What is "euthanize by cut"? Why does it require medicine?

Started by Toast, June 03, 2017, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toast

Some manhunter cows attacked my colony and were quickly dispatched, leaving two cows downed rather than dead. I wanted to end their suffering quickly rather than let them lie there bleeding out for hours, so I went to mark them for euthanizing, as I usually do, since hunting a downed animal usually just results in some moron standing there for hours blowing the poor thing's legs off one by one while it bellows in pain. Anyway, I noticed that in A17 there seem to now be 2 options to euthanize an animal: one says "euthanize by anesthetizing" or something like that--it seems like the old euthanize option, only now it requires medicine, which actually makes sense to me--and the other says "euthanize by cut." I thought "oh good, I can just have my doctor cut the cow's neck, like slaughtering, and not use any medicine."

Apparently not! Both operations require medicine. Why do you need medicine to cut an animal's neck to kill it? Am I misunderstanding what "euthanize by cut" even means? If both operations require medicine, what is the point of offering a choice between them? This was very early in a colony without a good grower, so I had no herbal medicine, and I wasn't about to spend my precious regular medicine on a future hamburger, so I ended up having to let it bleed out all over the place and it made me kind of grumpy. Can anyone explain these options to me?

mumblemumble

Frankly, I think even organ removal, and amputation should be possible without medicine, albiet with VERY different results. Organ removal would be tricky, but amputation can, and HAS historically been done without anesthesia, which is the main point of the medicine. Course organ removal would be a bad idea, with all the thrashing and possibly cutting the organ, or other organs, but why not have the possibility? :D

I do agree with OP though... But I think euthanize is supposed to be highly "humane" and Id rather have my throat cut when passed out than suffer though it like in some taliban video. Still, maybe we should have another option to do it without medicine, which is a little more horrific, but possible, like euthanize, and execute.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ReZpawner

Euthanising by cut is essentially "sedate the patient, then put them down in the most humane way", which is why it costs medicine to do so.

If you just want to kill them, click them and select hunt (they'll move close, and shoot them). Or have someone melee the downed animals to death.

Not entirely sure if there are any upsides of euthanising, or if it still counts as a kill for mood.

mumblemumble

I think currently, euthanizing holds no upside, except POSSIBLY removing the social hit to the killer (assuming there is one).
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Toast

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 03, 2017, 02:06:33 PM
Euthanising by cut is essentially "sedate the patient, then put them down in the most humane way", which is why it costs medicine to do so.

But how is this different from the other offered option of euthanizing by anesthetizing? If they both cost medicine and both end with the "patient" being dead, why offer a choice? Is there some gameplay effect that isn't readily apparent?

My impression was that anesthetizing would be the humane option (you put the animal to sleep), whereas euthanize by cut would be the quick and brutal option (you slash its throat and it dies in pain but more quickly than if you left it to bleed out from combat wounds or "hunted" it by incompetently blowing holes in it for hours), but I can't even tell how they differ.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Toast

Quote from: Tynan on June 03, 2017, 02:19:52 PM
Anesthetizing doesn't kill.

Ahhhh... ok, so it's just for if you want to immobilize an animal for some reason without killing it?

So does "euthanize by cut" imply that there is or will be some other way to euthanize?

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on June 03, 2017, 02:19:52 PM
Anesthetizing doesn't kill.

Not with that attitude it doesn't, but if you make an effort and keep anesthetising the patient until they starve to death, then it will :)

Cimanyd

Quote from: Toast on June 03, 2017, 02:26:03 PM
Ahhhh... ok, so it's just for if you want to immobilize an animal for some reason without killing it?

Remember, these options are also on humans. That's where anesthetizing could be useful, and where there's a scale of how humane killing is (mood effects).
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

RimworldOx

Oh, I wasnt aware. So how long does anesthesia last on a human?

cultist

I'm a little worried that people in this thread apparently thought anasthesia is the same as euthanasia. Please tell me none of you work in a hospital. :/

Mulahey

Quote from: cultist on June 05, 2017, 06:43:03 AM
I'm a little worried that people in this thread apparently thought anasthesia is the same as euthanasia. Please tell me none of you work in a hospital. :/

I'm a little worried that someone in this thread apparently thought anasthesia is the same as anesthesia. Please don't tell me you finished highschool. (Sorry I had to do this but you left me little choice)  ;D

TheMeInTeam

Most colonies have a proper anesthetic.  Many have thousands sitting in their stockpile.  The only reason they don't grow in trees is that they ARE trees.

Smack.