Map Cabin Fever (Read)

Started by Kenneth79, June 09, 2017, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenneth79

The IDEA:
I really do believe that there should be more flexibility within the map. I'm talking about your faction base map and not the world map. Sure we can trek the world... but what about trekking the map and owning the map? What I've noticed and it has been consistent with the game play is that your colonists in the map is soooooooo concentrated. There is no diffusion when it comes to building your base. There is always a linear set up in bases and that is a centralized food source, centralized stockpile, centralized colonist locations and etc.

This is what I believe will make Rimworld better. I imagine a map where your colonists don't merely stay at one spot but occupy the whole map in which their location makes sense. For example, farmers are placed in a farming location far away and separate from houses. I also imagine military bases living close to rivers and remote from civilian houses. Of course with this type of diffusion there needs to be internal transportation in the game. So maybe horses and vehicles. Also with stockpiles.... stockpiles will be assigned to specific regions in the map.

BetaSpectre

So people wanting to explore more and travel? TBH I think it'd be an annoying joy thing to add in since it's a high risk factor when taking care of pawns.

Though I do want the map to be more spread out but IMO the biggest issue is simply rendering ability. it'd lag too much.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cultist

It is technically possible to spread your base all over the map, but you need lots of pawns since each location needs its own food stockpile, joy/dining room, defenses and such. With mods it should be possible, but it's probably going to slow down your game. I wouldn't try it with the largest map sizes.

Limdood

People build that way for defensibility and efficiency, 2 things that would be INCREDIBLY highly valued by spaceship crash survivors or tribal genocide survivors.  Large colonies already begin to expand to fill the map, and layered defenses take up another large portion of maps...i can't think of any reason to "sprawl out" a base...