Larger difference in damage types - health change

Started by mumblemumble, June 05, 2017, 06:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Currently the damage types are almost entirely similar : cuts, bullet holes, burns, bruises.

The only real difference I've noticed is rate of bleeding for certain things, possibly infections : but blunt weapons for instance, rip things off very easily : even fists. A punch in the finger can rip off a finger on a bad day, when in reality, it would break out of the socket, and be unusable, but not ruined.

I wonder if a larger difference could be made, simulating perhaps chance to penetrate deeper tissue and rip things entirely off, based on damage and damage type, and different effects on different body parts depending on type. Like I think a knife to the gut would be more effective than a club, while a club would be more effective than a knife : sharp vs soft tissue, blunt vs bones, all that jazz. This could diversify issues I think, with broken bones, mishealed bones, neurological damage from cuts, sort of diversifying the effects of "scars".

The health system is certainly complex, but the differences between cuts, bullet holes, burns, laser blasts, and bruises, is only the bleeding rate and title as far as I can see, as well as internal organ damage risk, for blunt weapons, since blunt weapons do not penetrate skin : but I feel it could be revamped some.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Perq

To be honest blunt weapons are one of the scariest weapon types when it comes to internal injuries. :V At least in reality.
Internal trauma is no joke.

But yes, there are some changes that are needed. For starters I'd say too many fingers/eyes/noses/ears fly off... .-.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

O Negative

I like your idea about sharp weapons having a higher chance to damage "soft" parts, and giving blunt weapons a higher chance to damage "solid" parts. Adding the bones of the hands and feet (oh god so many bones) could help prevent that weird situation of "Oh, my finger just got punched off." Broken fingers and toes would be a lot more believable and immersive. A stat for penetration would be nice, also. Would help differentiate bullets and other launched projectiles from stabby weapons.

Swat_Raptor

I agree with your points

also its kinda strange that organs and Ribs are either in perfect health or are utterly destroyed.  (there is  the chance of cancer and a bad heart but that's is totally unrelated to combat as far as I know)

having things like partially damaged organs or bones I would definitely find much more palatable than you take a bad hit it and now its completely gone.

The Current system for a fairly simple dmg system it works pretty well and introducing new types of dmg would certainly be more difficult to balance, thou I think it could be done and result in a much deeper game play.

Slimy_Slider

Maybe it would be possible to add some kind of dangerous internal bleeding system, where if someone takes an injury to an organ they are given limited time for a doctor to either patch it up, with a risk of further injuries causing bigger problems in the future (i.e. stitched up liver has burst after being punched in the stomach and now requires surgery), or remove said organ completely.