Mortars are awesome now

Started by kenmtraveller, May 30, 2017, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmtraveller

I love the new A17 mortars.  They are the definite counter for poison/psychic ships now that I can't wall them up and mine them with explosives.  I never felt that they were worth it before, but my current base has 3 mortars and a stockpile of 30 shells available to make the mechaniods come to me.

Dashthechinchilla

I would recommend 50/75 (I like increments of 25). 30 gives your mortars only 10 salvos each, which won't take long. If you end up with back to back events that need it, you may run out.

ITypedThis

They're surprisingly effective against raids as well now. Every time a group attacks my colony but waits out for a bit, I rain explosives down upon them and tear them limb from limb before anyone's even fired a shot. >:D

paragonid

Do using mortars make skill check?

O Negative

There was a huge thread about mortar balance a long while ago.

Tynan probably noticed the fact that people were saying they hardly use them, and made some really decent improvements.

They're certainly not OP, but they're definitely scary now :D

Panzer

Definitely scary. In the old days I needed like 6 mortars to reliably soften raids, now I can do the same with 2. Sieges usually lose too much men before they can set up their mortars, waiting raids lose around 1/4 of their force and attack with quite a few injured people, so yeah, having mortars pays off.

Jovus

Quote from: Panzer on May 30, 2017, 04:46:37 PM
Sieges usually lose too much men before they can set up their mortars

Sounds like a good reason to have siegers bring mortars with them, instead of building them on-site.

Shurp

Smart idea, considering how easily pawns pick them up and relocate them. 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Rafe009

I'm rushing the hell out of mortar research right now.

Does this mean that I should probably dig into the mountain and make a temporary holdout zone - exclusively for mortar assaults - so that i can send my non-combatants and doctors there when a siege occurs and release them when the siege ends because insects.

wired2thenet

I'm curious.  After reading this thread, I decided to start a test colony to check it out.  I haven't really seen much of a difference myself. :(