep the suggestions coming if you have them, I'll do another update when there're enough changes to make it worth it.

Regarding adding the "drop on floor" / "take to stockpile" button on the overview menu, is that option really changed so often that it would be worth taking up the space there? I would have thought you'd set that once when the bill is created and rarely change it. Is it that some people prefer to have "drop on floor" for most bills and want to be able to change it easily when they add a bill? If so I could just add a mod setting to change the default for new bills.

As for adding an option to "take to nearest stockpile" in addition to "take to best stockpile", what are the use cases where the nearest stockpile isn't the best stockpile?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: falconne on June 22, 2017, 03:39:19 AM
Regarding adding the "drop on floor" / "take to stockpile" button on the overview menu, is that option really changed so often that it would be worth taking up the space there?

Not changed that often, but if I create a "do forever" bill, I have to enter the menu just to set drop to floor instead of completely creating it on the overview.

wwWraith

Quote from: falconne on June 22, 2017, 03:39:19 AM
As for adding an option to "take to nearest stockpile" in addition to "take to best stockpile", what are the use cases where the nearest stockpile isn't the best stockpile?

For example, you may have the main freezer with the most of your raw food and prepared meals near the kitchen and some liitle fridge inside the dinner room. The goal is to have your chef to interact only with that main freezer. Then some haulers should take the meals to the dinner room when it's needed. But it requires to make that little fridge with higher priority and then the chef will consider that fridge as "best stockpile" and bring the meals he prepared there, too, wasting his time instead of just cooking. The "drop on floor" option isn't very good in this situation because meals may rot if the haulers are too busy and just cluttering the kitchen.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.