[A17] Pawns Are Capable! (No More Disabled Work!) Updated 06/14/2017!

Started by Rimrue, May 31, 2017, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

This mod is now released! :)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33693.msg344166#msg344166

Pawns being incapable of certain jobs is always a much debated topic on this forum. The latest discussion (found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32541.msg332750#msg332750 ) got me thinking about the issue and I think I may have come up with a solution that allows players to assign work to pawns, but still allows some pawns, as Tynan put it, to be "useless." So rather than debate it further on the forums, I thought I'd just go ahead and make a mod to demonstrate my idea--the same way the Children & Pregnancy and Simple Sidearms modders did.

It's getting very close to release now, it just needs some tweaking and fine-tuning.

So how does it work?

This mod completely revamps the backstories and traits system in Rimworld. Pawns are now no longer incapable of performing jobs. However, based on their personal traits and backstories, they may not like the jobs assigned to them. Not only will they be unhappy if you assign them a job they don't want to do, they will be slower at doing it, and more likely to do a bad job or even fail at it. And, yes, there is a Useless trait. Lol

What works:

18 of the 20 new traits 20 of the 21 ALL 22 of the new traits!  :)
121 vanilla basic backstories
78 custom backstories
28 74 of the 232 :o player-created characters
Alerts for when pawns are assigned to jobs they don't want to do

What doesn't:

The Neat Freak and Rockhound traits don't actually do anything at this point
The Pyromaniac trait still disables firefighting
The player-created character names also random-generate backstories. If you're looking for any of the original characters, you may have to re-roll (hit the random button) a lot at the start to find them.
Occasionally you will end up with a pawn with a passion for a job or who has a high skill stat for a job but also has a trait that makes them hate it. I'm still working out how to stop that from happening.  :P

What needs work:

Balancing the mood debuff so it's a deterrent but not ridiculous (So far no negative feedback about this, so maybe it okay?)
Adding the rest of the player-created characters
Get Rockhound and Neat Freak working Works now! (Thanks Fluffy! :D )
Patch Pyromaniac
Possibly adding new traits if they fit with the rest (open to suggestions!)
Figure out how to highlight jobs pawns don't want to do in the Work Menu
Make non-colonists not get a mood debuff for being assigned work. No more unhappy non-colonists! (Only exception being non-violents still get a debuff for holding a weapon.)

Extra-special thanks to Rainbeau for letting me use his Editable Backstories mod as a framework and for walking me through some modding hiccups!

Also extra-extra-special thanks to Fluffy for helping me out with my C# code.

Please download Pawns Are Capable! on Dropbox here (I won't be uploading it to Steam until I've finished adding the rest of the player-created characters):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic53knqaadfl89z/PawnsAreCapableV17.1.4.zip?dl=0

Please note you will need a new game unless you want your pawns backstories regenerated!

And please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Sniper Pilot

This is very promising! Will test it out- but just to be clear ill have to customize the pawns (with the background stories that you have modified) to be able to see any effect right?

Rimrue

No customization required. Pawns generate randomly as in vanilla. Just if you want say Engie you'd have to reroll a lot to find her as sometimes the game will generate her name with a random backstories.

Thanks for trying it out!

Sniper Pilot

Cool! Downloading now, I just got hung up on the "Have to roll a lot" part

Sniper Pilot

Hey Rimrue, im loving this so far- Especially in Emergency Situations! Though i keep forgetting who's preference is what (my fault not yours, the game even alerts you on the side lol)

Thirite

Sounds promising! I always hated the idea that a pawn could be completely incapable of something even if it meant their imminent death.
> Well there's a machinegun right here and this one raider is about to cut my wife's throat, but violence is wrong. Sorry honey

Like in pretty much every single case I can imagine, it would make way more sense to have a "I hate doing this -15" moodlet or something than "I will literally never do this even if it kills me."

Rimrue

Quote from: Sniper Pilot on May 31, 2017, 08:06:19 PM
Hey Rimrue, im loving this so far- Especially in Emergency Situations! Though i keep forgetting who's preference is what (my fault not yours, the game even alerts you on the side lol)

Yay! Glad you are enjoying it so far!

You just gave me an idea for the work menu. I'll have to see if it's possible, but having the squares change colour (maybe red?) when a pawn hates a job would be helpful in remembering who hates what. Lol

Thanks for the feedback so far! :)

Rimrue

Quote from: Thirite on May 31, 2017, 08:28:13 PM
Sounds promising! I always hated the idea that a pawn could be completely incapable of something even if it meant their imminent death.
> Well there's a machinegun right here and this one raider is about to cut my wife's throat, but violence is wrong. Sorry honey

Like in pretty much every single case I can imagine, it would make way more sense to have a "I hate doing this -15" moodlet or something than "I will literally never do this even if it kills me."

Absolutely!

Or "I'm bleeding out, but won't self-tend my wounds."

Or "The base is burning down around me, but I won't put out the fire."

Or "I'd rather eat this raw meat than cook it."

So annoying! Lol

Sniper Pilot

Nice thanks for the update! Btw I've noticed that even pawns that are spawned by the game i.e. Traders, friendly caravans, raiders etc have sometimes a major mood debuff due to them  being assigned wardening, labor etc. It causes a mental break to at least one in a group which hilariously makes them go crazy on their own people and usually = free loot. But it's kinda a bug don't you think?

onerous1

Quote from: Sniper Pilot on June 05, 2017, 07:36:35 AM
Nice thanks for the update! Btw I've noticed that even pawns that are spawned by the game i.e. Traders, friendly caravans, raiders etc have sometimes a major mood debuff due to them being assigned wardening, labor etc. It causes a mental break to at least one in a group which hilariously makes them go crazy on their own people and usually = free loot. But it's kinda a bug don't you think?

I don't know. Things like that happen with the Hospitality mod, too. Some examples: a member of the group goes on a drug binge and does, social fights are started and one member ends up dead. So the group suffers from the same issues as your pawns. I find it's more of a bug that the members of that faction don't bother to pick up their dead member's stuff and haul it back.

Rimrue

Quote from: Sniper Pilot on June 05, 2017, 07:36:35 AM
Nice thanks for the update! Btw I've noticed that even pawns that are spawned by the game i.e. Traders, friendly caravans, raiders etc have sometimes a major mood debuff due to them  being assigned wardening, labor etc. It causes a mental break to at least one in a group which hilariously makes them go crazy on their own people and usually = free loot. But it's kinda a bug don't you think?

Yeah, it's a bug. Non-colonists should ignore those thoughts, but they don't for some reason. I'm working on fixing it. ;)

Thanks!

Sniper Pilot

Quote from: Rimrue on June 05, 2017, 12:45:16 PM
Yeah, it's a bug. Non-colonists should ignore those thoughts, but they don't for some reason. I'm working on fixing it. ;)

Thanks!

Ok cool! Thank you for all you do!

Is there something wrong with dropbox btw? or temporarily taken down?