Colonists randomly vote to kick out another colonist if unliked

Started by 4myGod, June 01, 2017, 01:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4myGod

In the same way that a person can just join a colony without you accepting, a person can be kicked out if he has too many enemies in the colony.

Limdood

instant death is never fun.  especially with something as far outside the player's control as the social system. 

You have an industrious, iron willed lv 18 crafter that your colony depends on?  too bad, he has an annoying voice, so most colonists have a less than 0 mood towards him, he's out!  *Player turns off Rimworld and goes to play a game that doesn't blatantly troll them in their face*

jchavezriva

BetaSpectre

Don't really like this idea I'd just kill all the other colonists.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Aerial

The Hospitality mod handles this pretty well by giving you a choice whether to accept the wanderer who wants to join (and tells you what traits they have so you can make an informed decision!). 

I have another mod (maybe by SeveralPuffins?) that will allow pawns to defect and leave the colony if they have no friends.  It's a rare event, so it's not like every pawn who only has acquaintances will up and leave, but if they're miserable enough for long enough there's a distinct possibility that they'll decide to seek a better life elsewhere.

Names are for the Weak

Sounds like it has too much potential for BS situations.

"Hey, Johnny, I know you're the best doctor in the colony, and there are 10 people right now that need treatment for the plague, not to mention that you're a great shooter...but since you look like the lovechild of Frankenstein's monster and The Elephant Man, you're getting kicked out."

Sola

Quote from: Limdood on June 01, 2017, 08:51:48 PM
instant death is never fun.  especially with something as far outside the player's control as the social system. 

There are enough ways to get a game over without needing to kick the dwarf fortress up to eleven.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

BetaSpectre

The social system isn't actually out of the player's control. You can control the negative possibilities, and control some of the positive ones.

Get like minded people together working the same jobs in the same area more or less.

Or you can deliberately mug a colonist over and over again to bring the stats lower. Removing social areas or draft and canceling when a colonist wants to socialize.

All of these things will impact the colonists. Now the amount of micro simply isn't fun.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

eadras

I can see it now.  Jill is scratched in the eye by a manhunting squirrel, and becomes "disfigured", resulting in everyone instantly hating her and voting her off the island.  Sound fun  ::)

Trylobyte

Too much of the social system is outside of a player's control because most of the biggest hits to social relations are both permanent and RNG.  I am of course referring to traits like Creepy Breathing or Ugly, or disfigurement in combat like missing an ear or a nose.  I have no control over these and can do nothing to change them, and because the starting relationship is so low insults and social fights are bound to happen and tank it even further.

TheMeInTeam

I would prefer the game shores up the few areas it lacks agency rather than stripping agency from the player.