Disable insect spawning on flat terrain

Started by Jorlem, June 07, 2017, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorlem

I get that insects are there to provide a risk for mountain bases. However, I would like to request that they be barred from spawning on terrain where mountain style bases are not possible, like here:

I had mined a small outcropping of rock for components, and this was the result.  This screenshot is after I had managed to kill off the main group of insects.  Those onscreen are the ones that spawned while I was recovering enough to make the final push (there were two), or spawned right as I launched my attack. If they are there as a threat to mountain bases, then fine, but they are far too powerful when not constrained by a mountain base's narrow tunnels and natural chokepoints.

O Negative

I recommend incendiary mortars for these situations. You're in a Forrest biome, and could easily choke them in by starting a large fire to the south of the hive. If one of the bugs catches fire, they're likely to run around and catch their main hive on fire. It's not a perfect plan, but it's a lot more effective than going in and risking injury I think.

Jorlem

Quote from: O Negative on June 08, 2017, 04:27:28 PM
I recommend incendiary mortars for these situations. You're in a Forrest biome, and could easily choke them in by starting a large fire to the south of the hive. If one of the bugs catches fire, they're likely to run around and catch their main hive on fire. It's not a perfect plan, but it's a lot more effective than going in and risking injury I think.
A good idea, and I'll remember that for if they respawn there before I finish filling the cave with wooden walls.  I still think that this shouldn't be something I need to worry about on flat terrain, though.