We need a stickied "cool world seed" exchange thread!

Started by Bozobub, June 07, 2017, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a world seed-sharing sticky thread/subforum?

Yes, a sticky
Yes, a subforum
Nah
I like turtles

Bozobub

Especially for people seeking unusual/extreme conditions (very cold, hot, dry, wet, etc.), a sticky thread for exchanging world seeds would be, imo, seriously cool and very useful.  Even if not looking for "extreme" maps, though, this can still be very interesting and quite handy.

There's already threads along these lines quite often but they're buried rather quickly in the daily torrent of posts.  For example:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33383.0 or
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6434

Any chance of this happening?  I couldn't find any other references to a similar question in a quick search (try searching for "world seeds" sometime; oy vey ::)).  Sure, some seeds will probably get too old to work properly (A15 and previously, for example) so people should post what version the seed is for but a lot of folks also still play older versions.  I still play an A15 colony, for example, and I've seen a few posters who still run A14.
Thanks, belgord!

Sniper Pilot

On that note we need to be able to randomize the temperature and moisture settings. 

Morak

I think a a separate section or child board would be a better idea. That way there could be multiple threads separated by game version and subject.

Examples: [A16] Ice Shelf Seeds
              [A17] Ancient Road seeds

Sixdd

Personally I always use "test" for a long play-through. Lots of varied terrain.

Bozobub

And that's exactly what could go in an appropriate sticky.  Or subforum, whatever is most appropriate, although I don't know if there's THAT much interest.  Sticky-ing a thread is significantly less of a pain in the ass for forum staff, as well ;).

And no, I don't mean THIS thread, particularly.  But I still think it would be nice to gather up the various seed-sharing posts in one place.

I'm curious, btw:  IS seed behavior that different now?  I assume so but I'm still curious.  Does anyone have any insight on how the seed is processed..?
Thanks, belgord!

AngleWyrm

A good test of seed behavior would be if we all generated a world with a specific set of start conditions {seed, temperature, rainfall, world%}, and then did a screen cap to see if there's any significant variance, perhaps from mod loadout.

Since the seed test has been suggested, I'd like to fill that out with settings for the remaining three variables: temperature=1 tick colder, rainfall=normal, world%=50%.

seed
test
temperature
1 tick colder
rainfall
normal
world percent
50%

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Bozobub

A Reddit subforum is NOT what I'm talking about ^^' .
Thanks, belgord!

AngleWyrm

Content driven structure
Structure is part of the content.

Consider the scenario of a developer who wishes to pre-arrange a folder heirarchy with places for all his soon-to-be stuff. They become enchanted with order and organization, and off they go to spend their days planning. Then usually when some content comes along during software development, the folder tree turns out to be not a good fit for the developing software project. Empty folders clutter the place and some folders are stuffed with large collections.

A better policy is to work on content first. When a folder accumulates enough items that it is burdensome to search through, subdivide that folder into two (or more) sub-folders. The folder tree then fills out and grows with the content and there is no disparity resulting from projecting plans beyond the foreseeable horizon.

Bozobub

Quote from: AngleWyrm on June 08, 2017, 10:09:08 AM
Content driven structure
Structure is part of the content.

Consider the scenario of a developer who wishes to pre-arrange a folder heirarchy with places for all his soon-to-be stuff. They become enchanted with order and organization, and off they go to spend their days planning. Then usually when some content comes along during software development, the folder tree turns out to be not a good fit for the developing software project. Empty folders clutter the place and some folders are stuffed with large collections.

A better policy is to work on content first. When a folder accumulates enough items that it is burdensome to search through, subdivide that folder into two (or more) sub-folders. The folder tree then fills out and grows with the content and there is no disparity resulting from projecting plans beyond the foreseeable horizon.
Cool story bro.  Wanna tell us how it's cogent here?

If you mean we should NOT have a world seed-trading thread, that's fine; simply say so and back up your opinion in your own words.  If not, then what are you on about, exactly?
Thanks, belgord!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Bozobub on June 08, 2017, 10:33:28 AM
Cool story bro.  Wanna tell us how it's cogent here? If you mean we should NOT have a world seed-trading thread, that's fine; simply say so and back up your opinion in your own words.  If not, then what are you on about, exactly?

TLDR: There is a lack of anyone posting seeds in this thread, and an abundance of people talking about a thread to post seeds in.

Supply side economics, trying to meet a non-existent need.

Bozobub

Search for "world seed" (5 pages of results) and "seed" (25 pages of results) on the forum.  It comes up very often and usually involves world-generation seeds; your assertion is badly flawed.

Nor do I expect THIS thread, as I already stated, to become the stickied thread, yet I'll note that I already see a detailed exploration of one seed ("test", by YOU) ::).  This thread is exactly for discussing the creation of such a thread and finding out if there's any interest in doing so.  Once again, what are you on about, exactly?

It seems quite probable that you didn't really read this thread as well as you may have originally thought.
Thanks, belgord!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Bozobub on June 08, 2017, 10:57:02 AM
Search for "world seed" (5 pages of results) and "seed" (25 pages of results) on the forum.
Nor do I expect THIS thread, as I already stated, to become the stickied thread

The motivation of the supplicant can be tested like so:
Consolidate all those search results into a single post of links so that it forms a home.
  • If that task is completed, then the proposed home for seeds will have been created by the person wanting it
  • If that task seems too labor intensive, it's a good indication that any such thread will be just another addition to the search results

SpaceDorf

BULLSHIT !!! ..

sorry .. got five in a row ..

@Anglewyrm I have to disagree strongly with you.
Your basic reasoning is wrong.

If this thread gets used to talk about the possibilities of how to present a list of world seeds for Rimworld, then it is doing it's job.

Actually your example of a folder structure applies pretty well to the problem.
The wish for dividing World seeds in a specialized folder was formulated by a player, because threads with seeds in the discussion forum are hard to find, especially for the right version.

Creating a new folder or thread would satisfy the need. This here thread was created to gather a group of likeminded people to actually find out if the need for a World-Seed-Collection was shared.
It was in no way, as you suggested a thread saying "Yo Guys Post Seeds here, lets see if we get stickied. "
nor is it, as others tried a worldgen - suggestion thread.

The point where I agree with you is, that the creator of the thread should try to contact the Moderators of this Forum or the Game Developer himself to see if they are willing to give this idea a try.

@Bozobub I like the Idea of a Sub-Forum where Seeds, Worlds and Map Locations can be discussed and traded.
Still you have to be aware of the one thing AngleWyrm said in the beginning.
Seeds can behave differently with different modlists, because some mods or changes are linked to World- and/or Local Map Generation.

So change the thread Name into a question, start a poll and start talking to the people who could make this happen :-D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Bozobub

Quote from: SpaceDorf on June 08, 2017, 02:37:37 PMThe point where I agree with you is, that the creator of the thread should try to contact the Moderators of this Forum or the Game Developer himself to see if they are willing to give this idea a try.
I'm aware, thus this thread.  Both player and staff opinions matter, and the staff reads the forums.

Quote@Bozobub I like the Idea of a Sub-Forum where Seeds, Worlds and Map Locations can be discussed and traded.
Still you have to be aware of the one thing AngleWyrm said in the beginning.
Seeds can behave differently with different modlists, because some mods or changes are linked to World- and/or Local Map Generation.

So change the thread Name into a question, start a poll and start talking to the people who could make this happen :-D
I'm also aware several factors can affect seeds.  That doesn't really say much against the idea of sharing said seeds.  Whether as a subforum or a simple sticky, the actual form of it matters little to me.  There seems to be some confusion here, however, re: how difficult it is to "sticky" a thread; it's not, and is done via a simple toggle in every forum software I've ever seen.  That's NOT the case for setting up an entire subforum!

I'm not even remotely interested in a poll.  If the staff thinks it's a good idea, they'll do it.  If they don't, they won't.  There was no poll for sticky-ing the user art thread, as an easy example.

If anyone has a direct opinion/reason why/why not such a thread is a good or bad idea, great, I want to hear it!  The staff, however, does NOT need gatekeepers to help them do their job ::).

@AngleWyrm:  Not even close to a good try.  Once again, I NEVER said or implied this thread should be the place to collect seeds, and yes, large numbers of the threads in question exist.  If you CBA to search the forums to verify this, I CBA to list the threads for you.  From where does your apparent anxiety over the matter come from..?

I'm not trying to present a Masters' thesis here and I certainly am far too lazy to act as if I am.  FFS, people...
Thanks, belgord!