Flooding on coastal maps

Started by ChillinVillian13, June 10, 2017, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillinVillian13

I hate to see when people build their base right up on the coast and only have to worry about 3 sides of their base. I think that if their was a flooding that a neighboring faction warns you about and you have to flee the area in a certain amount of time or else you could have colonists die. The flood should damage some of the buildings and the electronics in the base and could move some furniture/items.

Bozobub

You're starting to add a lot of Dorf to that fortress >.> ...
Thanks, belgord!

BetaSpectre

Seasonal tides/flooding would be a realistic addition though this would belong in the suggestions area.

I'd love to see ships and pirates :DD
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Sirportalez

I don't understand why you hate it how people play their singleplayer game?

Lys

Yeah, such a feature might be realistic and cool, but it could also ruin a playstyle. Similarly how infestations ruined mountain fortresses for me. Mind you, that is speaking about how that is currently implemented, if there are ways for you to counter/prevent it then that would be fine with me.
I suppose for this idea that could be done by building dikes or something, but seeing how the whole thing would require a more elaborate water system, I don't see it coming anytime soon.

milon

jamaicancastle

One major hurdle I see is that there's no sense in Rimworld right now of areas being "low-lying" or otherwise susceptible vs. protected from floods, so it would look a little wonky.

It'd be neat to have seasonal river floods that increase fertility of low-yield tiles they inundate - get your Ancient Egypt on. (Now if only we could build pyramids...) Tides would be interesting, but given the timescale of the game, they'd either need to be freakishly long from an in-game perspective, or they'd be kind of seasickness-inducing for players. :(

Limdood

This should be in the suggestions forum...

TheMeInTeam

Yeah man!  We can put cave-ins for mountain bases too, randomly killing pawns where it happens.  You know, for realism/flavor :D.

If you can build to resist flood or otherwise have decent agency other than "abandon base" which amounts to "don't play in flood regions", then it's one thing.  An upside with a downside in gameplay terms.  Having to abandon base for a time is an enormous price to pay, not to mention on the game's time scale and no modeling of stuff like hurricanes/earthquakes/etc a coastal flood is arbitrary.

River floods are more likely on the game's time scale, but still not all that likely.  Colonists don't have the manpower to set up something like New Orleans, and short of something like a tidal wave or hurricane what kind of floods are you going to see on coast that could actually kill people?

Bozobub

Storm surge flooding is quite common on coasts, actually, and can be very dangerous, especially when combined with a high tide.
Thanks, belgord!

BlazinTheWok

I don't understand why the OP cares how other people play a single player game. Why take time away from features that benefit all to focus on a feature designed to ruin someone else's fun?

milon

Quote from: Limdood on June 12, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
This should be in the suggestions forum...

1. That doesn't add anything - OP can't change the thread location once it's posted.  Just use the Report button and state if you think the thread needs moving/moderation/etc.  Thanks!
2. This, to me, seems to be more discussion-based than suggestion-based.  I think it's in the correct location.  But it's admittedly a blurry line.  ;)

Bozobub

Frankly, unless Z-levels are added (which isn't likely to happen) flooding will be impossible to implement in any kind of sensible way, beyond "flood {x} squares from the water source".  Otherwise, every flood will flood *the entire map*.
Thanks, belgord!

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Bozobub on June 12, 2017, 03:52:27 PM
Storm surge flooding is quite common on coasts, actually, and can be very dangerous, especially when combined with a high tide.

I mentioned hurricanes already though (believe me, I'm well aware of hurricanes since I live in Florida).  Yes, on higher categories of hurricanes you can get water level rising 10-20 ft, which is darned threatening pretty far inland.

However for this to happen on a Rimworld forces a weather model and assumptions that just aren't in the game.  You don't get life-threatening surges from just any storm, not even close.  Throw 150+ mph winds into the equation (less is enough to be threatening on coastline) then it's a different story.

Bozobub

Dangerous storm surges happen quite often with tropical storms, hurricane or not; no, you don't need anything close to 150 mph winds; even 50 mph can be a problem, when combined with high tide to make a "storm tide".  Again, it's NOT particularly rare; I've seen it several times myself while living in MD but only once during an actual hurricane.

Note:  Storm surge flooding has approached 30 feet, at times (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/).  Yes, all of the extremes were during actual hurricanes, not just tropical storms, but we're discussing "dangerous" storm surges, not just "the largest".
Thanks, belgord!