[1.0] Combat Extended - 1.8.2 CE Melee released (17.11.2019)

Started by NoImageAvailable, June 09, 2017, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lupin III

Quote from: Hungry Colonist on August 17, 2017, 05:41:38 PMYou came here to download a mod called Combat ->Extended<- and that's what you're getting.
You are right it's called "combat extended", and not "learn your guns". I install this mod, because the combat mechanics of the base game are lacking, to say the least, and not to learn random character and number combinations. Those names don't add anything to combat, but make the game tedious whenever you have to deal with guns, be it manufacturing, equipping, buying/selling and scrapping.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Seven on August 17, 2017, 04:37:04 PM
From what I've seen, there's little this mod offers that couldn't be aggregated down to simple things like "sniper rifle", "assault rifle", "battle rifle" etc., possibly with light/heavy appended to give even more info, to give an idea of what to expect from a weapon. Sure, you might still need to check the details to pick which weapon you want, but you could at least narrow it down to just a few different ones if you knew you needed, for example, a long-range, high-damage automatic (probably a battle rifle in that case). It's not perfect, but it's far more accessible.

I can see where you're coming from on how having things like assault rifle in the name would be helpful to some people, but I think it ultimately comes down to the individual user. Appending this stuff to the weapon name sounds good until you realize that there's already caliber, quality and health appended there. Pretty much the only way to please everyone would be a toggle, which would take a lot of effort to implement for relatively little gain and take time away from other development.

Speaking of, I finally had some time to work on this mod again, so expect an update soon. Among various bugfixes and a buff to sniper rifles you can expect some upgrades to tribals: they can now send sapper raids using stick bombs and have new high tier units that use low-level firearms. Chieftains can occasionally spawn with lower tier assault rifles. And of course their new backpacks ensure they can actually carry all their gear now without running up against the bulk limit.

"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Seven

Weapon classes can be heavily abbreviated. AR, SR, LMG, SMG, SG, GL, RPG etc. can cover most of the major classes with 2-3 characters (+1 if you count the space). Most of those are widely recognized, in some cases more so than the full name (RPG for example, which is even technically a Russian acronym).

On the topic of stick bombs, the AI seems to be very poor at handling them properly. If I place a turret at the front lines with embrasures around or even just in front of it, several pawns will attempt to rush it with melee weapons and promptly get blown to pieces when the pawns with stick bombs get within range. I've literally had raids aborted by stick bomb friendly fire deaths caused by a single turret, and the raids that make it past that point are severely diminished.

Razzoriel

Quote from: Hungry Colonist on August 17, 2017, 05:41:38 PM
Or you could just get used to the weapons real life names. Jesus Christ people, it's not that hard. It's not like the mod has 200 weapons anyway. You came here to download a mod called Combat ->Extended<- and that's what you're getting. I think the autor should focus more on improving the loadout system and fixing issues, rather then spend his time bothering about weapon names that AFAIK are accurate. Their names represent what they are in the game models. It's not like that is rocket science anyway.

Would be great to have something like:
"m24 (sniper rifle)"
"m240b (machine gun)"
Instead of just their names on the machining table recipes, to help you know what kind of weapon you are making. But having them named:
x-machine gun
x-heavy machine gun
x-sniper
x-anti tank sniper
x-pistol
x-oh yeah another pistol
x-semi auto pistol?
Wouldn't help in any way. As you have absolutely no fucking clue what the heck the weapon is.
And as the mod adds new weapons it's gonna become even more ridiculous. That's why people don't name guns like: pistol, auto pistol, pistol 1.2, pistol 1.2 scope edition, etc. It get's even more confusing.
That's not how guns should work.

For example, I'm doing a huge weapon mod. Hundreds. For this problem you're describing, I'm simply making tiers and dividing in categories. Not every time you get a higher tier weapon it means they're 100% better in every way; it simply means that, on average, their stats will be better than a lower tier weapon.

Hungry Colonist

Quote from: Lupin III on August 19, 2017, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: Hungry Colonist on August 17, 2017, 05:41:38 PMYou came here to download a mod called Combat ->Extended<- and that's what you're getting.
You are right it's called "combat extended", and not "learn your guns". I install this mod, because the combat mechanics of the base game are lacking, to say the least, and not to learn random character and number combinations. Those names don't add anything to combat, but make the game tedious whenever you have to deal with guns, be it manufacturing, equipping, buying/selling and scrapping.
My point is, the base game has only one kind of gun for each functionality (AKA only 1 assault rifle, 1 scoped rifle, 1 pistol, etc) so it makes sense not to give the guns specific model names, because it's not really needed.
But CE has different guns with the same purpose in mind, which in turn makes sense to differ them by their names.

He can't name every pistol just "pistol" because there's more than one in the mod, the same goes for every other gun added by the mod. And naming them "american assault rifle, russian sniper rifle" etc, would just be cluttering the already kinda long gun description.

Sure, some abbreviations would be nice for helping the "not gun nuts" identify what weapon it is, so you know what kind of gun you're gonna make when you have never seem that gun in the game.

The thing that needs some better explanation is the production tab.

Hungry Colonist

That's not how guns should work.

For example, I'm doing a huge weapon mod. Hundreds. For this problem you're describing, I'm simply making tiers and dividing in categories. Not every time you get a higher tier weapon it means they're 100% better in every way; it simply means that, on average, their stats will be better than a lower tier weapon.
I don't know if you understood what I said exactly. The approach your taking can work if your weapons are as simplified as the base game.

But with CE, I can take a M1911 or P7 and recall in my head what caliber they use, how they perform, if I use them.

One doesn't need to be better then the other, they both do their thing. It doesn't  necessarily make it easier if they are named Tier I Pistol and Tier II Pistol. Just sticking (pistol) after their names would be enough to make it easier for people who don't know/care about gun names.

Lupin III

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on August 19, 2017, 03:16:41 PM
Pretty much the only way to please everyone would be a toggle, which would take a lot of effort to implement for relatively little gain and take time away from other development.
Now with mod patches how about a small addon mod that just overwrites the labels of all weapons and does nothing else? If someone wants those names, they just load this small mod after CE and CE guns.

Drusek

Minor but annoying bug: I use EPOE and when I install bionic arm I cannot use shields anymore :/ It says I'm missing body part.

thesoupiest

I fucking hate it when a colonist decides to hunker down and become completely unresponsive to all commands. Artillery shells, incendiary rounds, bullets, etc. are flying over his head and his position is rapidly becoming untenable, but there's nothing to be done because this guy that has seen combat dozens of times before is for some reason paralyzed with fear all of a sudden.

Please, make the hunkering down stun mechanic optional.

KappaccinoNation

One question about CE Guns. Can I add it mid-save? I just removed all guns in my colony using dev mode to disable Vanilla Friendly Weapons and it seemed like it worked without any problems. So currently there's no gun equipped or stored in the map.

KLk

Quote from: thesoupiest on August 21, 2017, 12:21:55 PM
I fucking hate it when a colonist decides to hunker down and become completely unresponsive to all commands. Artillery shells, incendiary rounds, bullets, etc. are flying over his head and his position is rapidly becoming untenable, but there's nothing to be done because this guy that has seen combat dozens of times before is for some reason paralyzed with fear all of a sudden.

Please, make the hunkering down stun mechanic optional.
you never had been under gunfire? try to move with artillery shells, incendiary rounds, bullets and so on, flying over you. You will shit your pants, by fear or just beacuse you are dead.

Shagrix

Hello I wanted to know how to make  guns I make for my mod compatible with your mod I really like it and im currently working on a stalker call of rim mod and I would like to make guns in it work with CE thx

WereCat88

Could you make some sort of locker with a quick swap mechanic?

What i mean by that is that there should be a locker-like storage facility (1x1 or 2x1 preferably) that you can assign a loadout to and will hold the items you want (weapons and ammo, maybe even clothing), lockers from which a colonist can be ordered to swap their inventory with the locker inventory (with clothing or without) thus reducing the time needed to search for weapons and ammo and equipping armor while a raid is in progress.
I am The Primal Mammelon

KLk

this mod is incompatible with hospitallity it laggs the game :((((
May it could be fixed?

Hatchet Warrior

Hey. I was wondering if anyone could help me and take a look at the XML errors i'm getting since the install of this mod.

XML Error pastebin

Mod List Loaded in order

Apologize if this is something simple. However I'm not the best when it comes to reading XML errors or figuring out which is what.
Removing all the CE stuff obviously makes it all work.

I can play the game fine. Once I'm actually in game and turn off the "ammo" option everything works fine, but if i leave it on none of the bows have ammo and i cannot craft ammo either.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Just let me know if you need anything more in order to determine where I'm messing this up.