How do you deal with the capturing ordeal ?

Started by British, October 22, 2013, 03:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

The title should be self-sufficient, but allow me to elaborate...

When your colony is at a rather advanced stage, you have potent weapons, or the opportunity (and funds !) to buy them.
The issue here is that those weapons, with or without adding turrets in the equation, pretty much have all raiders getting consistently killed.

I've tried to disable the turrets and have my colonists literally hand-pick targets, but they always die nonetheless.

So, dear testers and YouTubers, do you have a special way of capturing raiders ?

SleepyFox

The unfortunate thing I find is that even with hand-picked (lovingly I might add) targets, even in early stages raiders tend to just flat out die. I think some of it is in the storyteller, which likes denying me new blood for my colony when I'm doing way too well. Even with a pistol and an uzi, Richard the disgruntled oaf dies into overkill thanks to a convenient critical hit or some such. I think until we get non-lethal (or less-than-lethal) weapons we're stuck with the random whims of the storyteller and combat for the moment.

Though if you're clever, building a wall behind the raiders in the middle of a firefight could help, make 'em run past your defenders and then run in and melee them into submission while they're trying to flee. Just an idea. Haven't tried it.
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

British

I think the problem is that you can only capture them when they're stunned, and it doesn't happen that much (or doesn't "stick" long enough)...

Semmy

Quote from: British on October 22, 2013, 05:04:45 AM
I think the problem is that you can only capture them when they're stunned, and it doesn't happen that much (or doesn't "stick" long enough)...

Basicly i saw alot of suggestions within the cheapest idea's topic and different weapon topics.

We need stunguns, dart guns, sleep grenades and clubs to pummel them.
And maybe the occasional kitten or puppy to seduce them
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British

Indeed, but this topic isn't about suggestion (hence why it's in the General Discussion forum), it's about how people are handling the capture as of now.

Semmy

i have a squad of 4/6 guys with just guns.

they flank and take some raiders from the other side and stun them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

miah999

Honestly I haven't found an effective method to deal with this, if I try to be lees lethal, I end up with dead colonists. So, I just buy slaves.

British

I try to do that as well, but the slave traders are really few and far between for me... hence the OP :'(

miah999

I know, less lethals like the tasers suggested above my be the way to go in the future.

But as it stands now, you might need to let the raiders get in close before you fire at them, so you can get to them to capture them. I'll have to try a couple ideas, and see how they go and report back.

British

Yup, that's what I said I do :P

One problem I may be causing is that I use blasting charges to skim through the raiders (since now there's always at least 8 of them).
Though that may not be a real problem, as even when I let some raiders through untouched, they don't get the elusive stun.

I'm pondering using only pistol to see if it helps...

miah999

Quote from: British on October 22, 2013, 07:44:09 AM
Yup, that's what I said I do :P

Sorry I meant to indicate that I agree with you on that point, but sometimes I type faster then I think.  :-\

British

No worries, I may happen to jump the gun now and then as well ;)

And while I'm thinking about it, there's also the issue with fleeing raiders getting consistently away...
The entrance to my base is very close to a border of the map, and the cowards tend to be able to escape.
I might place some sandbags in the way to slow them down (far enough from my turrets, obviously), and then let a guy there, initially out of sight...

miah999

Guess you could build a wall along the border, but that could be expensive.

British

aerojet029

Digging through some of the compiled scripts, it appears that the different modes (classic, hard, random, Phoebe) have a variable basically saying and Ideal amount of survivors. Classic was set at 7 and Phoebe was set at 15. on a Phoebe play through i have 16, and a friend of mine on classic had 8. what this seems to me is the game "AI" initiates events that would give you people or allow you to capture more (slave traders, travelers, raiders incapacitated) when you have less than the ideal number for that game mode. this seems to be an effort to keep the colonist number down and events like 18 raiders on classic a massive ordeal without planning and logistics. I can't be 100% sure about this.. maybe some other more intelligent people can shed some light.