[A17] Nanitride Pills - Stay healthy... for a price

Started by Inacio, September 24, 2017, 05:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inacio

My late-game colony had a 5-disease streak. Flu, muscle parasites, plague, malaria and infections. In a row. It was enough motivation to make me learn how to make a simple mod.

Introducing Nanitride Pills.

Adds Nanitride pills, an advanced preventive medicine. It'll prevent a lot of stuff, but it's very, very expensive to research and make. Intended to be a late-game preventive measure, it lasts about as long as Penoxycyline.

Prevents:
• Malaria
• Gut worms
• Muscle parasites
• Fibrous mechanites
• Infections
• Flu
• Sensory mechanites
• Sleeping sickness
• Plague

Researching:
It can be researched on a hi-tech workbench with a multi-analyzer for 3500. It's a spacer-level research.

Producing:
In order to make Nanitride, you'll need the following:
• 10 Psychoid leaves
• 15 Neutramine
• 2 Medicine
• 1 Plasteel

It can then be produced on a drug table like other drugs.

Download:
Steam Workshop
GitHub

Let me know if it's too OP or too expensive! Thanks for checking the mod out!

Encrtia

Well I endorse this. Will install later via Steam Workshop though, as there's no quick download link here.
~When death is smiling at you, just smile on back.

Lexmechanic

It seems like you could get away with it covering only the things that Penoxycycline doesn't. While it's not as convenient, having two drugs working on concert would feel more plausible to me than a miracle cure. In fact, if it was a focused anti-parasite/mechanite drug, then that would make a lot of sense, thematically. Then the remaining flu and infections could be covered by an advanced Penoxycycline variant, perhaps named Veroxycycline? (My cursory dictionary research indicates that "pen-" means "almost", whereas "ver-" means "true". Probably a very rough attempt though...) Then the cost could be split between the upgrade recipe and Nanitride. I don't know why complicating things like this appeals to me... But that's how my brain works. :)

Inacio

Quote from: Lexmechanic on September 25, 2017, 03:56:14 PM
It seems like you could get away with it covering only the things that Penoxycycline doesn't. While it's not as convenient, having two drugs working on concert would feel more plausible to me than a miracle cure. In fact, if it was a focused anti-parasite/mechanite drug, then that would make a lot of sense, thematically. Then the remaining flu and infections could be covered by an advanced Penoxycycline variant, perhaps named Veroxycycline? (My cursory dictionary research indicates that "pen-" means "almost", whereas "ver-" means "true". Probably a very rough attempt though...) Then the cost could be split between the upgrade recipe and Nanitride. I don't know why complicating things like this appeals to me... But that's how my brain works. :)

I like this idea. I'll play with it a bit and see how it feels.

AngleWyrm

What was written:
Quote from: Inacio on September 24, 2017, 05:58:33 PM
...but it's very, very expensive to research and make. Intended to be a late-game preventive measure...
What I read:
No comparison and placement into the order of things.

The phrase "very expensive" means that a pawn or colony would prefer that thing instead of a huge basket full of other stuff that could be bought for the same price. The phrase "late-game" in this context means that pawns will get sick before taking preventative medicine. And so I suspect that huge basket full of other stuff might be more useful.

So here's an approach.
A thingy competes for the time/effort/resources of colonies in the Rimworld universe, against what else they could be doing with that stuff.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: AngleWyrm on September 25, 2017, 11:11:21 PM
What was written:
...but it's very, very expensive to research and make. Intended to be a late-game preventive measure...
What I read:

The phrase "very expensive" means that a pawn or colony would prefer that thing instead of a huge basket full of other stuff that could be bought for the same price. The phrase "late-game" in this context means that pawns will get sick before taking preventative medicine. And so I suspect that huge basket full of other stuff might be more useful.

So here's an approach.
A thingy competes for the time/effort/resources of colonies in the Rimworld universe, against what else they could be doing with that stuff.

B-but "Intended to be a thingy that competes for the time/effort/resources of colonies in the Rimworld universe, against what else they could be doing with that stuff preventative measure."

Is not as catchy

Inacio

Quote from: AngleWyrm on September 25, 2017, 11:11:21 PM
What was written:
What I read:

So here's an approach.

An item that can prevent a potentially colony-hampering event should not be cheap to make, in my opinion. Any of the diseases it protects against (compared to Penoxycyline) can really mess things up.

If you know how to make money and you're in the late game, you can easily afford the resources required for keeping your medicine cabinet stocked with a few pills.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Chicken Plucker on September 26, 2017, 12:45:29 AM
B-but "[long wordy description]"
Is not as catchy

Thingy competitions?
Survival of the most effective spending?
Baskets of balance?
Building a better shopping experience?
Player perspective price point pickings?

Quote from: Inacio on September 26, 2017, 07:58:11 AM
An item that can prevent a potentially colony-hampering event should not be cheap to make, in my opinion

Thingy competition
  • Vegetable garden provides Flu-EZ that reduces the time spent sick, and antibiotics that increase recovery rate from illness
  • Tribal essentials provides psychoid tea that increases blood filtration, blood pumping and metabolism
  • More consumables and mutagens provides herbal tincture giving immunity to disease for a day, Myrol mutagen gives light regeneration and blood filtration, and there's also some additional mutations including viprous blood and myrolsis
  • Mechanite augmentation provides immune boosters and toxin scrubbers
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh