A17b Option to name colony/faction does not appear

Started by yannisk, June 06, 2017, 10:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yannisk

I just realised this after three seasons in-game time. Started a new game, but still didn't come up

Thraxon

yannisk

Nope. It usually comes with first visitors (immediately after they leave). Playing on Phoebe Rough. The problem appeared with the new release (A17b)

Calahan

Can you please post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found in the following thread. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

Also, can you please confirm whether or not you are using any mods. As there are some reports about issues like this in the mods bugs forum right now, so if you are using mods, it's likely you have the same issue.

stretch611

I have the same issue. I never was given an option to rename the colony. Is there a way I can manually change it?

I started a new game with the latest a17 release. No mods currently in use. I have attached my log file.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

yannisk

Nope. No Mods. I am also getting friendlies coming to help me for no reason (I'm not being raided).

BTW, I am playing with a save file from A17a.

Honestade

Hi all, I had exactly this problem and I seem to have solved it. For some reason, the upgrade from A16 -> A17 left some artefact mod files in my AppData folder (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios). Even though I'd unsubscribed to all the mods through steam after the update, deleting these files and reinstalling the game (not sure if latter was necessary) seems to have put everything back to normal (just got colony name prompt for the first time since A16). This has never happened to me before (since A13 or 14, I forget) - maybe it's linked to the folder name changing from "RimWorld" to "RimWorld by Ludeon Studios", which somehow means the mod files aren't being properly cleaned up.

EDIT: The mod files were from Prepare Carefully and HugsLib, and happy to give more information if that's helpful

EDIT 2: Well, scratch all that. It worked once in a test game I ran for a few in-game days, but the problems have come back (and I haven't touched any mods!). My log file is attached, and I've uploaded a couple of saves to Dropbox:

Almost a season in and no prompt for colony name: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8c9zx7tvqn2dny/La%20Minita%20%28Permadeath%29.rws?dl=0

Just started and some friendlies have arrived: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8c9zx7tvqn2dny/La%20Minita%20%28Permadeath%29.rws?dl=0

Really happy to help if I can give any more info - I figure I owe you guys, RimWorld has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment already...

bubblequinn

Made an account to check in with the same issue.

Last 3 games in A17b never got named. Varying amounts of elapsed time. I attached my most recent log.

I'm using a handful of mods. HugsLib, Hand me that brick, efficient lights, expanded prosthesis, and prepare carefully.

ReZpawner

Started a new game in A17b, can confirm that this is a bug. (as always, no mods at all.)
The event CAN be forced through dev-mode, it's just that the event itself is never fired.

Calahan

Thanks everyone for all the posts, info and log files on this one. I've been playing around with this over the past hour or so and I have encountered this issue (re: no option to name colony), but I'm having a hell of a job trying to reliably reproduce it. So if anyone knows how to 100% reliably reproduce it then please do tell.

As far as I can work out it only happens from a new game start and if you play the game past the point when the naming event fires, which should happen on the 6th hour of Day 4. So if the event doesn't fire, and you save and load the game after this point, you won't ever get a chance to name the colony (or at least that's what I was getting). Whereas if you save and load the game before this point then the naming event fires as expected, and I couldn't get it to NOT fire from loading a save game created before 6h Day 4. As I said, for me I could only get this bug to occur sporadically from new game starts.

Although one thing that did happen on each of the three occasions I encountered the naming event not firing is that I got the following log error almost immediately after I tasked the Pawns with building something. (one such log attached)

Invalid count: 0, setting to 1. Job was HaulToContainer A=Thing_WoodLog56264 B=Thing_Door_Blueprint56238 C=Thing_Door_Blueprint56238

Not sure why this error causes the naming event not to fire but I had it on all three occasions during my testing. And I could only get this error from a new game start, and if I saved and loaded the game the moment the colony screen appeared I could not get this log error to occur at all.

I've looked through all the log files posted so far and I can not see this error in any of them*. So can those who post log files from here on, or have posted them so far, please confirm if the log was generated from the start of a new game or not. As if the log came from a loaded save then as I said above I don't think it would have caught the log error I encountered / mentioned.

Edit - FYI, all testing was done with DRM-free version. This shouldn't make a difference (compared to Steam version), but mentioning it for completeness (and in the off chance it is a factor).

* There are errors in the log posted by yannisk, but that was a A17a game loaded in A17b, so can't rule that out of being the cause of those errors.

tl;dr - There appears to be an intermittent bug in A17b that occurs shortly after the start of a new game that might (or might not) be preventing the naming event firing. A possible workaround for now is to save and reload immediately when you start a new game, as the naming event always fired when I tested this (although this obviously needs more than the ~15 tests I ran to know if it's a 100% guaranteed workaround).

If anyone starts a new game and the naming event doesn't fire on the 6th hour of Day 4, then please exit the game and post the log file generated from that playing session. As such a log file would be very helpful in checking whether or not the log error mentioned above plays a part in this or not.

yannisk

Well, as I said in my second post, I am (was) playing with a A17a save (I liked the starting location and the stats of the three colonists, so I kept it), but loaded in A17b.

Don't ask for the A17a file. I loaded it, saved it as A17b, exited the game, then loaded it again to see if the event will fire, but with no luck.

Honestade

Quote from: Calahan on June 07, 2017, 06:39:13 AM
If anyone starts a new game and the naming event doesn't fire on the 6th hour of Day 4, then please exit the game and post the log file generated from that playing session. As such a log file would be very helpful in checking whether or not the log error mentioned above plays a part in this or not.
Hi Calahan, thanks for the update on this, and the possible workaround! The attached log file is from one single play session where I started the game, started a new game, and let it run to "6 days passed since arrival" - no naming event fired. The save file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/400ztk7cge7xyh8/bug-report-save.rws?dl=0 if that's also helpful.

Calahan

@ Honestade - Thanks for the log and save file. Although your log appears to casts doubt on my theory of that log error I mentioned causing the naming event not to fire, as your log file doesn't have that error, or any errors at all as it's clean. (my theory was only based on three samples, but it was 3 for 3 so... Oh well. Theories come and theories go.)

Hope my workaround is still holding up okay, as if this bug only affects the naming event not firing, and if (IF) we have a workaround for it,  then that shouldn't be game ending (as long as it is only the naming event being affected, which hasn't actually been determined yet).

Hopefully one of the devs will come along soon and give some clarification as to whether this is a trivial bug that's just causing one event firing to fail, or something that's having a wider impact (assuming the bug can be located based on the info, logs and saves that have been posted so far).

bubblequinn

It seems to me that map events (convoy requests, bandit camps, etc) were not occurring in games where I have the name event not trigger. Has anyone else noted the same thing? This is why the missing colony name actually started bothering me.

I'll poke around some more tonight and see what I can find. I'll also test the save game workaround.

EDIT:

Saving and reloading on a new game seems to have fixed the problem for me.

stretch611

Quote from: bubblequinn on June 07, 2017, 06:48:17 PM
It seems to me that map events (convoy requests, bandit camps, etc) were not occurring in games where I have the name event not trigger. Has anyone else noted the same thing? This is why the missing colony name actually started bothering me.

I'll poke around some more tonight and see what I can find. I'll also test the save game workaround.

I have not had this problem at all. I was getting these requests even without my colony being named.