[1.0] TropiCKAPP Rainforest Mod

Started by kaptain_kavern, June 04, 2017, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

This mod alter both tropical biomes : it add a significant amount of new animals and plants to the game and increase fauna and flora diversity.
* Prisoner Tynan and Modder Colonists not included

Description

The new tropical biomes are challenging biomes with deadly diseases, strong animals, intense rainstorms and a thick jungle canopy that makes movement and expansion a challenge.

Added Animals :

Jaguar, Panda Bear, Tiger, White Tiger, Tapir, Junglefowl, Peafowl, Okapi, Snow Leopard, Arctic Hare

Added Plants :

Ferns, Palm Tree, Mahogany Tree, Strangler Fig, Bromeliad, Wild Rice, Bamboo, Taro, Stump Tree, Banana, Lemongrass, Coconut Palm, DreamVine, Heliconia, Jitter-Weed, Wild Smokeleaf, Wild Psychoid, Wild Cotton, Rafflesia, Hive in a tree

Added Consumables :

Taro Root, Coconuts, Bananas, Jitter Berries (drug), Lemongrass, Dream Root (drug and can be used to craft Neutroamine), Honeycomb

Some tips for surviving in tropical environment:

• Clear out plants for pathing. The dense jungle will considerably slow down pawns.
  • Wood is abundant, but trees take a long time to chop down. Prioritize time and resources and focus on smaller trees and plants when clearing large areas.
  • Foraging is a viable food option. Look out for rice, bananas, coconuts and lemongrass.
  • While rare, jitter berries, smokeleaf, psycoid, healroot and cotton can also be foraged.
  • The rain forest provides a lot of cover. Clear out areas to hit enemies, or use the cover to your advantage.
  • Some animals in the rain forest do a lot of damage and are very fast. Choose fights wisely and try to avoid being ambushed.
  • The rain forest rains a lot, so consider this when deciding on power and building options.
  • Remove rafflesias from your area as these drastically reduce beauty.
  • You can stop plant movement sway in the vanilla options menu.

All new arts were done by Coercion

kaptain_kavern

Same spot on the, same seed. With and without the mod

kaptain_kavern

kaptain_kavern

PureReject

Looks like a great mod to liven up the jungle. Will be using it on my next colony

br1zz

wow this looks awesome, a dense jungle is a great addition to the biomes !

Dryerlint

kcirdor

This mod is awesome.  I did encounter the Harvest problem again, after a good 5 hours into a game. But I just deleted my grow zones, kept one for heal root, and decided to live off the meat provided by the jungle cats constantly hunting wild life.  Every day I use the Allow tool mod to allow all, and I get a good 5 to 11 dead animals to butcher. 

Just keep in mind the cats will attack you so you need to bring your animals along for back up.  Not bad when you tame a few cats either.  I currently have a stable with a White tiger, a Panther, a Jaguar to go with my Elephant and Panda. That's not even including the cattle and huskies that joined.  They all live off the land, except the huskies.

This biome is difficult to traverse, so I suggest settling on a road. I also suggest building your own road to get to the other side of the map.  A wooden road is best, because as you clear out trees, you just have 1000's of materials already close by to place down before the ground is quickly reseeded.

I am not sure what is causing the Harvest bug.  Seems when there are more than one grow zone it happens sometimes.  But I am not sure.  Of course I like that the little picture has me harvesting in the OP.

tip for everyone... you can make plenty of money selling the wood. Just collect it before it deteriorates, cause it rains pretty steady and most things deteriorate within a few days.

Hydromancerx

So will this mod focus just on the jungle now? Or will it try to expand to other areas like the original animal and plant mod was planning?

christianmc1101

Mein Lieblingswort: My favorite word:
Bundespräsidentenstichwahlwiederholungsverschiebung

Moonsong

Tapir is tougher than a warg? Quite a surprise. How will it work with Vegetable Garden mod? Also for some reason Hospitality-enhanced visitors got exausted and entered into the loop of leaving attempts making it pretty much unplayable. I'm not sure if this mod is the reason though.

Dryerlint

I have encountered some clearing problems where as soon as I clear a tiles a new plant will grow up in its place.

kcirdor

Quote from: Dryerlint on June 05, 2017, 05:28:53 PM
I have encountered some clearing problems where as soon as I clear a tiles a new plant will grow up in its place.

That is exactly what I am referring too in placing wood down for paths because the reseeding is almost instantaneous. That isn't a "problem" but a feature of the mod.  Its supposed to be extremely difficult to clear the rain forest.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: kcirdor on June 05, 2017, 02:22:40 AM
I did encounter the Harvest problem again, after a good 5 hours into a game.
[...]
I am not sure what is causing the Harvest bug.  Seems when there are more than one grow zone it happens sometimes.  But I am not sure.

I made a "silent" update at the very last time, just a couple hours after the release (I was thinking nobody already downloaded it, sorry). This update erased files that were "duplicate", concerning "wild" version of vanilla plants. And I suspect the "harvest bug" was related to that. If you can do a complete/clean update (erase the whole mod folder before re-installing the last up-to-date one) I'm pretty sure it will be gone (but I'm also pretty sure it will bug with an existing colony :( really sorry)

Quote from: Hydromancerx on June 05, 2017, 02:50:34 AM
So will this mod focus just on the jungle now? Or will it try to expand to other areas like the original animal and plant mod was planning?
Yes indeed. From now on the mod is only focused on this biome. Mostly because the artist is gone for now, so I can't add more art myself. I made a post with a bit more explanation

It also mean that I will be able to put my time and effort in other projects (I just reached the Animal Collab team and i'm actually helping them to polish the last bit of the mod - most of the work was already done before I jump in)

Quote from: Moonsong on June 05, 2017, 03:53:32 AM
Tapir is tougher than a warg? Quite a surprise. How will it work with Vegetable Garden mod? Also for some reason Hospitality-enhanced visitors got exausted and entered into the loop of leaving attempts making it pretty much unplayable. I'm not sure if this mod is the reason though.
This bug doesn't seem related to anything the mod involved, indeed. But we keep in touch (here is a good place), in case it happened again, I will look into it (if you can keep trace of the precise error msg or even better the log file)
Regarding animal stats, I already have a note in my to-do list for look up and balancing all animals (and even plants *sigh*). In fact I have just done a quick update for the A17 and the whole thing needs more balancing, IMHO.

And after all of that (understand it's planned for tomorrow), I'll look into making the compatible with VG (but without stripping this mod of everything for those who doesn't play with it)

Quote from: Dryerlint on June 05, 2017, 05:28:53 PM
Like kcirdor said, it is indeed the way we originally want the mod to be. The jungle is supposed to be quite "aggressive". But I will look into balancing that a bit as the mod was originally balanced for A15 and A17 have changed the skill impact on plantworks.

A feature that I will try to implement ASAP is some special flooring, with low or no cost and low work amount; in order to clear the vegetation out.

On a side note, I used to put a row of flower all around places I want the vegetation out. Not ideal but it can help, provided enough

Thank you all for your kind words and/or feedbacks.

cuproPanda

Looks good! The jungles look like an actual forest now :)
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!