[A17] Economic Stability

Started by AngleWyrm, May 30, 2017, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

Tired of getting stiffed by traders?
Stiff them back!

This mod gives the player the ability to sell items at the same 50% mark-up to market value that other traders charge.

Downloads
github releases page

License
Public Domain - you are free to copy, edit and learn from the source code
Distribution - mod packs and alternate download sites are welcome.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

grimsurgent

thank god for this! with the new update it was near impossible to make any silver with the 50% on buying and selling

Love

I assume this is only when you make the effort to form a caravan and trade at their settlement?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Love on May 30, 2017, 05:25:48 PM
I assume this is only when you make the effort to form a caravan and trade at their settlement?
It applies to all traders, including those that visit and those in orbit.

There are additional benefits that are less obvious:
  • Silver gains the merit of a useful unit of measure for comparison shopping
  • It becomes easy for modders to understand and thereby set prices relative to the the rest of the things on offer
  • It redirects the general desire to create money sinks into the specific motive to create purchasable content

dburgdorf

So with this mod, merchants in the RimWorld universe will pay the exact same markup on items they buy from you, that they charge on items they sell to you, cutting their profit to 0%, just like... absolutely NO merchant in the real world. OK. Whatever. *Shrug*

As Love seemed to be suggesting above, I could see allowing players to sell at marked-up prices when they're actually acting as the trader (via caravan), for precisely the same reason that NPC traders who come to players' settlements sell at a markup. But as a universal change? Personally, I think it's a bad idea.

You might want to figure out how to limit the markup to selling from caravans, and then maybe provide a configuration setting so that players can decide whether they want a universal markup or a more realistic "only when they're actually the merchant" markup.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Jerryn

Yeah gotta agree with Dorf. This is just another mod to make the game easy. Except it also makes the game illogical (even for Rimworld). But for your own trading caravans this should be stock.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: dburgdorf on May 31, 2017, 01:41:09 PM
So with this mod, merchants in the RimWorld universe will pay the exact same markup on items they buy from you, that they charge on items they sell to you, cutting their profit to 0%
And what have you to say about my sales?
Does it make sense for me to sell something at 1/2 of it's value instead of at a profit?

The "profit markup" is 50% of market value for everyone. Let that sink in. Everyone. When it becomes obvious that is illusory profit, that nothing is in fact gained, you will be in a better place of understanding and trades can become more about what is being traded.

Jerryn

What do you mean by everyone? They're NPCs lmao are you saying you are jealous they are "making more money than you?" They aren't actually going around trading in the world. They trade to only you cause the game is centered around you. These are some terrible justifications for a easy mode mod.

dburgdorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 31, 2017, 01:54:54 PMThe "profit markup" is 50% of market value for everyone. Let that sink in. Everyone. When it becomes obvious that is illusory profit, that nothing is in fact gained, you will be in a better place of understanding and trades can become more about what is being traded.

Yes, please, Angler's Worm, let it sink in. You're setting a universal "profit markup" for EVERYONE. Let's apply that to a real world situation. You walk into a game store with games to sell. The merchant buys them from you at exactly the same price at which he'll later sell them to someone else. When it becomes obvious to you that that's a nonsensical way to do business, you will be in a better place to understand economics.

Look, I didn't comment to start an argument; I simply made a suggestion that I thought might help you improve your mod. But it's your mod. Do with it as you like.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

AngleWyrm

Can you hear that?

It's the sound of the tears of my enemies

Love

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 31, 2017, 02:14:49 PM

Can you hear that?

It's the sound of the tears of my enemies

are you for real

Thirite

I know this is rich coming from me, but please try to remain civil. Dorf is just giving constructive criticism. He's not your "enemy". Being able to screw NPC traders over is a great idea but it should have balancing. Criticism should always be met with an open mind; presuming they are wrong and you're 100% correct already is a bad way of thinking that I fell into the trap of with my own mod recently. And made a huge ass of myself in the process.

Akato

kutch

Thank you for this mod.  Always great to see more mods!

Question:  Is there a way to change the percentage?  So instead of always being equal, could we make it 10% of original value and/or 200%?

Maybe even a way where it adjusts over time as build up rappor with the trader(s), or they could give us a better rate the more we trade?  Just some thoughts.

I do like the premise of this mod.

skullywag

Keep it civil please, its a mod if you dont like it move along.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?