Followup on Non-recruitment rescues

Started by ProjectXa3, June 08, 2017, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectXa3

So I've posted before about the absurdity of crash pod rescues bolting for the exit as soon as they can stand without even an opportunity to talk, and I just wanted to leave a followup on that with an account of another instance of its silliness.

Here's Wendy. She's a Glitterworld surgeon who grew up in the middle of an apocalypse (presumably on a different world than her later practice). She landed yesterday. She has a pair of pants, and literally nothing else. She has a stab wound on her torso, a cut on her leg, and oh yeah, let's not forget the cracked spine. Her wounds were bound with basic bandages and packed with mashed herbs to curb infection and soothe swelling, all of which was done, I should mention, by my resident farmer because he has the relative most medical experience between my colonists. Here she is seven hours after treatment headed for my northwestern border.

I get that to improve the system in vanilla would be a large burden, but in the meanwhile, you gotta admit the results are kinda ridiculous.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

Mulahey

I'm sure you are aware of the fact you can capture them instead of a rescue. If you are (correctly) pointing at a game imbalance issue, I'm sure (again) it will get Tynan's attention in the future updates.

Bozobub

Possibly so, but Tynan needs to be aware of balance problems — and agree that they are problems, of course — to fix them, as well.  That doesn't easily happen w/o communication of some sort.
Thanks, belgord!

mcgnarman

I always capture them when I want to keep them.

BetaSpectre

Capturing a person IRL is not what most people should be doing to patients. I think most people would stay to heal up first then walk away.

But that being said pawns should only be leaving if they are clothed, armed, and have food provisions. Which maybe they could steal or ask for IMO.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Dashthechinchilla

I always thought that there was a better chance of them joining if you provided incentive. Like an open bed in a decent room and available decent clothes. Could just be my imagination though.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on June 09, 2017, 12:08:21 AM
I always thought that there was a better chance of them joining if you provided incentive. Like an open bed in a decent room and available decent clothes. Could just be my imagination though.
I noticed it too, the better they like you the more likely they'd stay.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Guilty Omelette

I used to rescue and fix up crash landers but stopped once they started joining my colony without my consent. Now I just leave them to die.

Robb

Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread but I had a somewhat similar event that made no sense to me....

Had an escape pod crash quite a distance from my base. The person inside was the sister of one my pawns. I immediately sent her out to rescue/capture her sister, but before she could get there, the person who crash landed got up and walked right off the map.

Maybe the person didn't know there was a colony nearby and/or her sister was there. Only reason I could think of as to why she would prefer to walk around in the wilderness than go to a place that had food and medical care.

ITypedThis

Quote from: Guilty Omelette on June 09, 2017, 12:26:51 AM
I used to rescue and fix up crash landers but stopped once they started joining my colony without my consent. Now I just leave them to die.

I think you can just capture them, treat them, then release them if you don't want a really crappy colonist.