Bayonets

Started by Boston, June 04, 2017, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

Bayonets seem like an awfully good idea on a rimworld, where charging wild animals and tribals seem all-too-eager to get up close and personal.

Fregrant

Maybe, but only few rifles will benefit. We cannot just ducttape a blade to any shotgun, pistol, snipe, and so on. For now Im using Sidearms mod, looks pretty good.

Boston

Only two rifles, really, the Assault Rifle and the Survival Rifle

Fregrant

But it would need some coding for only few rifles. So they will have different accuracy, damage, and cooldown in touch range. Well, accuracy is easy, damage could be same, but different cooldown... Would need coding or xml restructurization.

Draconicrose

Why not have a separate weapon? With its stats adjusted to balance out the fact that it can also be a melee weapon.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

Boston

Quote from: Draconicrose on June 04, 2017, 03:02:25 PM
Why not have a separate weapon? With its stats adjusted to balance out the fact that it can also be a melee weapon.

I don't understand what this means. A bayonet is just a stabby-thing attached under the barrel of a rifle. When it isn't attached, it is just a knife.

It doesn't "need" balancing. When you fire the rifle the bayonet is attached to, it acts like a regular firearm. When you use the bayonet, it acts as a steel or plassteel spear.

Problem solved.

Limdood

isn't this just the "let my pawn carry a melee AND a ranged weapon" argument again? which has been argued on both sides a bajillion times already, and is most certainly already being, or has been considered by the devs.  If it's going to be added, it already will be (just like every other million-times suggestion), and if it won't be added, then it won't...with no help from duplicate suggestion threads.

O Negative

It doesn't take much coding at all, actually.

Vanilla weapons can have melee verbs added onto them (after the shoot verb), and pawns will automatically enter melee combat with the weapons they have in their hand. I've done it with my brute shot in my Halo weapons mod. It's super simple.

It's not the same as having two weapons, because shooty weapons can be used as blunt weapons in most instances. But, they're not optimized for melee combat. It's just not as bad as only having your fists :P

Here, I've attached a simple mod that adds a melee verb to the pila. It's not balanced or anything, but is good enough for demonstration.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

doctercorgi

Quote from: Fregrant on June 04, 2017, 02:14:42 PM
Maybe, but only few rifles will benefit. We cannot just ducttape a blade to any shotgun, pistol, snipe, and so on. For now Im using Sidearms mod, looks pretty good.

You understatement my power! (of duct tape)