[1.0] Combat Extended - 1.8.2 CE Melee released (17.11.2019)

Started by NoImageAvailable, June 09, 2017, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcmoor

Regarding centipedes in CE, eventhough I think I can handle it by now, I still think they are way too overbuffed compared to everything. One have listed some ways to counter them, usually revolving around 14.5mm and explosives, but I think centipedes are still way too powerful for them. They have both 1. Range, 2. Damage, and 3. Accuracy.

1. Range
They outrange anything in the mod except sniper rifles and KPV machine gun, and only KPV outrange them back. And it's not that bad because they are exactly things you want to use that can actually damage the centipedes significantly, if not because of the next factors.

2. Damage
I've grown to tolerate heavy charge blasters because having shield belt shooters behind a KPV usually is enough to have a fair chance against them. But inferno cannons are very cheating. Anything you can do only gives you one death free ticket against them and even then you KPV is guaranteed to be blown up. PTRS is not a really good match up against any centipede because while it takes several long aiming to have some damage on them, they just one shot your colonists one on one, especially since everyone under their range of fire will absolutely be suppressed at best or dead at worst. Like I side, only KPV is really the one good weapon against them but they are really expensive and not really that accurate. Which brings us to the last point.

3. Accuracy
It's fine to battle against a super weapon that can strike far and hard. But when they can accurately pinpoint any of your colonists and blow them up it enters the realm of unfairness. While a KPV can maybe shot some bullets to a centipede, the centipede will absolutely blast the KPV with the inferno cannon, in almost 90% chance. It makes a very expensive KPV because just like a one time use doomsday or triple rocket. Heck, with much smaller range and much smaller damage "super weapons", they are also much less accurate to shot than those wonderful inferno cannons. I have seen too many times of my colonist try to use some of the one-uses and just cry when they fly some where far beyond eventhough I have used all my wits to have my colonist even close enough to shoot them without being blasted. When they are much stronger than what the game initially regard as a mighty super weapon so strong they can only be used once, I think there is a mistake somewhere.

Then again it's not like it can't be handled. I somehow succeeded to launch a ship on savage even after all of this so it can be done. But again the centipedes are still way too overbuffed. If at least one of those factors are heavily reduced, or maybe have some variants where some centipede are excellent in some but not ALL of them, I would be so happy. If only their range are reduced I can employ some hide and seek with some weapons. If only their damage are reduced I can at least have some interesting extended fights against them. If only their accuracy is reduced I may even begin to love them. But as it is they are something that is not so fun to fight against.

Cainen

You have the wrong approach to fighting them.  Centipedes have enough of a charge-up time to shoot on any of their possible weapons that so long as you have enough weapons and ammo that can deal damage to them relative to their numbers, you can kill them without even getting hit by popping into their LOS, shooting at them with a snap shot, and then getting out of their LOS and waiting for them to move so their aiming fully resets.  A 3 tile deep V shaped wall fortification will let 2 characters get away with that just fine.  The real problem is if the game throws one at you before you have anything that can damage them.

RicRider

Just want to say thank you for this mod. I finally started a new game and am using it and am really enjoying it so far. I use simple sidearms too and it's so much fun switching between a rifle and a recurve bow and having to be very thoughtful about ammunition management and using different weapons on different targets.
##Coding Scrub##

Manu1361

Hello there, really enjoying the mod so far, I got to the point where I researched pulse-charged munitions and I'm loving the charge rifle but I can't find a way to craft the Charge Lance.

I'm looking in my fabrication bench and the recipe is not there. Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Eryx

I think the Charge Lance is the Scyther weapon, right? If not, I've never seen it.

As for dealing with mechanoids, you need to wait until they're within a close enough range to engage them. Wait somewhere in defilade (preferably behind a 'mountain' terrain feature and/or within buildings. There are mods that allow for building generation pre game, it can help. Messes with your sightlines, though.) so that by the time they can see you, you can hit them. Ideally, you'd be able to hit them with an RPG or LAW, otherwise 50. BMG and 14.5mm will do in a pinch. I've never used much of the EMP weaponry, so I can't really comment on that.

Manu1361

Yes the charge lance is the scyther weapon : https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Charge_lance

In the base game I can normally craft it at the fabrication bench but with CE it doesn't show up.

Eryx

I think it's been taken out (with the Precision rifle being a sort of replacement) to help demonstrate the disparities between the tech of your colonists (and people) vs. the tech of the Mechanoids.

Charge weaponry is plenty effective; I typically make do with projectile weaponry up until the end with the exception of selling charge weapons/munitions.

'Lil tip for those who struggle with the mod: you can disable the extra ammunition mechanics to focus on building up your troops with scavenged weaponry rather than struggling raid to raid until you've built up enough research and gear.

Eryx

Also, to the guy saying Centipedes are too hard- well, I won't say they're not but.. there's ways around it.
Small PTRS teams shredding one at a time at a range, MATs in close/medium range conditions.
Grenade launchers have EMP munitions, the XM25 (not in the 'base' CE guns) is highly accurate compared to the 40mm grenades used by the MGL, but I'm not sure if there are 25mm EMPs. The player has plenty of those 'insta kill' weapons available to be able to fire a few back at the Mechs, too. I collect a lot of triple/Doomsday launchers, the first thing I do after a battle is see who'd make useful slaves -> colonists, then I stabilize, and finally I loot. There's always something useful, and if not, sellable. I don't use them much at all other than for selling, I use RPGs/LAWs to take out Mechs just fine, for the most part without casualties.
Slink around buildings and mountains then hit them in the side while they're still moving. I usually am not afraid to set up some poor soul as decoy at the edge of a Centi's range to soak up fire since he'll most likely be ok, since no one is bunching up/forming a bigger target.
Plenty of tree coverage in between you and the Centipede will catch a lot of cannon shells, too. Trees are a real LOS blocker, believe it or not- pawns can target one another and bullets can go 'through' them but they can just as easily be caught.
In general, I'd avoid KPVs because of the vulnerability- I put mine in bunkers with plenty of clean LOS, which means that Inferno shell can be lobbed straight for it- but again, PTRS/D are plenty, and mobile.

Again; you can disable the ammunition system to make it easier.

NoImageAvailable, I have a question- maybe it's sort of a request, too- Is it a technical reason that you don't allow weapons to change their ammunition types when the system is disabled, or is it possible to allow weapons to switch even without the ammo system enabled? I enjoy making casual, combat oriented games from time to time with the ammo disabled to just practice against raids and conduct a few myself, but I like my OG-7 warheads.

Manu1361

Quote from: Eryx on August 15, 2019, 11:38:56 AM
I think it's been taken out (with the Precision rifle being a sort of replacement) to help demonstrate the disparities between the tech of your colonists (and people) vs. the tech of the Mechanoids.

Charge weaponry is plenty effective; I typically make do with projectile weaponry up until the end with the exception of selling charge weapons/munitions.

'Lil tip for those who struggle with the mod: you can disable the extra ammunition mechanics to focus on building up your troops with scavenged weaponry rather than struggling raid to raid until you've built up enough research and gear.

Thanks for the explanation, where can I craft the precision rifle ? I actually cannot find where to craft the rpg/law as well even though I have the researches unlocked.

Eryx

Machining Table.

I'm pretty sure it's 'Simple Launchers' that you need to have researched, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Personally, I don't bother with charge weaponry, so I couldn't tell you what you need researched for it.

dareddevil7

Yo my dude, what if everyone didn't know how to use any weapon imaginable without some kind of background or practice or teaching by another pawn

Tocato

do you think there will ever be a lite version of this mod that just adds something like ammo requirements for example?

Think3r

Quote from: Tocato on August 19, 2019, 07:39:51 PM
do you think there will ever be a lite version of this mod that just adds something like ammo requirements for example?
There already are! Check out Owlchemist's CE ammo mods:
Generic CE Ammo
Simplified CE Ammo
Optimization: CE Ammo
I feel you as I don't want so much ammo variation, either. It would be awesome if these mods would be integrated into the main mod as mod options. Either way, have fun!

Eryx

I know you're not going to continue updating the mod, so maybe this is irrelevant, but would it be possible to make some sort of MAT like the RPG but with more range and accuracy, like the Carl Gustav or LAW 80? Something man portable but not inaccurate and short range like the RPG. Maybe a recoiless gun like the SPG-90?

Binos increasing general accuracy of pawns targeting the target? Like a spotter?

A tactical AI, even if it's as simple as spawning the raid on two sides of the map or something.

Bug: With ammo disabled, there are a number of problems like mortars not working for raiders. Would it be possible to disable infinite ammo for mortars for both balance and sieges?

makute

Hello again,

I come with a suggestion for a small QoL addition that I didn't know I needed until recentrly: Pawns should unload the ammo before storing any gun. Either automatically or via RmB context menu. This way, the player would keep an accurate count of ammo at all times.

Currently, I need to manually unload every looted gun, and whenever I swap weapons around my pawns.

Thanks a lot.