Purple Screen

Started by Robrogamer, May 31, 2017, 10:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robrogamer

I get a purple screen every time i run the game now????
I have over 200 hours on rimworld.
ive tried restarting my pc verified cashe, restarting steam, deleted game and reinstalled still messed up game plz help!

nccvoyager

Could you please upload a copy of your log file, either as an attachment (compressed if necessary) or via a site like Pastebin, or a cloud storage site like Google Drive?

QuoteLog File
Posting a log file means uploading the log RimWorld generated. Here's where to find it:
Windows (Steam): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\output_log.txt
Windows (non-Steam) has TWO possible locations:
RimWorld####Win\RimWorld####Win_Data\output_log.txt
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\output_log.txt
Mac (Steam): Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Mac (non-Steam): /Users/[your user name]/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Linux (Steam): /home/<UserName>/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log
Note: You must run RimWorld from the console or the log file will not be created.  If you don't run RimWorld from the console, you may find the log at /tmp/rimworld_log
Linux (non-Steam): /home/[your user name]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log

Robrogamer

output log attatched

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

nccvoyager

Since Rimworld is using DX11 according to the log file, this appears to be a system running Windows 10.
Now, this "purple" (or magenta) image is the "fallback" shader that Rimworld (or perhaps the Unity engine) uses when a shader fails to load.
As-is, this appears to most commonly be caused by a graphics driver failure.

The newer 200-series drivers seem to have this type of issue with RimWorld, or perhaps the Unity engine.

My first suggestion would be to attempt to update to the newest driver for your graphics card.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-200-Series-Drivers.aspx#win10

If the issue persists, you may need to uninstall the current AMD display driver and download an older version of the AMD display driver.
As per the instructions provided by another user that was having the same issue, also with a 200 series AMD card, the 16.12.2 driver (released 1/8/2017) should work.
Link to previous 200 series drivers:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

Robrogamer

ok well the old driver worked so what i cant ever update my driver now?

Calahan

Quote from: Robrogamer on June 01, 2017, 12:41:27 PM
ok well the old driver worked so what i cant ever update my driver now?
For whatever reason, the most recent set of AMD drivers are causing problems with Unity's shader support, as there have been multiple pink/purple screen reports now from AMD users. I'm not sure if this driver issue affects all Unity games or just some of them, but I doubt it's a RimWorld only issue.

Whether the fault rests with AMD, Unity, or both I do not know. But unfortunately, until one or both of the aforementioned parties address the issue at their end (most likely AMD), all we can suggest here is for AMD users to use an older driver for RimWorld and wait for the newer drivers to fix the problem (which I assume they will at some point, but only AMD know when and how long it'll take).

There might be an alternative solution for AMD users that allows them to use the newer drivers (such as using the AMD CP to force RimWorld to use such and such settings), but until someone posts an alternative then we only have the one solution to offer right now (which so far has worked for all the AMD users who've reported this problem recently).

Robrogamer

it probably is a problem with that driver though because i was having trouble with total war: warhammer too and it seemed to also resolve that issue.

Calahan

^ That's interesting, and from the PoV of AMD fixing this issue asap, it might be a good thing that a game like TW:Warhammer is having problems as well. Since Creative Assembly certainly have more capacity to pressure AMD into a speedy resolution than any small indie studio does, and I'd imagine if enough AMD users complain to CA then I'd assume they'd quickly chase the issue up with AMD (especially if it starts costing them sales/refunds).

psannz

Hi, am having the pink screen issue here, too.

OS is Win 10 1703 x64, AMD GPU Driver is version 17.5.2.
Rimworld version is 0.17.1546 rev882

Initialize engine version: 5.3.4f1 (fdbb5133b820)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
d3d: no support for this device type (accelerated/ref)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics (ID=0x67df)
    Vendor:   ATI
    VRAM:     3072 MB
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading' - Setting to default shader.

I can confirm that A15 starts normally, while A16 and A17 both start without shaders and therefore pink.

Calahan

@ psannz - Have you tried installing an older AMD? (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

milon

If that doesn't work, uninstall the driver (& delete it when prompted) then reboot. Windows should automatically download the best match it can find, and you'll likely get a more generic driver that might give you better success.

sannz

Quote from: Calahan on June 02, 2017, 10:23:48 AM
@ psannz - Have you tried installing an older AMD? (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

Yes, older driver works. Buggered performance on newer games tho...
AMD driver version 17.10.1731 (17.4.4) is causing pink screens, too.

sannz

Rejoice!

AMD Driver 17.7.1 (17.10.3211; released 14.07.2017) runs Rimworld (0.17.1557) once again.

milon

Awesome, glad to hear it!

nccvoyager