We need a stickied "cool world seed" exchange thread!

Started by Bozobub, June 07, 2017, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a world seed-sharing sticky thread/subforum?

Yes, a sticky
Yes, a subforum
Nah
I like turtles

Bozobub

Nope.  That's simply a claim you're making, based off your own assumptions and insistence.  What makes you think your requirements mean anything at all to me, hm?  Once again, *you* are not a gatekeeper to anything but your own worldview; I simply don't care what you would "require".

I'll also note that, according to the poll, more people would like such a {thread, subforum} than would not, at least so far.  And turtles are popular; go turtles!

Empirical evidence wins over bloviation and insistence.
Thanks, belgord!

carbon

Quote from: Bozobub on June 18, 2017, 07:04:21 PM
... And turtles are popular; go turtles!

To be fair, not liking turtles wasn't an option.

b0rsuk

I like turtles. Miscasting Wizard's Throw in Catacomb Kids summons a purple tortoise instead.

Honestly, what's the point now that there's a planet-wide temperature setting ? Generating a very cold planet is as simple as a mouse click.

Bozobub

So you'd argue for ditching the "world seed" idea entirely, then?  Interesting, although I don't agree.  As others have found recently, yes, you CAN still duplicate a given map — with variation in roads and rivers — with a given world seed.

This possibly can be useful in a couple of ways:
- Contests/competitive play.  It's generally best to try to ensure the most directly even start possible amongst all players.
- Exploration of permadeath play in a given biome/setting but NOT via savegames; you get a little start variation this way but not too much, which maintains interest a bit better over a long period.  Yes, I do this.  Yes, I know I'm weird ^^' .

I understand your point and agree somewhat, re: the temperature setting, but I'd argue that a good number of folks (23-6 in favor, at the moment) still would find such a thread useful.
Thanks, belgord!

ArguedPiano

I would like to point out (as objectivly as I can) that the for/against poll really does not mean much in this context simply because of biases in this thread itself.

People who are interested in having a sticky are likely to be reading this thread as, of course, they are interested. Whereas people who are not interested will be likely to not read this thread at all or just skim through the posts and not vote or comment.

Without complete community involvement this poll will always be bias towards having a sticky.

*I would like to mention that I have no strong opinions one way or the other on this topic*

~EDIT~
Bozobub, I just want you to take care if you do plan to
Quote from: Bozobub on June 22, 2017, 11:02:30 PMargue that a good number of folks (23-6 in favor, at the moment) still would find such a thread useful.
as its not an accurate representation of the community.

Such a thread is a good idea in my opinion, as it starts discussions and it provides some people the chance to consider options they may never have thought of otherwise.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Bozobub

Sorry, but no.  Literally NO user-generated poll on a forum is ever "scientific"; every one of them has self-selected participants.  I'm not going to bother to add silly attempts at doing so that are, by definition, doomed to fail because of this simple fact; it's just a forum poll; get over yourself!  In fact, I only added a poll after ANOTHER user suggested I do so, FFS, as reading the thread will show you.

As for whether or not people are "interested", I'll note that this thread currently has the most views of any non-stickied thread on the front page of the forum's index =p .

Care to explain how I should force "complete community involvement" on any given poll, especially since I am not forum staff?  You won't, of course, be able to but I'm curious: what's the BBcode for "scientific poll"..?.  Nor do I need to "take care" when stating direct, empirical facts, such as {X} people currently for and {Y} against in the given poll.  And what do you think has been going on in this thread, but "discussion"?

Once again, actual arguments for/against a "World Seed" thread, such as b0rsuk's response (to the negative) above, are interesting, useful, and welcome.  Silly attempts at gatekeeping are not.
Thanks, belgord!

ArguedPiano

Dude chill. I just wanted to point out that your gauge for community interest is flawed. 23 of 29 people aren't going to be in favor of this idea. (I may very well be wrong here, these are just my thoughts, based on nothing but my own opinion).

No need to take it so personally.

In fact I even voted in favor of this, as having a localized area where people can share seeds is a good idea.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people are indifferent one way or the other.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Bozobub

You're quite missing the point; it's the "gauge" asked for by another user.  I did not, in fact, feel a poll was necessary but was persuaded to add one (with help from a mod).  You were saying..?

Your mental picture of my emotions doesn't happen to reflect reality ::).
Thanks, belgord!

mumblemumble

Well, I voted for sticky but honestly wanted to vote no : the game isn't deep enough IMO where world seeds would do very much, I think. But maybe a couple updates could change that.

I figure even if we had a sticky, but especially subforum, it would collect dust for the most part.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Bozobub

Try searching for "seed" and/or "world seed" on the forum; there's plenty of activity re: the subject, actually, but the threads are constantly buried over time.

And I also don't get why you'd vote differently than you believe.
Thanks, belgord!

mumblemumble

Because while I THINK it wouldn't be useful in the long run, I would rather have a sticky than an entire subforum collecting dust, and would rather have a forum once it actually gets more frequent.

Just my opinion, really I think tynan would be the best person to ask considering hes planning whats up next in development.

and I'm not even against a subforum in the future, just for right now its a little lacking...

EDIT:Upon further research, consideration, I actually changed my mind : a subforum would be a good idea.

even if it DOES collect dust for a few months, it may be benificial in the end. And a sub forum isn't a huge waste of anything, really.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

Thank you, mumble, this was my thought process as well.

If there was a subforum one could even move the existing "seed" threads to this subforum.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.