[1.0] Combat Extended - 1.8.2 CE Melee released (17.11.2019)

Started by NoImageAvailable, June 09, 2017, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheaterEater

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 04, 2017, 12:09:30 PM
Quote from: CheaterEater on November 04, 2017, 11:47:05 AM
Yes, but using the same ammo gives the same damage. So great bows and short bows could both use the "arrow" ammo but then they do the same damage. I would like to have a modifier I can change attached to the great bow and short bow so that they can both use the same "arrow" ammo but do different amounts of damage. This value can be zero for the base mod, I just want the ability to change it so when I play around I can change it for my personal game.

You're setting everything to use the same ammo sets, just make multiple sets mapping the same ammo to different projectiles.

Ok, I think I see what you mean, I'll try it out. I didn't realize the projectiles were disconnected from the ammo

Kruniac

This is extremely broken with the werewolf mod. Even with 13 melee skill, most hits to critters will glance off, doing 0 damage. I guess the claw attack has no armor penetration and CE jacks natural armor to stupid levels or something.

You can tear off an eye or tear out an eye because they have low armor, but the hit chance is miserably low, and if you hit a major part, a little white speck appears for the hit and no damage is done.

Pretty shitty, actually. I recall having a similar problem with another mod and CE where every hit with an unarmed attack would fail to harm a goat.

You'd figure a WEREWOLF can kill a GOAT, but that isn't the case in CE. Should be fixed.

NoImageAvailable

Anything adding new melee verbs needs a compatibility patch or else will do 0 damage, there is nothing to "fix" here per se. If you want the mod to be compatible, the OP has a link to the GitHub Wiki with detailed guides on how to create compatibility patches for all types of mods, feel free to make one and publish/submit it for inclusion.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Kruniac

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 05, 2017, 11:19:40 AM
Anything adding new melee verbs needs a compatibility patch or else will do 0 damage, there is nothing to "fix" here per se. If you want the mod to be compatible, the OP has a link to the GitHub Wiki with detailed guides on how to create compatibility patches for all types of mods, feel free to make one and publish/submit it for inclusion.

Alrighty. This is exactly the info I was looking for. You're badass. Thanks.

kobar

*cough* a18 *cough*

Please, tell me that Tynan hasn't changed the combat system, so you'll have to rewrite CE  :'(

Kori

Quote from: CheaterEater on November 04, 2017, 01:34:38 PM
Ok, I think I see what you mean, I'll try it out. I didn't realize the projectiles were disconnected from the ammo

Would you mind sharing your simplified ammo patch when you got it working?
I'd also like to try it out. :)

Kruniac

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 05, 2017, 11:19:40 AM

So I checked it out and it seems that the werewolf forms are using standard Verb_MeleeAttack, so I whipped up an xml patch to change one werewolf type to use CombatExtended.Verb_MeleeAttackCE

Ran a few tests. Not seeing a dramatic difference. An ostrich got two shot downed, which was great. I noticed that I couldn't penetrate the clothing of my starting friends (tribals), but I could do great damage to unprotected limbs.

I attacked a cougar and did no damage except for a torn off ear, but kept getting the white specks on hit. Is that my guy missing, or is it in fact an armor issue? It seems certain animals (boomalopes especially) simply refuse to take damage from my attacks.

Check out my XML.

<Patch>
<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<success>Always</success>
<operations>
<li Class="CombatExtended.PatchOperationFindMod">
<modName>Rim of Madness - Werewolves</modName>
</li>
<li Class="PatchOperationAddModExtension">
<xpath>*/WerewolfFormDefs[defName="ROM_GlabroClaw"/verbs]</xpath>
<value>
<verbs>
<li Class="CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE">
<verbClass>CombatExtended.Verb_MeleeAttackCE</verbClass>
<meleeDamageDef>Slash</meleeDamageDef>
<linkedBodyPartsGroup>RightHand</linkedBodyPartsGroup>
<meleeArmorPenetration>0.2</meleeArmorPenetration>
</li>

<meleeDamageDef>Slash</meleeDamageDef>
<linkedBodyPartsGroup>LeftHand</linkedBodyPartsGroup>
<meleeArmorPenetration>0.2</meleeArmorPenetration>
</li>
</verbs>
</value>

</li>
</operations>
</Operation>
<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<success>Always</success>
<operations>
<li Class="CombatExtended.PatchOperationFindMod">
<modName>Rim of Madness - Werewolves</modName>
</li>
  <xpath>*/WerewolfFormDefs[defName="ROM_GlabroJaw"/verbs]</xpath>
  <value>
      <verbs>
<meleeDamageDef>Bite</meleeDamageDef>
<linkedBodyPartsGroup>Teeth</linkedBodyPartsGroup>
<meleeArmorPenetration>0.4</meleeArmorPenetration>
      </li>
      </verbs>
  </value>
</li>
</operations>
</Operation>
</Patch>

I dumped that into a folder and tossed the folder into the Patches folder of Combat Extended. AFAIK, it should be executing properly (I'm not getting any debug errors on launch).

Wounds on things are still showing up as Scratch<whatever>, even though I set the damage type to Slash. Hope that's normal.

Any feedback on this patch I'm trying to make would be appreciated - despite using .NET, C#, and Javascript for over four years, my XML, and especially my familiarity with Rimworld's mod structure is extremely lacking.

*Edit* Yeah, I don't know what's going on. This patch does nothing,  as I've tried testing with reduced damage values with no luck. I also tried using the same patch in a custom mod called Werewolf Fix, and it doesn't work (damage values don't change, although no errors are thrown).

Is it just not reading the mod name properly?

NoImageAvailable

Your patch is wrong in several places

Should be

<li Class="PatchOperationReplace">
  <xpath>*/WerewolfFormDefs[defName="ROM_GlabroJaw"]/verbs</xpath>

Also, slash damage does get listed as scratch, the way to tell the difference is slash does bruises on deflection.

Regarding A18 port, don't expect anything until there is a stable release. The unstable code could change at any moment and break stuff again, meaning more unnecessary work.

Kruniac

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 06, 2017, 02:26:57 AM
Your patch is wrong in several places

Should be

<li Class="PatchOperationReplace">
  <xpath>*/WerewolfFormDefs[defName="ROM_GlabroJaw"]/verbs</xpath>

Also, slash damage does get listed as scratch, the way to tell the difference is slash does bruises on deflection.

Regarding A18 port, don't expect anything until there is a stable release. The unstable code could change at any moment and break stuff again, meaning more unnecessary work.

Ugh, can't believe I missed that.

I've got it working just fine when I went back and edited Jecrell's def directly, but I'm not sure I have the will to wrestle with a patch today. Thanks again for your help.

Eventually, if he doesn't do it, I'll have to convert all of the CoC weapons (Tommy Guns and the like) to CE, and do the same for the Vampire claws and stuff. Blarg.

It seems like a lot of work, but CE is an absolute requirement for Rimworld, IMO. Absolutely top notch mod, and thank you for your hard work on it.

Boston

If I may make a suggestion, as someone that makes and uses the 'primitive' weapons present in Rimworld.

One of the main benefits of using a bow or a javelin is that chances are likely you can pick up and reuse a projectile. Sure, the shaft may be bent or even broken, but so long as the projectile tip is still functional, you can make a new shaft relatively easily.

To come to my main point: can it be made possible where 'primitive' weapons (aka bows and javelins) do not 'use' ammunition, to represent them being scavenged from the environment after a fight?

Because, to be frank, the current ammunition system makes playing as tribespeople very, very taxing on resources, to say the least. Every missed arrow or javelin, or hell, even one that hits the target, is steel that I can never get back, when in 'reality' I could just search for the damn thing, or pull it from the target.

I don't want the ammunition system removed from the game, and I like it..... this is just the only way I can think to represent reusing primitive ammunition without turning the entire option off

Kori

Quote from: Boston on November 08, 2017, 04:40:19 PM
If I may make a suggestion, as someone that makes and uses the 'primitive' weapons present in Rimworld.

One of the main benefits of using a bow or a javelin is that chances are likely you can pick up and reuse a projectile. Sure, the shaft may be bent or even broken, but so long as the projectile tip is still functional, you can make a new shaft relatively easily.

To come to my main point: can it be made possible where 'primitive' weapons (aka bows and javelins) do not 'use' ammunition, to represent them being scavenged from the environment after a fight?

Because, to be frank, the current ammunition system makes playing as tribespeople very, very taxing on resources, to say the least. Every missed arrow or javelin, or hell, even one that hits the target, is steel that I can never get back, when in 'reality' I could just search for the damn thing, or pull it from the target.

I don't want the ammunition system removed from the game, and I like it..... this is just the only way I can think to represent reusing primitive ammunition without turning the entire option off

I also enjoy using the tribal weapons, but to be frank I don't like the idea of just disabling the ammo system for bows and javelins.

Instead, would it be possible to have a certain chance that after shooting the javelin, it will re-spawn at the position where it hits the ground or target?
So you could have a 60-70% chance to re-use the javelin, and maybe a chance of 30-40% for arrows? (configurable for each projectile via XML in case someone wants to alter these values)

Maybe this could be optional in the mod settings so that people who don't care about the resources and are afraid that their map would clutter with arrows can disable it. ;)

I'd love to see such a feature, not because of the resources but for immersion and realism.

Umbreon117

Quote from: Kori on November 08, 2017, 06:40:38 PM
Quote from: Boston on November 08, 2017, 04:40:19 PM

I also enjoy using the tribal weapons, but to be frank I don't like the idea of just disabling the ammo system for bows and javelins.

Instead, would it be possible to have a certain chance that after shooting the javelin, it will re-spawn at the position where it hits the ground or target?
So you could have a 60-70% chance to re-use the javelin, and maybe a chance of 30-40% for arrows? (configurable for each projectile via XML in case someone wants to alter these values)

Maybe this could be optional in the mod settings so that people who don't care about the resources and are afraid that their map would clutter with arrows can disable it. ;)

I'd love to see such a feature, not because of the resources but for immersion and realism.
That would actually be quite balanced! I myself would actually like that. I don't have much worry about wood resources, but it WOULD be nice for realism/immersion, and so i don't have to make as many.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

NoImageAvailable

Having primitive ammo respawn after use should be a simple enough addition, will look into it for the A18 release.

Mr_Man

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36208.0 looks like there's a lot of combat tweaks... you've got quite a bit of work cut out for ya.

Diana Winters