Give NPC tribal communities access to training wild animals

Started by BadgeAddict, November 14, 2017, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgeAddict

Given that tribals are very much a hunter/farmer society, it would make sense if they were able to train animals as well or better than colonists. It seems a bit unfair that you can wipe out a tribal village because you have access to better weapons. But if they had their own trained pack of wardogs (or other war-boars) then suddenly tribal attacks would be a little more fair.

It would also be nice if attacking raiders and tribals brought some of their trained war animals with them to attack.

Limdood

tribal attacks are already balanced....way more bodies than a pirate raid.

In a standard, "everyone hide behind sandbags/trees/rocks" shootout, colonists can generally fare alright vs. pirates.  Try the same tactic vs. tribals, and the sheer number of bodies will get to your pawns and probably overwhelm them.

Sure, you build an explodey killbox or corridor, and the tribals don't feel very dangerous anymore, but thats using the system against itself, not an inherent inferiority in the relative strengths of the raids.

Also, many tribal backgrounds seem to give animal skill bonuses, so you already have better animal training modeled into the tribals

BadgeAddict

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I'm suggesting that tribals have trained animal companions like war-boars or war-dogs with them. Like when they attack you.

JimmyAgnt007

Body armor for animals.  It would improve their survivability.  If vehicles are ever a thing, elephants can be used as such.  Mount some auto turrets on them or other large animals maybe?  But I am getting off topic.  Seeing tribals bring animals instead of more people, would be neat.

Aside from that, I always have a melee line in front of my shooters in my minimally exploity killbox.  So I am ready for anything.

mistomaxo

i think it's great. after a certain point tribals are a joke to deal with. but imagine if they brought wargs and war elephants if they chose to raid you lategame?

frankly, tribals should also have catapult technology to serve as budget mortars

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 14, 2017, 11:09:17 AM
Given that tribals are very much a hunter/farmer society, it would make sense if they were able to train animals as well or better than colonists. It seems a bit unfair that you can wipe out a tribal village because you have access to better weapons. But if they had their own trained pack of wardogs (or other war-boars) then suddenly tribal attacks would be a little more fair.

It would also be nice if attacking raiders and tribals brought some of their trained war animals with them to attack.

It would be kind of cool if raiders or attacking enemies would sometimes bring along war animals. If the player can do it, why not them too? I could easily imagine a group of pirates bringing along a few wargs with them to try and take out your ranged units.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: mistomaxo on November 14, 2017, 02:12:56 PM
i think it's great. after a certain point tribals are a joke to deal with. but imagine if they brought wargs and war elephants if they chose to raid you lategame?

frankly, tribals should also have catapult technology to serve as budget mortars

catapults that fire rock chunks, balistas instead of turrets, we can have fun with that.