More Traps/Security

Started by HsaS, June 09, 2017, 12:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HsaS

Right now for security there is only deadfall traps, turrets, IEDs and mortars. This should be expanded, here are some ideas...

Beartraps: One time use traps which can trap attackers for a second and give them a nasty cut to their legs. Could also be used for hunting and animals cannot get out by themselves.

Mounted Miniguns: Like turrets but don't use electricity and can be manned by colonists. The colonist would fire around 5 shots then the minigun needs to cool down for a few secs. Colonist would be vulnerable to be shot.

Trip Wire: Activates other traps such as flame, dart or gun traps. Early game defense tactic.

Electric Fence: Fence which requires electricity to run and zaps attackers away. Attacks could just shoot it and break it or melee. Good thing for late game tribe attacks.

Laser Beams: Electricity run beams capable of slicing up people. Attackers aren't dumb and they'll probs just shoot it or go around but mechs, insects or animals aren't as smart.

Some of my ideas wouldn't be the most practical but any thoughts or ideas of how they could be changed for the better?

BetaSpectre

Mods add some of these.
Though TBH the real problem vanilla is that most people make their defenses OP. Turrets are kinda weak for that reason.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Erinbe

More defensive options allows individual defensive solutions to be more situational, though.

Turrets are weak because they have to have a very wide skill set in terms of dealing with invaders. If there were more options, each option could be specialized, and making OP defenses becomes prohibitive because of the cost and space requirements.

An electric fence might be good at stopping small animals, but won't stand up to a rampaging rhino. A bear trap might stop a... bear... dead in it's tracks, but humans will avoid it and robots will be unaffected by it. A flare deploying system of some kind might scare off animals and confuse simple robots targeting systems, but would be largely ineffective at stopping humans. Manned turrets might be strong against close range or melee enemies, but struggle to shoot beyond a few tiles making them vulerable to people with guns. Some kind of psychic beacon sending out scary images might scare and demoralise primitive tribals, and confuse insects, but will be largely ignored by more advanced humans and robots.

And sure, you can build all of those things in a small mountain chokepoint, but it might be difficult to fit them all, and would be orders of magnitude more expensive than the current system where you just throw down a few turrets and call it a day.

Trylobyte

I really think defenses in RimWorld are kind've shallow, namely that they don't scale that well.  Early game you get deadfall traps.  Mid-game you get turrets and mortars.  Late-game you don't get anything.  This places more of an emphasis on active defense and building your base to withstand sieges (and exploit the enemy AI via killboxes) than on structuring defenses capable of handling the enemy.  And that's fine, some people really enjoy that.  But it's shallow, and a big reason why I tend to get a mod or two that expands the role of turrets and static defenses - The idea that my colonists can build charge rifles and power armor and interstellar spaceships but can't figure out how to dig a moat, mount another gun type to a gun platform, or launch rockets is alien to me.