Anything wrong with this base?

Started by APBRainbowcar, June 02, 2017, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APBRainbowcar

I took sometime to watch people play. And i think i got some tips.
https://gyazo.com/812b715a87cc486a534e004e8c59d85b

SpaceDorf

This is not a question you should ask here :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Hans Lemurson

Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

ITypedThis

Now that wooden floors burn as well as walls, I'd really recommend you place a few firefoam poppers here and there. They're kinda pricy, but well worth the investment.

BlackSmokeDMax

Be careful building some of those walls that you have designated. Looks like a recipe for getting some one stuck in the wall near the mountain/hill.

Best method is playing it out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Watching LPs is great and I do it often, but one thing you should take from them is plenty of the LPers have no idea what they are doing, even if they sound like they do! You'll here some incorrect info, misconceptions, and straight out bad ideas.

Of course, you following any of those isn't terrible as long as you don't prevent yourself from learning a lesson. Meaning, don't think just because you copied what someone did and it went wrong that you didn't match up to what they were doing correctly. It may have just been their bad plan that was the problem!

Serenity

The freezer could do with a door directly connecting it to the farm area.

And with there being a work speed penalty for crafting in low temperature now cooking directly in the freezer isn't the best idea anymore. Though with few people you won't notice it much.

Stone traps also do much more damage than wooden traps

BetaSpectre

I don't really trust wood now a days, if you can afford stone then just replace the wood. Sometimes the wall conduit explodes, sometimes you've got a pyromaniac, sometimes incendiary mortar and half your people are downed.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Listen1

Well, there's nothing "wrong" with it... but A boomrat can end your game.

There's no problem in using wood, but you should make some stoneflooring around the base so that a wild fire will not reach it.

Other than that, it looks too clean... needs more blood and guts.

cultist

You've made a pretty common beginner mistake  - you built everything out of wood first, then expanded upon that with stone. Your outer walls are perfectly safe from fire and most attacks, but if anything penetrates your defenses you risk your entire base going up in flames if things go south.

Either build everything out of stone from the start (slow start, plan things out well) or make a very small, basic base with a few rooms out of wood that you can tear down later as you begin to build proper stone walls.

TheMeInTeam

Yeah in A16 wood flooring didn't burn so you could get away with some of those types of layouts, I'd not recommend making the entire base a fire trap post-patch though.

SpaceDorf

I do more or less the same as the OP, build from wood, then surround the thing with stone walls and doors. Then I either remove the inner walls or keep them. Wooden Floor is also still my goto. At least for living rooms.

Defense Buildings, Obstacles and everything important is made from stone.

What I don't get in the OPs Base are all those small and connected rooms with single entrances.
There are no choke-points inside, the pawns have to walk around the whole base .. to enter, or even to enter some rooms ..
you have no freedom of movement or control inside your own home.

After the first two ( or four with stone ) grenades wreck the puny entrance the whole base is a deathtrap.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

JadedApprentince

This isn't exactly what I'd call a great base. It has some major concerns that I have.
Just a side note: I always try to construct bases inside mountains because of the improved defense and cooling that comes with it, not to mention the amount of stone chunks you'll get to fuel construction.

Like many said before, wood isn't a great material to build your base out of. I only use it for temporary structures and use stone as my primary building material, using steel as a back-up. That base will probably burn down within a day (rimworld day) if not dealt with properly or quickly, so that really messes with the design.

Another thing is the layout, you have lots of redundant space, but your colonists' rooms are quite small compared to it, so you should try and focus on making your bases more compact, and THEN expanding when you need it. Also your generator and battery room is not connected to the interior of your base, never have it like that, because that will get targeted and burned, making you loose power to your base. Using wind turbines in those kinds of areas aren't great unless you place them near your crop fields since they will be most effective there where trees won't get in the way, otherwise use solar power since you have batteries anyway. Cooler placement is okay, if you were planning on using the exhaust from one cooler to heat your base, you'll have to use vents and have them connecting every room.

Like I said, make your bases more compact, you've got a giant workshop already, you should move most of your base's equipment into that room so its all easily accessible and manageable. I also recommend combining your laboratory and hospital into one room, it looks better and you'll save space and resources by combining them. Get into the habit of placing power cables into walls, it saves space, beauty, and is far more protective than having them lying on the floor.

If your going to make double layered walls, you might as well remove the wood ones and replace them with stone/steel, its just better and you won't risk fire spreading as much compared to what you have here. Your defensive positions are poorly spread out, raiders will attack from all sides, and you don't have positions around your base. Remember that kill boxes aren't really effective strategies anymore. Traps are dangerous to both raiders and colonists, I recommend not using them unless you can trust that you can use them safely.
Also your Multi-Analyzer is too far away from your research bench, they need to be nearby for it to work. 

Last, but not least: Make combined storage areas, separating items like you have set up is just a pain to manage and costs far to many resources than its worth it. You can build one large warehouse with separate stockpiles laid out, but that way you can modify the stockpiles accordingly as you gain/loose items in their respective sections.

Overall you seem to understand the systems for building, but you've gotta get used to thinking of building in ways that benefit you (and your colonists) the most and what purpose they will need to complete. Wood is more of a temporary building material, its not designed for long term anyway, so using it while you construct your main base is a good idea, but making your main base out of it isn't a great idea unless you've got nothing else to use.
Mods I've made:
Combat Extended Artillery :  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33979.0

jamaicancastle

Don't put your butcher table in the same room as your stove; the butcher table (and many other production tables) has a passive negative Cleanliness modifier; that is, the room will be dirtier, and consequently your meals are more likely to cause food poisoning, just for it being there.

Your freezer should use an airlock to help keep the cool air in. Have a short (it can be 1 or 2 tiles) hallway in front of each door with another door at the end, so that there is never a door open directly between the freezer and the outdoors or a heated area of the base.

Power conduits reduce Beauty if they're out in the open, but they don't when they're underneath walls, so I prefer to keep them hidden when possible. They're also marginally safer from hazards (especially fire) there.

As you build, keep an eye on your traffic flow and put things your pawns need where they'll be when they need them. In your case, I would put your main production where you have the north group of bedrooms, so it's right next to the general stockpile, put your freezer and adjoining kitchen where the production room is now, so it's right next to the fields, and stack all the bedrooms together in the bottom with a dining/rec room in between them. That way your commonly associated locations (bedroom -> dining room for colonists who eat when they wake up, dining room -> freezer, fields -> freezer, kitchen -> freezer, production -> stockpile) are close by, reducing the time your pawns spend moving about.

On that note, I usually prefer in non-mountain bases to have more exits, usually one per cardinal direction at least. You have to defend the other sides of your base or sapper raids will just dig through your walls anyway, and this way it's less wasted time when you go to pick up drop pods or send your people out to attack a siege. It also helps avoid things like that little room on the left (what is that room, anyway?) that, as it currently stands, requires you to go all the way around the bottom of the base to reach.

Hans Lemurson

I like to have one big "anything" stockpile set to the lowest priority, and then make specialty stockpiles as needed in different areas with normal and preferred priorities.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Sola

-Walls and floors are made of wood.  one "Zzzt!" event could destroy your complex.
-conduits are running under floors, and they should be running under stone walls, to minimize damage.
-vitals monitors not attached to any beds.
-kitchen in freezer suffers from "work speed penalty: low temperature".  It's better to have the kitchen connected to the freezer, then use an autodoor to minimize time waste during cooking.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0