[A17b] Tutorial doesn't mention rotating objects, which can confuse new players.

Started by livejamie, June 12, 2017, 12:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livejamie

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - Apparently, there is no mention in the tutorial about how to rotate objects before placing them, or that it's even possible to do this with objects (there is probably no mention of what the white circle represents when placing objects with a work spot either). Neither of these are bugs per se, but I think they are both omissions which should be addressed to avoid new players encountering the same sort of issue that livejamie did in the original OP of this thread (below the --- )

-------------------------------

In the tutorial I made a mistake by spacing things out too much apparently and I have
no room for this bench.

I can't move or reinstall any of the items in the room and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

Calahan

If you look closely at the bench you should notice the round white circle. This circle indicates where the Pawn needs to stand in order to work at the bench. You can also rotate objects before placing them by using the "Q" and "E" keys, or by using the UI buttons marked "Q" and "E" on the left of the screen (above where the construction cost of the item is displayed).

So if you rotate the bench 180^ then you should be able to place it in the spot indicated in your screenshot, as the only reason you can't place it there is because the standing spot is in the wall (in your screenshot).

Stormfox

What he said.

This also means that there should be a quick hint about turning build options around very early in the tutorial, since its something that can obviously be missed by people not accustomed to builder games.

Btw, I like the detailed error feedback about "interaction spot in wall". Very good call to put that in there so newbies can get a better feeling of WHY certain things do not work.

livejamie

Thanks guys, I feel silly. :p

I would agree that it would be a great part to add as part of the tutorial as I had no idea that was possible.

Calahan

Quote from: livejamie on June 12, 2017, 10:19:06 AM
I would agree that it would be a great part to add as part of the tutorial as I had no idea that was possible.
Must confess I've never played through the tutorial so I have no idea of what is, and isn't included in it. But if there's no mention of how to rotate objects, or even that it's possible at all, then while not a bug, I'd say it's certainly an unnecessary omission. So...

I'll move this back to bugs I think as that's likely the best place for this to be addressed, and it should be a simple addition to make. (I'll edit the thread title as well to better reflect the actual issue / request).

NeverPire

It's really easy to add, just need to add a sentence or some brackets in the tutorial guide to explain the rotating process. I don't think it's necessary to add a real step with the use of it.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

ison

I've added info about rotating buildings. I think that info about interaction spots is not necessary, because the message you get pretty much explains that the interaction spot can't be blocked by anything. Thanks for reporting.