Packaged Survival Meal won't survive

Started by Blastoderm, May 29, 2017, 09:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolflash

Quote from: Nainara on May 29, 2017, 01:09:12 PM
Do PSM's have any distinct advantage over pemmican? They seem to cost a lot more research.

Your missing three points truthfully.
1. PSM do not expire while Pemmican does (takes a long time though)
2. PSM have a 0.9 nutritional value while each Pemmican has 0.02 (approx). Weight to nutritional value wise PSM is amazing for travelling and usually 1 PSM a day is enough for each settler
3. A lot of food is wasted in making PSMs while Pemmican is more economical to produce (Note: To produce only... For consumption, PSM better)

I usually take PSM accompanied by some Pemmican on my trips (for animals). If your making PSMs for your base consumption, then make very little in case of emergencies (Power outage and everything else expires). Otherwise PSMs are a waste and even fine meals are better value.

Limdood

Quote from: coolflash on May 31, 2017, 11:31:12 AM

2. PSM have a 0.9 nutritional value while each Pemmican has 0.02 (approx). Weight to nutritional value wise PSM is amazing for travelling and usually 1 PSM a day is enough for each settler
3. A lot of food is wasted in making PSMs while Pemmican is more economical to produce (Note: To produce only... For consumption, PSM better)

You are COMPLETELY wrong.  pemmican is 0.05 each.  it is created 18 at a time (that's 0.9, same as a PSM) for HALF the ingredients of a PSM.  It is more economical to both produce AND consume (as it costs half as much AND only as much as is needed is consumed, so anytime a pawn needs 85% or less of their hunger bar filled, they save some food).

All these points have also already been made IN THIS THREAD.

Sunfish

On the subject of just forbidding your PSMs, if you double click an item or stack you'll be able to highlight all like objects on your screen (so like all clubs, beds, corn, etc) and mass forbid them. Then at least it won't be so tedious to forbid them.

Bozobub

Quote from: Sunfish on May 31, 2017, 12:31:17 PM
On the subject of just forbidding your PSMs, if you double click an item or stack you'll be able to highlight all like objects on your screen (so like all clubs, beds, corn, etc) and mass forbid them. Then at least it won't be so tedious to forbid them.
If there's more than 1 stack, using this method, that means *you waited until there was more than 1 stack*, thus exposing your PSMs to illicit munchery that entire time ???.
Thanks, belgord!

RemingtonRyder

My suggestion would be to put your PSM production building away from the main colony buildings, with its own freezer for temporarily storing raw food.

You might still get some munching, but because colonists search for meals nearby before going for faraway ones, it might at least be kept to a minimum.

Listen1

I have a large problem in my colony, since I use the Nutrient Paste Dispenser, All Pemmican and Survival Meal are eaten before the Nutrient Paste. I can see why, because no one can eat that.

The solution I found is to make an area(zone) that only the cook can go, and store my meals there. That's how I minimized the number of colonists eating these foods (unless they go into a food binge)

cultist

Isn't pemmican a lot heavier than PSMs though? Weight can be an issue with caravans.

OFWG

Quote from: cultist on June 01, 2017, 01:04:08 PM
Isn't pemmican a lot heavier than PSMs though? Weight can be an issue with caravans.

If the wiki numbers (and my math) are correct then yeah... PSMs are 18x the nutrition and over 22x the weight. I wanted to defend PSMs at first but the numbers aren't really working out for them.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Trylobyte

Quote from: OFWG on June 01, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

If the wiki numbers (and my math) are correct then yeah... PSMs are 18x the nutrition and over 22x the weight. I wanted to defend PSMs at first but the numbers aren't really working out for them.

I ran the math in another thread and pemmican is actually lighter:
1 PSM is 0.9 nutrition and 0.4kg
18 pemmican are 0.9 (0.05*18) nutrition and 0.324 (0.018*18) kg.

Still using the numbers from the wiki.

kehwar

If distance matters, wouldn't a solution be to store all your survival meals, surrounded with other meals/pemmican?

Wishmaster

You can use my mod "Smarter Food Selection".
I will soon implement a feature so pawns will avoid PSM.
Meanwhile it could still help you to do that.

cultist

Quote from: Trylobyte on June 01, 2017, 05:54:06 PM
Quote from: OFWG on June 01, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

I ran the math in another thread and pemmican is actually lighter:
1 PSM is 0.9 nutrition and 0.4kg
18 pemmican are 0.9 (0.05*18) nutrition and 0.324 (0.018*18) kg.

Still using the numbers from the wiki.

Welp, that sucks. So you're paying double the resources for an item that takes ages to cook and the only advantage is it doesn't spoil? It doesn't even count as a fine meal anymore, so what's the point...

Trylobyte

Quote from: cultist on June 01, 2017, 08:42:47 PM
Welp, that sucks. So you're paying double the resources for an item that takes ages to cook and the only advantage is it doesn't spoil? It doesn't even count as a fine meal anymore, so what's the point...
It's more or less for doomsday preppers.

Blastoderm

Doomsday reserves that got eaten on daily basis...