Temperature and food control related

Started by kfsone, June 08, 2017, 06:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfsone

Trying to keep my refrigeration rooms cold. Foot traffic caused by the production conveyor belt makes this difficult, so I built a 3-chamber fridge. Corpses -> Butchering -> Production (I have other stoves outside the chain)

The problem is all the foot-traffic to get meals, wandering thru, etc.

Ideas:

- "Trade" doors - allow door access to be restricted to certain tasks. E.g only the butcher should be able to open the door between the ingredient and corpse rooms,
- "Fridge" - a shelf for food,
- "Heat Map" - like beauty map but for temperatures,
- Ability to restrict where people get their food from: Right now everyone just goes into the refrigerator,

It would be really nice if you could build a fridge either side of a stove, one for ingredients and one for completed products and if cooks would use the fridge ingredients before going elsewhere. This would let you set up an efficient workflow.

I had to restrict animals to not be allowed in there because they were continually flowing in, out and thru and frequently sleeping there after eating, but that also stops them from hauling food into there for me.

erdrik

I like the idea of task priority filtered doors, but...
I just use Airlocks to prevent temperature bleed.
Some people have the two doors of the airlock side by side, but I like to have empty tiles between them to act as a buffer.

With the below setup, Only the cooks and hunters ever go into the Ingredients Freezer(unless the colonist wants some berries) and Ive never seen the Freezers temp fluctuate more than 1 degree.(except in extreme temp situations like Heat Waves)

Limdood

autodoors help, 2 autodoors will virtually eliminate temp bleed.

kfsone

Quote from: erdrik on June 08, 2017, 07:28:15 PM
I like the idea of task priority filtered doors, but...
I just use Airlocks to prevent temperature bleed.
Some people have the two doors of the airlock side by side, but I like to have empty tiles between them to act as a buffer.

With the below setup, Only the cooks and hunters ever go into the Ingredients Freezer(unless the colonist wants some berries) and Ive never seen the Freezers temp fluctuate more than 1 degree.(except in extreme temp situations like Heat Waves)

Interesting! Hmm - where do you do your butchering?

erdrik

The butchers table is always in the same room as the Stoves.
I don't like to put the Stoves in the Freezer as that acts as a discomfort for the cook, and I think Stoves are heat pushers and as such would have an impact on the Freezer's Temp.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: erdrik on June 09, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
The butchers table is always in the same room as the Stoves.

I'd advise against this. Butchery tables (and most production tables) have an inherent uncleanliness stat that reduces the cleanliness of the room (and hence increases the odds of food poisoning) even if it's fully cleaned.

You are correct about the temperature problem for cooks (they also work slower in the cold) and the heat pushing effect, though.

erdrik

I get about 1 case of food poisoning in like one or two years with my setup, so its not that big a deal.
Though I suppose it wouldn't be to difficult to add a little "closet" to put the butchers table in...

jamaicancastle

Quote from: erdrik on June 10, 2017, 02:50:38 PM
I get about 1 case of food poisoning in like one or two years with my setup, so its not that big a deal.
Though I suppose it wouldn't be to difficult to add a little "closet" to put the butchers table in...

I usually just put it in with the other production structures. After all, they either have to haul the meat over to where the stoves are, or the leather over to where the tailoring benches are. Of course, I don't generally invest in livestock, so I rarely have the situation where I need to butcher things constantly.