Official: Dutch

Started by Geeves, April 26, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeves

Hey folks,

In collaboration with ConfusedWings, I have set up the Project for the Dutch translation of Rimworld.

I am hoping we have the project ready for play testing closer to Alpha 4 launch.
It all depends on how much time we have got on our hands. And how much of that we are not using to play Rimworld. :)

To do:

-> Have the masses test our translation and complain about all our mistakes.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Tynan

Glad to hear it!

Are you okay with your translation being included in Alpha 4? If so, can you post it? I'll make a GitHub project you can contribute to.

More info in this thread: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2933.0

You would have to learn Git but it's really not tough to do the stuff you're doing.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Geeves

That should be possible, unless you secretly plan on pushing Alpha 4 to next week.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Geeves

Update:

Completed
-> Defs folder translations

Will create a, or accept Tynan's GitHub project, so it can be added to the internal testing version of the game.
==============

Tynan

Great! I've added it to the official translation list. I'll add you guys to the tester group so you can grab the Alpha 4 translation version.

Geeves

30-4 14:00 Updated GitHub with partial Alpha 4 translation. Halfway there.

30-4 14:45 Update - 75% complete. About 9 more maps to fill with translations.
==============

Geeves

Uploaded latest version to GitHub.

Should be Alpha 4 ready on all files but the TraitDef map.

Also, the word STUNNED, translating it I get either confused or surprised.
I currently marked it with ??? but I'd like some suggestions if possible.

Stunned to me is more like a temporary incapacitation then a act of surprise or confusion.
==============

Tynan

Quote from: Geeves on May 01, 2014, 02:05:24 PM
Stunned to me is more like a temporary incapacitation then a act of surprise or confusion.

That is the sense you want, yes.

Geeves

After a discussion with my 2 walking encyclopaedia's, also known as parents, I have settled on the word 'verlamd' which actually means
paralized if properly translated.
==============

Geeves

Known translation related issues (for the Dutch translation):

1)On the character selection/creation screen, more space is needed between the translation of Adulthood (Volwassenheid) and the details behind it.

2)In the game itself, on the Overview tab where Manual Priorities is written down, some space is lacking for the Dutch translation. The line breaker nicely put the second word on the row below, but it is now a hight issue.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
==============

pawnstorm

Nice work! I have some suggestions, not saying they're better but they might be worth considering:

- How about "overrompeld" for stunned?
- Maybe you could use "adolescentie" instead of "volwassenheid" if that fits better in the GUI. While technically not exactly the same, I think it does have a nice ring to it and fits with the background stories just as well.
- In the overview screen, I'd just leave out "prioriteiten" entirely. Just label it "Handmatig". It should be clear enough from the context that it's about priorities.

Geeves

Thanks Pawnstorm,

I am taking your suggestions for stunned(Overrompeld) and manual priorities(Handmatig) into the game.
However "adolescentie" is a phase between childhood and adulthood. It is roughly for the ages 18-25 (sometimes as young as 16).
While it would be a better fit for the games GUI, it would not completely cover the meaning for Adulthood.
==============

Bodog999

If you need some help with translating you can ask me. I'm 100% percent dutch! :D

pawnstorm

Hmm, yeah you're probably right not straying too far from the original meaning. You could always drop the "heid" in "Volwassenheid". Might not be perfect, but I think it's preferable to having overlapped text.
Glad you liked my other suggestions :).

ClubSandbox

Hehe dat is een mooi job :)
Dank u well.