[1.0] TropiCKAPP Rainforest Mod

Started by kaptain_kavern, June 04, 2017, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

effervescent

I'm not the person who first reported the Hospitality issue, but I'm also having that bug, so here is my dump log: https://pastebin.com/0QKRBX8E

kaptain_kavern

Thank you. This will help in theory. I also will download it for test.

I heard it causes bug with other mod as well but I haven't look into it myself. Now I will :-D

Argh, effervescent do you still have the complete log please? I need to see all informations, especially at the game start lile modlist and order , and things like that.

Because for now, all errors your send me aren't from this mod at all

Plasmatic

This looks very interesting, I'll def give this a go on my next colony, I like that I HAVE to build floors or I get run over by vegetation :)

effervescent

2Ton21

My feedback having played this mod.

Too many super thick tree clusters make beginnings quite the slog, Trees like mahogany are way to abundant and take forever to cut down, This would be fine if they where more sparse instead of one being practically every 2-5th tile or closer.

The biggest issue I have is the spawn rate of the dam trees, the small plants I could get but having a new full 300 health tree pop up where I just cut down a tree makes no sense and with the increase in cut down time means I practically lose the whole day getting rid of it AGAIN. The trees need more growth stages with separate cut down times. It should take more time for a cleared section to recover then from being Cut planted down. I cant even cut paths it grows back so quick, I waste time sending pawns to cut a section for my builder to build walls and rooms in when the dam trees and plants are back within the dam hour it seems, ugh its silly. If this was Indiana Jones vines would be growing back right behind the ones he was cutting as he moved forward. Really ruins it but overdoing it. Cant even feel like I am making a dent. Maybe add a dam chainsaw?

I pray for alpha beavers. But I don't even believe they could make a dent. They would probably give up and go home.

It looks really nice though and other parts feel really good, I wish the there was more variance in the plant sprites and more shades of green and other colors used for vegetation, seems to all blend together right now into a noisy mess of the same shade of green. Also the trees seem to be so big they hide my stuff.

Also some of the big trees should provide far far more cover during firefights.

I don't know how to change the tree spawn rate myself, but i did figure out where to change the time it takes to cut down a tree, so ill probably end up just self editing and halfing the current values on all trees.
I can take down stone walls and mine metal faster then I can cut down allot of these trees, and the Rock does not grow back.

I do like the mod though.

kaptain_kavern

Thank you so much for the precise and detailed feedback.

I do taking notes and I will do better in the next release :D

It's definitely needing way more balance.
I do want the plants and trees to be a challenge but not to the point where it become ridiculous. It's kinda hard to achieve balance.  I wasn't 100% happy with balancing in A15 but it was better than now IMHO. And the changes with plant cutting in A17 haven't help either. But hey it's why we shouldn't mod an early access game ^^

So i'm back to :  playing, taking notes, balancing stats a bit, rinse and repeat

Again thx for sharing your thoughts

If you are into editing : Look in plant def, <growDays> is pretty self explanatory and <reproduceMtbDays> is the time they spawn "sapling" by day (not 100% sure)

kcirdor

Quote from: 2Ton21 on June 07, 2017, 05:54:20 AM
My feedback having played this mod.

The biggest issue I have is the spawn rate of the dam trees, the small plants I could get but having a new full 300 health tree pop up where I just cut down a tree makes no sense and with the increase in cut down time means I practically lose the whole day getting rid of it AGAIN. The trees need more growth stages with separate cut down times. It should take more time for a cleared section to recover then from being Cut planted down. I cant even cut paths it grows back so quick, I waste time sending pawns to cut a section for my builder to build walls and rooms in when the dam trees and plants are back within the dam hour it seems, ugh its silly. If this was Indiana Jones vines would be growing back right behind the ones he was cutting as he moved forward. Really ruins it but overdoing it. Cant even feel like I am making a dent. Maybe add a dam chainsaw?

For pathing set it to build wooden floors and you have wood immediately next to you as you clear. Place walls on top of wood pathing, bam no worries about reseeding.   OR , place wood walls, and use the mod JT replace walls to put down stone walls in place of the wood. You are welcome.  Source: Over a couple hundred hours with this mod.

khearn

I started playing a "rich explorer" game  in a tropical rainforest with this mod, and it certainly makes things harder. I've finally got a freezer and kitchen/bedroom set up after 10 days. It didn't help to get an escape pod when I only had one room set up, and I made the mistake of capturing the survivor, leaving my colonist with noplace to sleep. Then a couple of raids came in, and the pod survivor escaped during one of them.

Raids that would be easy to deal with normally (charge rifle vs. clubs) are much harder because of the heavy cover. You just can't shoot them down before they close to melee range.

All movement is really slowed down by the vegetation. Slogging through the jungle to collect the starting steel/wood took a while. Setting up a network of paths made of wood floors helps a lot, and is worth the time investment. At least now movement between fields, buildings, and mining area is easy.

I got stuck with a Yorkie as my starting pet, which is a bit of a liability. :-P I've confined it to stay indoors at all times, for fear of the multiple large cats roaming the area. Can't afford the mood hit if it gets eaten. Only having one pawn, I'm pretty hesitant to try and kill the predators. Heck, I was afraid to kill off the panda that was raiding my survival meals before I got my freezer completely walled up.

The various trees are kind of hard to tell apart. I noticed my pawn cutting down coconut palms a couple of times while building walls/paths, when I hadn't noticed they were there. It would be nice to be able to spot them a little easier for harvesting purposes. But maybe I'll get better at spotting the various plants as I get more experience with this mod.

So far this mod seems pretty good. Thanks for making it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.

FifthRom

Hi! Thanks for the awesome mod. I have downloaded it yesterday and had quite some fun. However, I have encountered the problem where my growers do not harvest anything, but just stand there. You have written that you made an update to fix that problem, but it does not look to be gone. I do use other mods, so...can't say whether it has to do something with that or not. Just a heads up.

BlueWinds

I've seen a couple people reporting the issue, but here's an error log for the harvest zone bug: https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/f3397b3f5f8e85b70ecc4201252cda62

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the bug in a simpler setup. If I start a fresh colony using the same mods and immediately set up two growers zones, they work as expected - makes it rather hard to track down if it's mod incompatibility somehow. But I hope the log will at least be a little helpful. :)

Edit: The same thing occurs if I clone the master branch, rather than use your download link from the first post (the release is 7 commits behind master).

Edit2: Oh, and of course someone else has already tracked down the cause. https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/6fiiqn/a17_tropical_rainforest_mod/dio25cc/

kcirdor

Thank god they figured out it.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out the cause and I didn't want to keep bringing it up if I was the only one experiencing the problem.

Pheanox

I also have had issues with Hospitality, might just have to not play with Hospitality while using this Biome.  The problem occurs because the map is so dense and hard to move through, which is a feature of the mod.  Visitor AI is notoriously bad about pathfinding and walking in to raids or through carnivorous animals, etc.  Always been a problem with visitors in general and the Hospitality mod, you get blamed for their stupid AI and inability to properly defend themselves from the hazards on your map.

Why people notice it so much with this mod is because it takes so long for visitors to leave, so a loop will start up about visitors leaving over and over, and it takes forever for them to leave, and it spams your log until the game chugs down to about 5 fps.  I honestly don't know if there is anything kaptain_kavern can do to mitigate it.

Ashardalon411

but you can do something ! you can make relatively safe roads of stone or wood from the middle and the corners of the map who pass in the range zone of your turrets (raids, captain obvious). For more safety you can make intermediary roads who joins corners and the middle for drain the flux of the visitors.

Canute

Be happy thats just tropical forest and not tiberium.
Once i played that the whole map beside my base area was covered with tiberium. Visitors and caravans arrived my base, but barley made it off the map again since the tiberium infection killed them before.

Some roads should be your first priority after you build your basic needs. This is the difficult of this biome.

kaptain_kavern

Thank you all for your patience and for helping each other out.

The "harvest" bug will be fixed today (I will make a quick update). Thanks to some pretty precise bug reports and some help from other modders. 

This bug is only concerning fully-grown "Strangler Figs" and "Mahagonny trees", and only if they are in a growing zone. To solve the problem you can just designate the concerned tree to be cut down and force a pawn to do it. (If it's a direct order then no bugs)

For today I will only add that bug correction/fix (will be done in a couple of hours)