"Construction failed" is getting ridiculous now

Started by Listy, June 04, 2017, 05:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

I've noticed this is off the chart now, but before when building stone walls it wasn't so bad, although a couple of failures with components was rather a massive pain in the butt. However, then this happened.

I finally managed to scrape, steal and buy enough medkits to build four medical beds. I had 48 medkits. "Construction failed" then struck. I only managed to get three beds built, and had three medkits left. So fifteen medkits evaporated. This is rather a significant amount of resources the game is just ripping out of my colony.

I wouldn't mind so much if I was using a skill 1 builder, but my builder is skill 20. This failure rate seems excessive. When you have three to four fly in messages on the screen at the same time giving the "construction failed" text, and I've had that level of Construction failed several times.

Canute

Can you check his failure chance on the info window ?

mumblemumble

Failure chance really should account for the building complexity : I figure a 7 in construction could reliably build walls, but has a pretty hefty chance of screwing up a space ship reactor.

I admit I haven't seen bigger stuff fail, but the amount of fails when making walls is very irritating, especially when im crunched for resources, and planning just within my means, with a decent builder.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Listy

Quote from: Canute on June 04, 2017, 05:46:20 AM
Can you check his failure chance on the info window ?

Yup, success chance is listed as 90%.

Sola

"Construction Failed" and quality values are the reason I always have a pawn with a burning passion in construction in my starting group, and have only a single pawn able to construct.  Turning that fail chance to 0 is imperative.

Fail-to-construct is also the reason I never finished the Extreme Desert challenge.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Listy

Quote from: Sola on June 04, 2017, 07:31:51 AM
"Construction Failed" and quality values are the reason I always have a pawn with a burning passion in construction in my starting group, and have only a single pawn able to construct.  Turning that fail chance to 0 is imperative.

Fail-to-construct is also the reason I never finished the Extreme Desert challenge.

So is mine, and he's been level 15 since about seven days in. Yet despite that:

Sola

I don't have the chart in front of me, but is it really that high?  I thought it was 0% fail chance at like.. 13 or so.

You can check by clicking the pawn and pressing their info (i) button.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

eadras

90% isn't very good for a 15 skill constructor.  Does he have health conditions affecting his manipulation or consciousness?

Listy

Quote from: eadras on June 04, 2017, 07:57:06 AM
90% isn't very good for a 15 skill constructor.  Does he have health conditions affecting his manipulation or consciousness?

He's skill 20. And the only thing wrong with him is a bust eye.

Perq

Is he fully healthy, tho? My lvl ~18 constructor turned from super-fast and fail-safe into slow and sloppy after losing his eye.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

RemingtonRyder

Limdood

Quote from: Sola on June 04, 2017, 07:31:51 AM

i just had a 20 constructor fail a solar collector...i was boggled til i checked her stats....96% construction success chance...because of a torn off middle finger.  I've got several pawns getting hands blown off, or even arms, so i've no bionic arms to spare (i even have 2 doctors making do with power claws, just cuz its a giant improvement from a completely missing hand)

Listy

Quote from: Perq on June 04, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
Is he fully healthy, tho? My lvl ~18 constructor turned from super-fast and fail-safe into slow and sloppy after losing his eye.

As someone who has very little vision in one eye (Can just about read the letter on the top row of an eye chart), and an eye hand coordination problem, anyone want to explain to me how come I can build small, fine detail, models with out failing 1/5 times or so it seems?

Also I must have had constructors take damage before, how come I've never noticed it before?

Also it seems to be catching! Here's the results from constructing a brick wall:
http://i.imgur.com/Usmb1wI.jpg

So we have someone rated as "Practitioner" and someone rated as "Godlike", building a straight brick wall. One is missing his middle finger, the other has an eye patch, and we get that result.

The brick wall was 17 tiles long.
Stone has a 90% success chance.
Geradon has a 93% success chance.

erdrik

I don't look at what body part is missing /is damaged unless Im looking to replace those parts.
I look at the left side where it lists what bodily actions are affected and how badly they are affected.
According to the wiki, Consciousness, Manipulation, and Sight are the primary contributors to any colonist's ability to both work and fight.

EDIT:
looking at the image in this post:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33267.msg339081#msg339081

Im a bit curious about the straight edges of that water(at least it looks like water?)...
Do you have mods installed?

Seriously Unserious

I've been noticing the RNGs can be very unfair at times in this game. I've had attempts to tame/train animals fail 10-15 times in a row on a 20% chance of success.

I've also noticed that the "construction failed" message does come up a lot more frequently then it did in A16, when I first started playing.