[1.2] Better Workbench Management (QoL mod)

Started by falconne, May 30, 2017, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kori

For some recipes the "minimum skills" and "store in stockpile" are overlapping, could you please rearrange that a bit?

falconne

Quote from: Kori on October 11, 2017, 10:01:21 PM
For some recipes the "minimum skills" and "store in stockpile" are overlapping, could you please rearrange that a bit?

Oh yeah that's going to be a bit annoying. Which recipe were you looking at? I'll see what I can do.

Kori

Quote from: falconne on October 11, 2017, 10:06:38 PM
Quote from: Kori on October 11, 2017, 10:01:21 PM

Oh yeah that's going to be a bit annoying. Which recipe were you looking at? I'll see what I can do.

Not a specific one but most of those recipes that require a min skill. Cook fine meal for example.
Thank you! :)

Boxmanbr

HelpTab can be used as a workaround when you can't see the information of a recipe.

Kori

I just noticed that the overlapping also happens when there are several different ingredients (for example meat and vegetarian) so it is not limited to recipes that require a skill.

falconne

Yes I'm going to move some of the inputs around a bit and reduce sizes to allow more room in the info area. There'll probably still be some recipes with long info sections that would overlap, but hopefully that will be minimal.

Kori

Cool thanks, I really enjoy this mod, it makes the game so much better!

Kori

Quote from: falconne on October 13, 2017, 05:09:17 PM
Yes I'm going to move some of the inputs around a bit and reduce sizes to allow more room in the info area. There'll probably still be some recipes with long info sections that would overlap, but hopefully that will be minimal.

I installed the new version of Prison Labor which adds a new button to the bills menu beneath the Take to best stockpile button and noticed, that when the required space of all elements exceeds the limits of the bill's info screen, that part of the info area becomes scrollable with the mousewheel!  :o

Maybe you don't need any workarounds or size reductions. Just exceed the limit so it becomes scrollable?

falconne

It works there because they are changing the dialog code directly, which I want to avoid doing until absolutely necessary.

It's ok, I should be able to move things around and get rid of some unnecessary labels too add enough space above to be enough for most recipes.

Nightinggale

I have run into two problems with v17.7.

The first one is cooking. I have the following bills at the stove:
Fine meal: (45) 36/60 /49
Simple meal: (20) 13/30 /49
Fine meal is active. However simple meals refuse to get active to maintain 30. If I increase the goal to 300, it becomes active, but I don't want to cook 300. I want to maintain a sane level for the prisoners.

It looks to me that the /49 tells that I have 49 food in total and somehow simple meals use the total number rather than the number of simple meals. That in itself is a really cool feature, but it would be nice to be able to switch it to look at just simple meals. I can find valid setups for both options.

Also the numbers in the list of bills are on top of each other and are hard to read, but I think that's already a known issue.

The other problem is with the stone cutting table. For some reason "make any stone blocks" is missing a lot (see screenshot). It works fine if I pick a recipe for a specific type. I will not completely rule out a mod conflict, but I would like to have confirmed that it works for other people before I start investigating that path as it could be time consuming.

I also have a few feature requests:

Pause when storage of ingredients are below X. An example would be to produce something when wood > 1000. This way you can be sure you will keep enough wood for fuel.

Another useful feature would be do something X times each day. This means it should store the number and it goes down when used, just like vanilla X times. However on new day event (midnight), it copies the stored number into the current number for X times, meaning if you set it to 3. It will be reset to 3 each midnight. This can be particularly useful with some mods, like you want to train once a day for many days.

I will say I absolutely love this mod. It gives the perfect mix of avoiding micro management while at the same time you still have full control of what is going on. You did a great job  :D

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

falconne

I think the meal quantities are to do with the Meal Equivalency mod. You'll want to tweak the settings in that.

I do know about the issue with generic stone cutting. For some reason the game's recipe for generic stone blocks is very different to other recipes, including specific stone blocks. I didn't want to mess with it till I'd followed through the code to see why that was. I will get around to checking that in the next update.

Nightinggale

In other words I discovered two issues, one being in another mod and one is a known vanilla issue. Considering that I didn't find any other issues, I say it looks fairly decent for this mod  ;)

Quote from: falconne on October 16, 2017, 10:59:15 PM
I think the meal quantities are to do with the Meal Equivalency mod. You'll want to tweak the settings in that.
You are right. Disabling the food merging in the mod settings fixed the problem and it also fixed the problem with the numbers being printed on top of each other. This means the print is a mod compatibility issue, though it's a tiny GUI glitch, which doesn't break the game in any way. Not only do the mods use different font color, which makes it a little readable, the numbers are in plain sight if you click on the details button.

It made me wonder. It can be a really useful feature, but it would be best to have it in bills rather than a global setting. What if the output of the bill is something from the Meals category, then it will add a checkbox for what to count and it displays everything in the Meals category? Default would be just itself. However it would allow requesting a certain amount of simple and fine meals combined etc. The really useful setup would be to have simple meals as the lowest priority, count all types of meals, which enables all ingredients. This will then kick in if you say run out of meat. In that case, you will get a bunch of simple meals rather than colonists starting to eat raw rice. Meal Equivalency mod will not allow the player to do that and still maintain a small amount of simple meals for the prisoners or ascetics.

I guess that makes it my third feature request.

Quote from: falconne on October 16, 2017, 10:59:15 PMI do know about the issue with generic stone cutting. For some reason the game's recipe for generic stone blocks is very different to other recipes, including specific stone blocks.
Maybe you should make a bug report. The best long term solution for all mods would be to get vanilla to use a standard for recipes, which means if a mod works for one recipe, the same code works for all. Only allowing one setup would also help improving compatibility between mods in the future.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

falconne

I've made a new build which re-arranges the new controls a bit to leave more space in the info column. The "Assign to Worker" button has been moved to the top of the second column and the "Take to specific stockpile" button has been "combined" with the existing action choice button, so it now lets you choose to "Drop on floor", "Take to best stockpile" and then lists all the individual stockpiles as well.

There's been a few more small adjustments and all in all this should be fine for leaving space for all but the most descriptive recipes.

If you are able to, please test the new build v17.8 and let me know what you think. I have updated the last update post with the new download link and screenshot.

Kori

Quote from: falconne on October 31, 2017, 05:06:55 AM
I've made a new build which re-arranges the new controls a bit to leave more space in the info column. The "Assign to Worker" button has been moved to the top of the second column and the "Take to specific stockpile" button has been "combined" with the existing action choice button, so it now lets you choose to "Drop on floor", "Take to best stockpile" and then lists all the individual stockpiles as well.

There's been a few more small adjustments and all in all this should be fine for leaving space for all but the most descriptive recipes.

If you are able to, please test the new build v17.8 and let me know what you think. I have updated the last update post with the new download link and screenshot.

Very good update, I finally can see all recipes now, thanks! :)

Something I've noticed but which might be happening because of the Prison Labor mod which adds another button to the second column:
The "Not Suspended/ Suspended" button is located where the very first button of this column usually is, with "Assign To Worker" being right above it. That means "Assign To Worker" is in the header (although it is perfectly aligned with the other buttons), slightly covering long recipe names (only a few pixles).
Also when you scroll the second column, "Assign To Worker" is the only one that doesn't scroll.

Is that because of Prison Labor? It's not a big deal though.

falconne

Quote from: Kori on October 31, 2017, 06:59:51 PM
Something I've noticed but which might be happening because of the Prison Labor mod which adds another button to the second column:
The "Not Suspended/ Suspended" button is located where the very first button of this column usually is, with "Assign To Worker" being right above it. That means "Assign To Worker" is in the header (although it is perfectly aligned with the other buttons), slightly covering long recipe names (only a few pixles).
Also when you scroll the second column, "Assign To Worker" is the only one that doesn't scroll.

Is that because of Prison Labor? It's not a big deal though.

Yes, it's because I'm putting buttons on top of the existing window without changing it, rather than injecting code into the dialog as the Prison Labour mod is doing. I wanted to avoid injecting code into the dialog because often any two mods that inject code into the same function can't live together (so if I'd done that then you might have to choose between using my mod or the Prison Labour one). This way my mod can still live alongside other mods, even if it means it's not always pretty.