[1.0] Combat Extended - 1.8.2 CE Melee released (17.11.2019)

Started by NoImageAvailable, June 09, 2017, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Hi guys. i have a request. i made the RPG style inventory mod and i'm kinda tired at being asked to make a patch for CE. it is not possible, unless i include ur mod in my code.
so, can u plz harmony-patch into my mod's gear tab code, like u r doing with vanilla gear tab code?
Uuugggg from Smart Medicine did it for the "Stockup options". plz add ur "Loadout" option into my mod's gear tab. Thanks in advance.

forumgod

When the ammunition system disabled the machining table still has bills for 90mm cannon shells which are unusable. There is also no way to make mortar shells which are required for IEDs as well as mortars like in vanilla.

As others have said too, fragmentation explosives cause very annoying lag spikes and are unnecessary to implement as such.

The R-11 precision rifle and the L-20 machine gun bills are in the machining table but I suppose they were meant to be in the fabrication bench along with the R-15 charge rifle?

Goldenpotatoes

Having an option to disable explosion shrapnel would be great, since otherwise they cause stutters every time one goes off and the problem is exaggerated once you start dealing with a siege or multiple grenadiers.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on February 08, 2019, 10:47:12 AM
Having an option to disable explosion shrapnel would be great, since otherwise they cause stutters every time one goes off and the problem is exaggerated once you start dealing with a siege or multiple grenadiers.

1.0 introduced a change that causes massive performance drop when hit calculations are performed. It affects all projectiles, not just fragments. It's being looked into.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

whyareuhere

When hunting exploding animals such as boomalopes and boomrats, after downing them, a large lag spike appears. In verbose logging, the error says

"JobDriver threw exception in IntAction for pawn Lapu driver=JobDriver_hunt( (toilindex=3) driver.job (Hunt (Job1121616) A=Thing Boomalope186353) lastJobGiver=Verse.AI.ThinkNode QueueJob"

Maybe the author forgot to add in shooting the boomalopes/boomrats when they're down for hunting?

Faryzal2020

how to resize the top turret texture? i've tried both <turretTopDrawSize> and resizing the top turret texture to above 512px but still doesn't work
Check out my mod: Definitely More Cannons

forumgod

Why are vanilla items like the two stationary turrets and the charge lance removed?

Gebunator

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I've been enjoying CE (among godless amount of other mods and the base game itself) I just have few gripes and those might be tied to the Rimworld itself, but anyways.. Here we go. All this written with one thing in mind: I avoid the killbox strategy

The Centipede inferno rant again!
Fighting them isn't enjoyable, doesn't feel rewarding. Maybe it's Randy just wanting to eff me over, but eight of ten times. A centipede is a flawless shot with an inferno cannon. So each time I'm pitted against them, I'm expected to lose 1-2 colonists per a 'inferno cannon.
Only if my dedicated cannoniers with their 14+ shooting could match the accuracy, I can accept 90mms being slower to fire, yeah. After all, to a 'pede, using their weapon is like moving a finger. It's just that the 90mm is slow, big target and fires inaccurately. Yes, could be range problem, but I'd expect atleast 50% hti chance with my seasoned (what's left of them) soldiers on mostly open field, firing from (presumably) fortified positions.
Also, I think the damage could be nerfed a bit. It seems that everything that can be destroyed WILL be utterly devastated in the area of effect. Not a lot of fire left too.
On the other hand, RPGs with HEATS seem to have just the effect I was expecting, usually taking 2-3 hits  to take down 'pede.

So far, I only three enjoyable mechanoid fights. One involved a giant swarm of scythers that rushed through hella thick walls and turned a gunfight into a medieval melee with potshotters. The casualties were BIG but oh boy, 'twas fun. Another had pedes but without inferno cannons. Lost few good colonists to their massive hail of fire (and big chunks of defensive walls). Last one had inferno cannons, but with my chosen tactic of "Fire everything at the inferno", I managed to knock down inferno pedes' sights out, rendering them just firing widly everywhere except my colonists. This however made inferno cannons act as intended, creating so many breach entries for the swarms of scythers and leaving colonists coverless for lancers. Hard fought victory.

In the end, either Inferno cannons need to be looked at in CE or there needs to be more tools to combat them effectively. Maybe those grain warheads or shells, but I never had a quest for one.. Or bigger, cannons?  Just feels odd that the only true AT options we have are LAWS, RPGS and cannons. Sure in a pinch ASGs and KVs will do a job, but let's face it.. A 'pede will eff your base up faster than those guns eff up them.

Otherwise, CE seems about right. Besides the odd "Raider has poor RPG with thermos, casually snipes your legendary crafter" which I can chalk up as Ye Usual Rimworld Experience. Still, CE is on the right track, encouraging player to outfit colonists to tackle myriad of obstacles instead of "Best gun, now".
For example, My former minigunner, Grugfur with his godly 18 shooting, kept hordes at bay, mowed down anyone who stepped out of cover, ripe for ASG fire while my Cannoneers, outfitted with m24s, took down stragglers. My soldiers (Aks and RPGs) added to the volume of fire while my antitank guy took down the shield and power armor guys. It's just beautiful to watch when you got all orchestrated and figured out, also very beautiful when raiders bring an element that just screws up your battle plans. Like my first time encountering a shieldguy with grenade when I myself didn't have own grenades or high piercing weaponry...

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: nickdos on February 11, 2019, 10:43:45 AM
Why are vanilla items like the two stationary turrets and the charge lance removed?

The turrets overlap with the CE ones so had to be rolled into one. On a poll people preferred the old CE graphics over the new vanilla turrets so those were retained. Charge lance is balanced as an NPC only weapon (or else you'd probably die to the first scyther raid) + overlap with the charge sniper.

Quote from: Gebunator on February 12, 2019, 04:15:59 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster!

Tbh that sounds like you're missing EMP weapons in your line-up. They stun and do tons of damage against Centipedes, anyone can carry EMP grenades or slugs and grenade launchers allow deployment from medium range. Also sounds like you're engaging from too far a range. If your KPV's aren't killing Centipedes in one burst you're doing something wrong (are you using AP-I or HE ammo?). As for the 90mm, yeah that thing needs a rework.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Jan2607

I took a lokk at the stat sheets on Github, and I noticed that .50 Sabot rounds do less damage than every other .50 round, but have only a slightly higher armor pen. Are the sheet numbers correct? It seems to me that the sabot rounds should be a bit more rewarding when it comes to armor pen.
Btw, there are a lot of entries missing int he projectile stat sheet.

forumgod

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 12, 2019, 05:18:22 AM
Quote from: nickdos on February 11, 2019, 10:43:45 AM

The turrets overlap with the CE ones so had to be rolled into one. On a poll people preferred the old CE graphics over the new vanilla turrets so those were retained. Charge lance is balanced as an NPC only weapon (or else you'd probably die to the first scyther raid) + overlap with the charge sniper.

Wrong, uranium slug turrets don't overlap with anything and they are the only weapon that matches the insane inferno cannon range, they need to be in the game. There is no other weapon with as big range except the mortar which is indirect. Even the geniuses at Ludeon finally decided to add them to counter the centipedes, but you removed them?
You are suggesting to use weapons that have pathetic range: emp grenades and shotguns, against enemies that instagib anything they hit until it gets close.

Also forgot to mention miniguns. They too have a niche that no other weapon covers: big weight, big spread, lots of bullets.

And again: with the ammunition system off there is no way to make mortar shells, the machining table only has bills for 90mm flak cannon shells which is definitely an error because they can't be used on the flak cannon *with the ammuniton system off*
Even got a quest that rewarded an antimatter warhead that vanished after it appeared.

Jan2607

@nickdos: What about the 90 mm cannon? What about the KPV with armor piercing rounds? What about the Tac-50? All these weapons have the same range as the inferno cannon. And if you put some of them in your defensive line, you will match the centipedes.
I don't think that a uranium slug turret woulod get a higher range then these weapons, so it doesn't make any difference.
Btw, you can use Sabot rounds for the heavy weapons. That is the same ammo a uranium slug turret would use (since Sabots have a tip made of uranium).

boozdeuvash

Quote from: Gebunator on February 12, 2019, 04:15:59 AM
The Centipede inferno rant again!

Fighting those slimy bastards is tricky, but there's a few methods you can reliably use. the most important factor you can leverage with the inferno cannon is the long target acquisition and aiming time, which makes it possible to maneuver your way around its ridiculous firepower:

- The EMP long range strike : use long-range weaponry (such as mortars) to stun the target mechanoid while keeping your pawns just outside of range; once it is stunned, move into position and engage with all your forces. Take advantage of the binoculars for an accurate strike.
- The EMP ambush : when you have that possibility (thanks to terrain or an inactive ship part), you may want to position a few pawns with sort range EMP weapons such as grenades, grenade launchers, or shotguns with EMP rounds. Then, when the ambush occurs, immediately stun the target and concentrate your firepower on it.
- The Shield bait : the mechanics of a shield belt allow its wearer to take a single blast with no harm, even though the belt will be depleted. If you lure the inferno cannon onto this target, you can buy more time for your damage-dealin pawns.
- The Doggy Bait : Using a bunch of dogs as infernon cannon fodder is far from being the worst thing you've done in this game. They'll have to be trained for release.

Other general advice :
- Rocket launchers should be your primary weaponry against centipedes; even if they do not kill the target in one go, they can often damage sight and manipulation to such an extent that the bastards can't hit the broad side of a barn.
- Heavy weaponry with the correct ammo is crucial : TAC-50s are your friend. You can also form an HMG team with one guy carrying a boxed KPV and another carrying some ammo. Charge weapons with Ion ammo also helps.
- Anyone else should be carrying saigas or USAS-12 with EMP ammo, if anything to deal with the other mechanoids if they get too close.
- Smoke can help you cover a retreat or cross the range and get in close. Engaging with melee can be useful if there are no supporting mechs nearby.

Personnally, when dealing with centipedes, I find the charge blasters to be more of an issue because they have a much shorter aiming time and can often one-shot pawns with a headshot.

Gebunator

I probably should've elaborated my tactics more. Yeah, I use EMP. Alot. Mortar and nades. Giant hail of KVs, both manned and unmanned (unmanned are great for huge prison breaks and buying some extra time for colonists to get in position), few tacs. Miniguns, machineguns, shotguns. My grenade launchers mostly coming in ASG variety because to me it feels less micromanagery than milkor. (I swear, the moment you look away from milkor user, he decides to blow up your defensive line or at least himself)
I mean, I use pretty much everything given to me by the mods and the base game. Each raid turns into one helluva soviet battlefield everytime. Only thing I don't use is making those chokepointy killboxes because that feels cheaper than pinpoint, superfast inferno shots 'pedes pull off more than not.

The 'pedes are advertised being ACPs with bunker busting capabilities, but instead they end up being WH40k's Baneblade. Just saying the inferno guns should get some nerf to the accuracy. Yes, they should be these juggernauts that take special attention that will end up wrecking a base if left unchecked.
Guess... I just have a problem with them sniping with 100% accuracy more times than not in the very split second they get in range, unless you have knocked their sensors out and still, it's either direct hit or utter miss for the 'pedes.
Maybe I need to check my mods too. Besides other gun and combat related mods, I run the CE guns and Rimfire. Who know, maybe I got wrong mod orders or something that just makes inferno cannons the mech equilavent of infinity gauntlet? Or then Randy just hates me and my colonies? Should probably try other storytellers too..

forumgod

Quote from: Jan2607 on February 13, 2019, 07:05:17 AM
@nickdos: What about the 90 mm cannon? What about the KPV with armor piercing rounds? What about the Tac-50? All these weapons have the same range as the inferno cannon. And if you put some of them in your defensive line, you will match the centipedes.
I don't think that a uranium slug turret woulod get a higher range then these weapons, so it doesn't make any difference.
Btw, you can use Sabot rounds for the heavy weapons. That is the same ammo a uranium slug turret would use (since Sabots have a tip made of uranium).

yeah using a machine gun against a tank totally makes sense right? @noimageincluded
No, the uranium slug turrets exist for this sole purpose and make perfect sense, they are to counter centipedes and are the only weapon that makes sense if you really want to be """realistic""" with this mod.
Strange how attacking a tank with shotguns and grenades are supposed to be realistic when in reality all heavy armor vehicles in history were fought with big guns.